I'm so frustrated...

MissMet

So after MUCH research it seems pregnancy is not covered by any insurance when it comes to canceling. Not even under "cancel for any reason"!!! The pregnancy would have to occur after the insurance was purchased to be covered!!! Ugh. We could get normal insurance & if my husband ends up sick, hurt, etc & we have to cancel, no problem- full refund. However, if I have to cancel due to a complication with my pregnancy- bed rest, medical, etc...that's NOT covered- not even under "preexisting condition"!! Also, any medical issue due to my pregnancy on board is not covered! Unreal. If I trip & fall, which in turn causes a medical emergency with my pregnancy, that's covered, but if I have a complication due to pregnancy that happens "naturally"- not covered. :eek: We are sailing form NY in June & live 30 minutes from the cruise terminal. The ONLY reason we need cruise insurance is in case I have to cancel or have a medical emergency & unless I pay A LOT...none of that's covered. How absurd!! So basically, if you're pregnant, too bad.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge in this specific area??

Edited by MissMet

Sorry you are having no luck finding insurance that works for you but before you go any further, be absolutely certain you will be within the amount of days pregnant the cruise line permits a woman to be and to cruise. If the last day of your cruise is one day past their cut off date, you will not be permitted to board. You also will have to have a letter from your doctor saying you are cleared to travel.

All best wishes.

Sorry you are having no luck finding insurance that works for you but before you go any further, be absolutely certain you will be within the amount of days pregnant the cruise line permits a woman to be and to cruise. If the last day of your cruise is one day past their cut off date, you will not be permitted to board. You also will have to have a letter from your doctor saying you are cleared to travel.

All best wishes.

Thank you. :)

Yes, we even made sure to leave ourselves a two week buffer just in case. I'll be 22 weeks pregnant- NCL doesn't allow after 24 weeks.

So after MUCH research it seems pregnancy is not covered by any insurance when it comes to canceling. Not even under "cancel for any reason"!!! The pregnancy would have to occur after the insurance was purchased to be covered!!! Ugh. We could get normal insurance & if my husband ends up sick, hurt, etc & we have to cancel, no problem- full refund. However, if I have to cancel due to a complication with my pregnancy- bed rest, medical, etc...that's NOT covered- not even under "preexisting condition"!! Also, any medical issue due to my pregnancy on board is not covered! Unreal. If I trip & fall, which in turn causes a medical emergency with my pregnancy, that's covered, but if I have a complication due to pregnancy that happens "naturally"- not covered. :eek: We are sailing form NY in June & live 30 minutes from the cruise terminal. The ONLY reason we need cruise insurance is in case I have to cancel or have a medical emergency & unless I pay A LOT...none of that's covered. How absurd!! So basically, if you're pregnant, too bad.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge in this specific area??

That's not true at all. For one thing a "Cancel For Any Reason" plan allows you to do exactly that. For insurance regulators "ANY" means -- ANY reason. You can just decide not to go for no good reason at all.

Every major insurer that I'm aware of will cover "unforeseeable complications of pregnancy" for trip cancellation/interruption, medical, and emergency evacuation coverages. It might be a little hard to find in the plan wording but it's there.

For example, for the Travel Guard Gold plan (their most popular) their general exclusions include the following:

"(b) Normal Pregnancy or Childbirth, other than Unforeseen

Complications of Pregnancy, or elective abortion."

So, unforeseen complications WOULD be covered as that is an exception to the exclusion.

They even spell out what they consider to be a covered complication of pregnancy:

“Complications of Pregnancy” means conditions whose

diagnoses are distinct from pregnancy but are adversely affected

by pregnancy or are caused by pregnancy. These conditions

include acute nephritis, nephrosis, cardiac decompensation,

missed abortion and similar medical and surgical conditions of

comparable severity. Complications of pregnancy also include

nonelective cesarean section, ectopic pregnancy which is

terminated and spontaneous termination of pregnancy, which

occurs during a period of gestation in which a viable birth is not

possible.

Complications of pregnancy do not include false labor, occasional

spotting, Physician-prescribed rest during the period of

pregnancy, morning sickness, hyperemesis gravidarum,

preeclampsia and similar conditions associated with the

management of a difficult pregnancy not constituting a

nosologically distinct complication of pregnancy."

The "unforeseen" part of the exclusion can come into play if you have already been diagnosed by your OB/GYN as being at risk for a particular problem. If that diagnosis happens prior to purchasing the policy it would not be "ubforeseen" and probably not covered.

One problem is that a normal pregnancy is not considered to be an illness or sickness. Because of that any references to pre-existing medical conditions generally do not apply.

Edited by cruiseco