Just Returned from Valor

Going on the valor on May 18, can't wait! Sounds like you had a great time, just a quick question about embarkment. Do you know what time they started letting people on the ship that don't have the FTTF? What time are the rooms usually ready? Reason I ask is because we are staying in San Juan on Saturday night and weren't sure what time we should try to get on the ship. We would like to spend some time in old San Juan before the ship leaves Sunday night, but were wondering if we should leave our bags at the hotel and board the ship later in the day? Or try to get on the ship early and then get back off and enjoy old San Juan. Essentially we don't want to carry our carry-ons all over San Juan lol.

Thanks for any information you can give me, look forward to your review!

We were on this same cruise..we boarded around noon, without FTTF.. our room was ready and there wasn't much wait to board at all. Good luck!!:)

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. Really glad you had such a good time.

We will be on the Valor sailing 4/27/14 and while this will be our 12th or 13th cruise, we have never done this itinerary.

Can you remember how many other ships were in each port. It think that I read somewhere that one port had 3 other ships but the Valor was the only cruise ship in all of the other ports.

That would be awesome as far as less crowded beaches go.

I you can't remember or just didn't notice, no worries, just hoping you can tell me.

Charlie

We received the same letter and I sail next weekend. We called Carnival and the previous posts are correct. You only need the vaccination if you've been in a country where Yellow Fever exists. If you haven't, you should be good to go!

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. Really glad you had such a good time.

We will be on the Valor sailing 4/27/14 and while this will be our 12th or 13th cruise, we have never done this itinerary.

Can you remember how many other ships were in each port. It think that I read somewhere that one port had 3 other ships but the Valor was the only cruise ship in all of the other ports.

I you can't remember or just didn't notice, no worries, just hoping you can tell me.

Charlie

On the week of 4/27 in St Thomas the Valor will be with Norwegian Gem, Celebrity Summit, and Holland America Veendam, it will be alone on all other ports.

The Veendam will also be in San Juan on your embarkation.

Another FYI on Barbados. They DO NOT allow anything camoflauge, not even back packs.

There was a gentleman turned away that had on shorts. He had to go back to the ship to change.

He wasn't happy.

Yes, it's an odd local Security-paranoia quirk we have on the island.

Only applies to Jungle Camouflage.

If you wear winter Snow Camo (all white) nobody even notices. :)

But it's even funnier, if you can call it that! Every night of life

our very own "local" Barbados citizens wear night-camo/burglar-camo (all black)

and then walk the poorly-lit,narrow roads without sidewalks

completely unaware they're quite invisible to drivers

How more of them don't get squashed is amazing!

-and I live here?!! :eek:

I was on the Valor in January and LOVED it. Another FYI on Barbados. They DO NOT allow anything camoflauge, not even back packs. There was a gentleman turned away that had on shorts. He had to go back to the ship to change. He wasn't happy.

They announce that on the ship, and put it in the fun times.

Charlie

Changes every week. When we went, The Splendor was also in San Juan, and we met up with her in St Thomas. After that, we were the only ship in port for every other stop.

I was on the Valor in January and LOVED it. Another FYI on Barbados. They DO NOT allow anything camoflauge, not even back packs. There was a gentleman turned away that had on shorts. He had to go back to the ship to change. He wasn't happy.

Why no camo? Not that we wear any.

Charlie

Charlie here is a link that will answer your question on number of ships in port

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

I'll also be cruising Valor on Apr. 20. Can people (my Mother in law) still buy a bottle of rum on pier right before boarding in San Juan? We did this 5 years ago... They let us take a bottle onboard.... Right in our backpack. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The first time we were in Barbados it was in The FunTimes known as The Capers back then about the camoflouge. While on our tour our guide told us a local had been brutally raped this was a long time ago as our first visit was 1999. He went on to say that the man who committed the crime had stolen camoflouge from a clothes line and that's what he was wearing at the time. The gov't there made it a law a banned the camoflouge out of respect the the girls family.

I am not sure if this is true or not but what our guide told us in 1999.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While on our tour our guide told us a local had been brutally raped this was a long time ago as our first visit was 1999.

He went on to say that the man who committed the crime had stolen camoflouge from a clothes line

and that's what he was wearing at the time.

The gov't there made it a law a banned the camoflouge out of respect the the girls family.

I am not sure if this is true or not but what our guide told us in 1999.

I never heard that story locally, but it wouldn't be surprising... :cool:

It's certainly within the realm of possibilities.

The Public Reason/excuse is that the authorities

don't want anyone impersonating Barbados Defence Force personnel

...which might/not tie in with the awful rape story..