reduced deposit

mamieof3

Hi All, I have been getting emails from various Travel Agencies announcing big sales on different cruises/cruiselines and most of them include a 'Reduced Booking Deposit'. I am not new to cruising but I definitely do not have under my belt as many cruises as a lot of you so please excuse my ignorance. What is the benefit of a 'Reduced Booking Deposit' - I mean, don't you still have to pay the full quoted cost of the cruise or does this 'Reduced Deposit' reflect a discount you are getting by booking. In my mind, I have never understood the benefit - you pay now or pay later is what I always thought but now I am not so sure. I would appreciate some clarification. Thank you in advance. Janie

Hi All, I have been getting emails from various Travel Agencies announcing big sales on different cruises/cruiselines and most of them include a 'Reduced Booking Deposit'. I am not new to cruising but I definitely do not have under my belt as many cruises as a lot of you so please excuse my ignorance. What is the benefit of a 'Reduced Booking Deposit' - I mean, don't you still have to pay the full quoted cost of the cruise or does this 'Reduced Deposit' reflect a discount you are getting by booking. In my mind, I have never understood the benefit - you pay now or pay later is what I always thought but now I am not so sure. I would appreciate some clarification. Thank you in advance. Janie

Janie - You are correct, you're still paying the full quoted cruise. The reduced deposits seem to be $50 per person instead of the normal $200 per person. I think for some it's easier to put down the $50 since it's such a small amount.

Janie - You are correct, you're still paying the full quoted cruise. The reduced deposits seem to be $50 per person instead of the normal $200 per person. I think for some it's easier to put down the $50 since it's such a small amount.

Thank you CocoaMom :) Glad to know I haven't been missing out on a real bargain but it probably wouldn't matter because when my internal clock says it is time to cruise, then it's time, and dang the price, I gotta get my 'cruise fix' :eek:

Edited by mamieof2

I think there are a lot of Carnival passengers who look very closely at the price from more of a cash flow perspective than a total cost perspective. They are more focused on what has to be paid when than they are on the total cost.

Needless to say, you are right -- you have to pay the full amount one way or the other. But I think the deposit might be a barrier to some that they are trying to eliminate or at least reduce.

From my perspective, the cost of airfare, hotel, transfers, etc. makes the size of the deposit immaterial. But that said, I will always be happy to defer the same payment to a later date if I can. It is just simple economics.

We always seem to decide to book our next cruise around the time that final payment is due for the cruise that we have already booked. The reduced deposit helps us so that we can go ahead and book and get our desired cabins and dining time without having to shell out a large chunk of money. We have 2 kids so when we book an 8 day cruise with a $300 deposit X4, it is alot to pay out on top of a final payment. I can always get DH to agree to booking a whole lot easier when its reduced deposit!:D

We always seem to decide to book our next cruise around the time that final payment is due for the cruise that we have already booked. The reduced deposit helps us so that we can go ahead and book and get our desired cabins and dining time without having to shell out a large chunk of money. We have 2 kids so when we book an 8 day cruise with a $300 deposit X4, it is alot to pay out on top of a final payment. I can always get DH to agree to booking a whole lot easier when its reduced deposit!:D

I hear you! We always book our flights as soon as we book our cruise (often, we have expedia open and the flights selected and just hit "book" as soon as we're off the phone with Carnival). So when we know we'll be paying, say, $3,500+ for four return flights, it is nice to be able to put down just $200 for the cruise deposit and then pay the other $4,000 for the cabins a couple months later.

That makes a lot of sense. Since it is just myself with friends or my DH and myself these days, and since we always drive to the ports, I just really hadn't thought of flight costs, kids, etc... And, if you get the added benefit of a 'gentle nudge' towards next booking, then heck ya, totally makes sense :)

Much more than a "good" advertising ploy... Since obviously it is working very well. I'm like a few of the other posters, will pay the full amount anyway and it doesn't impact us either way with a $50 deposit or $400 deposit. We do have to pay for airfare but since our cruises are out of Florida (for the most part), SW usually has good rates and we tend to book early.

Steve

We booked this too!!!! Nice to just have a $150 deposit, vs. a $900 deposit:eek::eek:

While we can afford to pay it now, we'll hang onto the money until 30 days before:rolleyes:

Just be careful with this promotion. If you see a price drop, and that particular "sale" or "fare" is NOT a reduced deposit sale, you will need to put the full deposit down at that time, or your reservation will be cancelled!!!!!

Read a few stories on here months back, where the Carnival rep left out that important piece of information.:rolleyes:

For me this is of no benefit, other than "sounding good" and a good advertising ploy. :)

Then to you any deposit amount must be of no benefit and you may as well pay in full as soon as you book! Do You? Good Luck to you if you can:)

What would be the benefit to anyone in parting with a higher deposit than required? for those who need pay a deposits that is:D:D:D

Everybody! Everybody! FINALLY a question I can answer here on Cruise Critic! You guys have all helped me so much, I'm glad to be able to contribute.

Your deposit is the part that's non-refundable if you have to cancel....so paying a $50 deposit is HUGE.

Case in point - earlier this year we booked a family cruise when the $50 deposit was offered. One of my family members was diagnosed with a tumor on her spinal chord and had to cancel. Instead of losing her $250 deposit, she only lost $50.

So.... besides the obvious benefit of families being able to budget, the cancel fee is a benefit too!

Edited by DalesWife

Everybody! Everybody! FINALLY a question I can answer here on Cruise Critic! You guys have all helped me so much, I'm glad to be able to contribute.

Your deposit is the part that's non-refundable if you have to cancel....so paying a $50 deposit is HUGE.

Case in point - earlier this year we booked a family cruise when the $50 deposit was offered. One of my family members was diagnosed with a tumor on her spinal chord and had to cancel. Instead of losing her $250 deposit, she only lost $50.

So.... besides the obvious benefit of families being able to budget, the cancel fee is a benefit too!

Well Done:)

We booked from Australia and anything can happen when you book far out so reduced deposit with ES is a no brainer and a definite benefit to those who may need to cancel:)

:D Aw Thanks! I got all excited for a minute there! I'm glad I was able to contribute when so many of you have helped me![/quote

It was in my opinion the best answer to the question many have regarding the actual value of Reduced deposit :)

We've taken advantage of reduced deposits a couple of times. Sometimes it's easier to convince DH to shell out $500 than $1000 (normally we're booking for 4).

But remember if you book at reduced deposit and go in to make any changes prior to final payment, then you need to make up and pay the rest of the deposit.

It might also be beneficial to sign up for a reduced deposit very early and save longer for the cruise, locking in the early saver rate. As opposed to waiting until you have the full deposit saved up and maybe not getting the lowest rate available. Not an automatic discount, but might be a savings if it would take you out of the early saver rate to wait to save the deposit?

Then to you any deposit amount must be of no benefit and you may as well pay in full as soon as you book! Do You? Good Luck to you if you can:)

What would be the benefit to anyone in parting with a higher deposit than required? for those who need pay a deposits that is:D:D:D

No I do not have to, "save up" for cruises. A couple hundred dollars difference is of no benefit to me, paying now or later. I will still have the overall cruise price the SAME, no matter what the deposit is. My priority is the cruise price.

Edited by Budget Queen

This is a good point. That said, as I mentioned above, in my scenario, it means I'm losing $3,700 instead of $4,100.

No I do not have to, "save up" for cruises. A couple hundred dollars difference is of no benefit to me, paying now or later. I will still have the overall cruise price the SAME, no matter what the deposit is. My priority is the cruise price.

So do you pay a deposit when you book a cruise or just pay in Full at booking:confused:

If you do pay a deposit only at first then what is the benefit to you when the overall cruise price is the same!

So do you pay a deposit when you book a cruise or just pay in Full at booking:confused:

If you do pay a deposit only at first then what is the benefit to you when the overall cruise price is the same!

Bump because I think it needs an answer!

For those who think reduced deposit is pointless isnt any amount of deposit pointless:confused:

In my opinion a reduced deposit booking offer is the same as a regular booking just Carnival wants less up front!

I can only see reduced deposit being of "no benefit" to those who pay in full at booking stage.

A deposit is a deposit reduced or not! the cruise line sets the rules so reduced deposit when available is the correct deposit required to book that cruise:)

• 9 months later...
Now 50% off deposit allows you to pick cabins and get price drops...correct?

Simple answer is yes, if you book a rate that allows this.

If you book ES with a 50% deposit,

The thing you need to watch is when you price match to a different rate to save money.

Make sure the new rate is also 50% deposit. If not you will need to pay the remainder of the deposit immediately.

If not there is a good chance your whole booking will be canceled for not having deposit paid in full

We often utilize a TA in order to take advantage of their booking incentives. No or reduced deposit offerings. Makes for planning a lot easier. I can get the exact cabin I want and start planning knowing I have a solid booking in place. At the end of the day, the cruise has to be paid for regardless. Being able to book early gives me an advantage on room choice. If that doesn't matter to you, then book last minute where the deals are usually pretty good.

The TA we use is fantastic and twice has waived the booking fee, because we are repeat customers. And thanks to it, we have two cruises booked. First for us. We love booking this way. YMMV.