Getting to Maho Beach landing path from the Port

Ncsblj6430

The best way would be to simply share a taxi (with others from the ship). An alternative would be to rent a car at the port...which gives you access to anywhere on the island. There is actually some free parking at Maho along the road (off to the left on the far side of the beach).

Hank

If you go into town you can get a bus (minivan with license plate that begins BUS) for $2 each way. Bus stops are about every 2 blocks on Back Street which is the road behind Front Street where all the shopping is. I just did this last month and busses come by every couple of minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Be sure to find out how many ships are in port with you... and what their passenger capacity is... as that really changes the experience at Maho. We go every time we visit the island, but this time, because some big ships are scheduled to be in when we are, we decided to do a private boat charter that will tour the island and, the last stop, is to swim at Maho as the big European jets fly over.

All other times we have taken a taxi... sometimes we go early (even though the big guys come in the afternoon) to get a seat at the beach bar there for optimal viewing. Other times, we haven't needed to hustle, as we were the only ship in port.

You have probably seen it said over on the shore excursion boards, but do leave plenty of time to get back to the ship, as the taxi can hit some tough traffic on the way back to port.

It is so amazing, so worthwhile... I wouldn't dream of missing it!

Enjoy.

For me, 15-passenger taxi van is the only way to go. Load up the van and it's US$8 each way, per person. On a heavy port-load day (there were a total of 6 cruise ships in port; not counting those who were just there on vacation), traffic getting back to the port can be a real problem, as there's really only one direct route. We left around 3:00 and it took almost 2 hours to get back (as opposed to 20 minutes to get to the beach). Some ship-sponsored groups got back about 30 minutes after all-aboard time. Had they been on their own, the ship would probably have left.

Sunset Bar is a good place to sit and watch the planes. Decent bar food if you get hungry. We were on a cruise that ended in St. Maarten and we nearly missed our flight home - we were having so much fun watching the jumbo jets land as well as watching the insane people standing behind the jet blast area during the take-off roll.

Parts of the beach have a steep drop-off, so be forewarned if you get into the water.

i would also caution you NOT to participate in "fence hanging" as the planes take off.

it LOOKED like fun when we watched others do it, so we jumped in for the next one.

After being showered with sand, pelted with gravel, losing everything not tied down (hats, sunglasses etc.) i found myself yelling MAKE IT STOP! about halfway through.

Better to watch the takeoff from the bar, the landings though are awesome.

i would also caution you NOT to participate in "fence hanging" as the planes take off.

it LOOKED like fun when we watched others do it, so we jumped in for the next one.

The girl about two thirds of the way through this is an example why not to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CGqx1Y2T8c

But definitely worth seeing from a safe distance!

The girl about two thirds of the way through this is an example why not to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CGqx1Y2T8c

But definitely worth seeing from a safe distance!

We stand where the video was shot. It is close enough to get all the excitement without the traumatic head injury.

Last time there I shot a video, after plane gone, the ocean was littered with flip flops and the most water logged backpack I have ever seen. Someone swam out to retrieve it. It still makes me laugh every time I watch it.

The number of ships in port can make or break this experience. The last few times that we decided to visit Sunset Bar and watch the planes there were five to six large ships in port. The place was a zoo and took away from the fun. Get there early if you want to hang out for a while.

We rented a car both times we have been there and drove around the island.

It was fantastic, easy, and very affordable!

Loved Maho Beach! I could have stayed there all day. Such a rush, there is nowhere like it! :0)

[ATTACH]304676[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Very nice photo!!!!

Actually, I have to say that - I took the photo on my Disney Magic cruise in October 2006! :D

Below is a larger version of the photo, followed by another photo apparently taken by the woman directly in front of me. I found her photo on the internet and thought what an amazing coincidence! It's fun comparing the two photos to see what is different in each photo.

Thanks for posting it!

St.%20Maarten%20landing.JPG

St.%20Maarten%20landing%20other%20person%20photo.jpg

Edited by boogs

Consider going to Orient Beach for a few hours first, then concluded with a visit to Maho Beach to watch the planes land.

We took a cab to each location. The water at Orient Beach is crystal clear and you can rent a lounge chair that includes a watered down drink. It is clothing optional, but 99% had the usual beach wear. There is a beach further down if you are feeling "more" comfortable with your body. And bring sun screen, as that Carribean sun is some serious stuff!

Then take a cab to Maho Beach to grab lunch and watch the planes. After that a cab ride back to port.

Be sure to find out how many ships are in port with you... and what their passenger capacity is... as that really changes the experience at Maho. We go every time we visit the island, but this time, because some big ships are scheduled to be in when we are, we decided to do a private boat charter that will tour the island and, the last stop, is to swim at Maho as the big European jets fly over.

All other times we have taken a taxi... sometimes we go early (even though the big guys come in the afternoon) to get a seat at the beach bar there for optimal viewing. Other times, we haven't needed to hustle, as we were the only ship in port.

You have probably seen it said over on the shore excursion boards, but do leave plenty of time to get back to the ship, as the taxi can hit some tough traffic on the way back to port.

It is so amazing, so worthwhile... I wouldn't dream of missing it!

Enjoy.

Can you tell me who you are doing the private boat charter with? I like the idea of seeing the planes land at Maho that way.

Thanks.