.......idle jottings

ho-hum

H H,

I am glad I asked!!...especially since you bring up the detail about hand sanitizers...children and food stations= gross!

10, made me laugh out loud!! Haha! But in all seriousness! you definitely make a good point...you should make sure they get these things in order before our Feb 14th date please!:eek:

Ho hum "is but a lone voice in the wilderness"......if you feel as Ho hum does then let Sea Dream know to promote more sanitary procedures onboard and announcement on first night and place more hand sanitizers around.

Your health is the most important issue.

Sailing with two gay guys (verging on chronic OCD !) taught me the virtue of even more scrupulous sanitary procedures, especially when travelling.

Washing and scrubbing in hot water should be "de rigeur", n'est pas ?

Seabourn Spirit

You could say Seabourn Spirit is a pretty looking ship as we tied up in front of her in Bridgetown, Barbados this morning.

HH was told it is the last of the small Seabourn vessels to be sold to Windstar later this year.

The view is that it has declined in standards in recent years. HH cannot confirm or deny this, having never been on it but that is the "word on the street" (or should that be the deck).

And then it "farted" ! Out came this thick black smoke ! Yuk ! OK a little later it stopped but that goy old HH wondering, did the new owners get a guy to check the engine, clutch, brake pedal, exhaust and all other relevant parts ?

If it were HH it would be sent straight back to the garage that sold it.

"Hey get this fixed and throw in a set of new tyres" (or whatever the nautical equivalent is).

HH doesn't think if he ever cHeated on SD it would be with Europa 2 as one suspects it lacks soul.....HHH needs.

Perfection is not all that !

Yes its a sure pretty ship.

How many passengers ? 200

Another issue with mechanical problems and chums of HH will be looking around for alternatives. Of course the 25% offer from shoreside management and the mechanical repairs which seem to be holding up have quelled grumbles (for now) but is there a real alternative ?

And lo and behold, blondie's been on it many years ago with a girlfriend.

Yes great cabins but the outside space and pool is dreadful and no real outside dining. What !

So a no go then ? Definitely not !

Well, the Commodore and Lady Gail will be sailing on Seabourn Spirit in two weeks with another couple from Barbados to St. Maarten. Going with relative newbies whose only prior cruising experience has been SD in late 2013 in Costa Rica with us, and then with Tauck on their own in the Galapagos this past November.

Hope they enjoy it as much as SD, but it was their suggestion to try SB given the significant price difference of about $1,500 at the time we booked. Now with HH's comments, I am beginning to worry we may have made the wrong choice.

However, we have sailed on the SB triplets before and enjoy them, but have not tried them in the Caribbean. It will be interesting. A full report will follow after we return home.

Edited by commodoredave

Well, the Commodore and Lady Gail will be sailing on Seabourn Spirit in two weeks with another couple from Barbados to St. Maarten. Going with relative newbies whose only prior cruising experience has been SD in late 2013 in Costa Rica with us, and then with Tauck on their own in the Galapagos this past November.

Hope they enjoy it as much as SD, but it was their suggestion to try SB given the significant price difference of about $1,500 at the time we booked. Now with HH's comments, I am beginning to worry we may have made the wrong choice.

However, we have sailed on the SB triplets before and enjoy them, but have not tried them in the Caribbean. It will be interesting. A full report will follow after we return home.

Of course you will all have a great time BUT a new waiter on SD has reported about the chaos on SB !

He could'nt bear it any longer: dont know if it was your specific ship.

The cabins seem vastly superior at least.

Have also been told that when it finally transfers to WINDSTAR, the crew of 180 will be culled to 120 !

If the service is bad now...what will it be like then ?

So Dave at least you are travelling whilst it's still Seabourn.

But yes, please let us have your views.

The price difference is brilliant but it is reflecting a declining standard before handover to Windstar. Think of it as a bargain but " pack your own lunches" !!

Of course you will all have a great time BUT a new waiter on SD has reported about the chaos on SB !

He could'nt bear it any longer: dont know if it was your specific ship.

The cabins seem vastly superior at least.

Have also been told that when it finally transfers to WINDSTAR, the crew of 180 will be culled to 120 !

If the service is bad now...what will it be like then ?

So Dave at least you are travelling whilst it's still Seabourn.

But yes, please let us have your views.

The price difference is brilliant but it is reflecting a declining standard before handover to Windstar. Think of it as a bargain but " pack your own lunches" !!

The Commodore and Lady Gail do not cruise to lose weight, so there will be no packed lunches. However, there may be a few posh meals ashore!

The truly sad thing is that regardless of whether this cruise is up to past SB standard or not, it will be one of the last few voyages on these wonderful small ships. So we have mixed emotions. On one hand, we are grateful for a final opportunity to sail on one of our favourite luxury ships. On the other hand, small luxury ships seem to be going the way of the Do-Do bird.

After the last of the SB triplets is handed over to Windstar, the small ship luxury market will be smaller. And how much longer will the SD ships survive given their age and their need for significant costly upgrades?

So we will enjoy this cruise to the max and then hope SD sticks around longer than we do!

Sundance (aka Raggy)??

Yes, Angelina, Tiger, Atle, Miss Marple, Angela Merkel, Sundance !

They all arrived on SEA DREAM I !!!!!

Father waves to son, brother waves to brother, sister waves to sister and lovers wave and blow kisses to lovers.

Hello H H...

Hope your having a Great time on our Yacht!? Please enjoy the comforts while we are away...but do make sure you replenish my only bottle of Calvados!...

Hahahaha!

Also, was wondering if you had an inside scoop on this group that will be joining us on feb 14? Not too worried unless it's 30 cabins of other Quebeckers! :eek:

I think 4 of us is all that's required at one time....😝 mon dieux !! lol

Rolled in last night, a bit later than usual due to one lady guest sustaining an injury whilst out hiking on Nevis.

She is safe and sound but it involved a hospital visit incurring a slight delay arriving. Sadly she is leaving to-day to receive further treatment.

SD were marvellous.

Our neighbours in the harbour is Roman Abramovich's yacht "Eclipse".

A photo will be uploaded but whether it can be sent is questionable as the internet has become very poor.

It is the most perfect day here.

image.jpg.f29843421464e99e90d7ba3b62dda2cf.jpg

I've seen her (Eclipse) before -- she is lovely! Isn't her owner also the owner of Chelsea? If so, there is a story that he gave a lavish NYE party a few years ago on St. Barth's and flew in the Black Eyed Peas for entertainment. . . .

Oh, to be that rich!

Vandrefalk

I've seen her (Eclipse) before -- she is lovely! Isn't her owner also the owner of Chelsea? If so, there is a story that he gave a lavish NYE party a few years ago on St. Barth's and flew in the Black Eyed Peas for entertainment. . . .

Oh, to be that rich!

Vandrefalk

All true except HH does not envy his wealth one jot

Chatting to a really funny couple last night, we swopped stories of encounters with fellow passengers who deem it necessary to explain in great details various mis-adventures that have befallen them in graphic, earnest and extremely monotone detail.

The light atmosphere of the voyage suddenly plunges into panic as you try to attend earnestly to each and every nuance of misfortune this, one of life's victim has passed through.

You check yourself that you are being seen as attending to every heartfelt passage of misery so as to be seen as completely sympathetic.

You look directly at them, maybe tilt your head to one side as if wounded by the catalogue of disasters that some how have befallen them in their "travail of sorrows".

Of course you dont say a word in the vain hope that this cavalcade of downright misery will pass swiftly through your "town".

Fellow attendees have somehow cleverly slinked away, one by one, leaving just you and another "schmuck" playing this game of "who goes away first". Each of us rattling our brains to come up with a valid excuse to depart whilst retaining some semblance of sympathy for the person quietly uttering this confidential tirade of mis-fortune and occasional injustices thrown in to spice up the mix.

The other remaining fellow passenger is approached by the Club Director and asked to spare a second to sort out a problem with a future booking.

Why can't I have a problem with a booking, a flooded cabin, a changed spa appointment, hotel manager correcting tonights attire of snorkel and swimming trunks, any damn thing.

Just get me out of here.

Promise God, I'll call you. Just get me out of hereeeeeee.

You are now left all alone retreating backwards as if being approached by a huge black bear, then you feel your back is pinned to the railings, you turn round to see the black swirling waters below.

Now you are really trapped.

Blondie help.

You sneekily glance over the shoulder to see if anyone is around. The vessel of 100 passengers have traipsed off to dinner and still the onslaught continues. Where the hell is everybody ?

Help you scream inside. Where are the waiters ? Oh God we are now approaching another territory of despair when the words "and you know the really worst thing that happened" are spoken.

We have'nt got to the worst ? Oh God !

Then blondie appears "where have you been ? We are waiting to eat !"

Thank God. You rush off and mouth "lets catch up later".

There then follows a week of subterfuge avoiding them. But each cunning tactic of avoidance is urgently rehearsed with blondie before even stepping out of the cabin in case of "Close Encounters".

Which reminds Ho Hum to tell you of his recurring ear infection.

Dont go away.

OK talk later.