Whitepass Train Questions & Holland America Line

Hello All,

My daughter and I will be going on Holland America in June 2014 to Alaska. We will be in Skagway and have tickets for the Whitepass. What I am wondering is does the cruiseship passengers board on the train first at the pier or the people at the station in town in Skagway? I am also wondering which side of the train is the most scenic best side to sit on?

If anyone has any tips for an Alaskan cruise on Holland America let me know as we are going June 4th, 2014 Thanks all

Dawn

Hello All,

My daughter and I will be going on Holland America in June 2014 to Alaska. We will be in Skagway and have tickets for the Whitepass. What I am wondering is does the cruiseship passengers board on the train first at the pier or the people at the station in town in Skagway? I am also wondering which side of the train is the most scenic best side to sit on?

If anyone has any tips for an Alaskan cruise on Holland America let me know as we are going June 4th, 2014 Thanks all

Dawn

We took the train excursion thru RCCL and we got on the train where the ship docks - I'm assuming that it would probably be the same with HAL. And if they still do it the same way it doesn't matter which side of the train you sit on - everyone switched sides at the top so you see both sides. Incredible trip. If you have a chance check out the town - there's a little gold rush museum that gives you a really good idea of what the miners had to endure.

You will usually get more in-depth answers to specific Alaska questions on the Alaska board, from people who live in Alaska, or who have made a hobby of cruising to Alaska :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Regarding Holland America specific questions, the HAL board has tons of info, and plenty of helpful posters who do a lot of cruising on HAL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&f=171

Enjoy your cruise, you've chosen a great destination!

Remember -- if you rent a car -- the driver doesn't see as much as the passenger.

We have done the train 3 times and loved it. We have done it on Princess and HAL.

HAL passengers got on first -- we went shown to our own car. It was a bit of a walk as HAL doesn't dock where Princess does and uses a different set of rails before joining the main line going up the mountain.

We always get seats on the "port" side of the train going up. At the top the seats are flipped so that no one rides backwards on the way down. And you do switch sides.

The first time we did the train, the seats were wooden. But the last couple of times they were padded.

I also think that Donder1 is referring to Murray's Guide.

We've taken the train several times, and also have driven the highway (both using a rental from Avis and also have taken our own vehicle into Skagway from the AlCan Hwy. I'm not sure which I prefer -- the drive or the WP&YRR as both are scenic.

The WP&YRR has sidings near the cruise ship piers. Depending on where your ship is docked on that particular day the walk won't be far at all to the rail cars. Also, on the way out of Skagway consider sitting on the left side of the rail car if you can.

We have taken the White Pass Train twice, the latest last September. Just a reminder you need passports. The agents had us hold our passports next to our face as they walked through. I spent most of my time in the vestibule and got some awesome pictures. Have fun on your tour.:)