NCL Getaway Mondavi Wine List

We are perplexed. NCL announced some months ago that the Michael Mondavi Family was parterning to create a fantastically upgraded wine list for the entire NCL fleet and that it would be debuted on NCL Getaway's sailings. Since then there has been no information regarding the debut released. No one at NCL concierge seems to know anything about it. Do any of you who cruised the first four Caribbean cruises have any information regarding this matter? We are cruising soon and need to know if we should bring our own wine.

• 3 weeks later...

My apologizes for the slightly necromanced post, but I thought I'd chime in here in the hopes you hadn't sailed yet.

NCL has their new fleetwide wine list up!

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_03172014.pdf

I've been nervously waiting for this list as I'm not a huge Mondavi fan. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike their wine. It's always, at worst, decent. But I've also never found one of theirs to be blow-your-mind-spectacular, where you tell everyone you know about it. My personal preference is to risk getting an absolute horrible wine on the chance to get something amazing. Everyone's preferences differ.

I will say though, while I'm only down to the sparkling wines, the list is interesting enough to have caught my attention enough to rush here to see what others think.

Although it's got a date of March 17 on it. Do you really think it's been out for over a week and no one has noticed?

So what does everyone else think of the list?

Edit: Harumph. And it started out so well. Seriously, the only dessert wine is the Inniskillin sold by the glass? Of course, Cab Sauv's are over-represented. And how on earth do you miss the Pinot Noirs and Merlots coming out of Australia? I don't know where they've been for the last decade but the Shiraz's are hardly the only thing work drinking out of the region of the world.

Edited by Cretia

My feeling is the new list is tailored to the NCL customer demographic. Its a user friendly list (good price points). Has some good wines and the generic White Zinfandel. Too bad NCL doesn't have a reserve list on its ships. I can only assume that the reason they don't is because of the bring your own wine on board and pay the $15 corkage fee. Why carry the expensive inventory across the fleet. People have their favorite wines, I know I do and will be bringing on about a case, none of which are on their list :D. Gaja, Caymus Special Selection, Rothschild...oh yea ;)

Maybe I am being a bit harsh.

I will agree with miataman19 that the price points are very friendly and while I'm not a Sauv Blanc fan, that list was surprisingly diverse considering it's an out-of-fashion grape (or has it finally been out so long that it's now back in?).

david_sobe is correct that the Malbec selection isn't bad and when added to the two Carmaneres, it's a nice South American presence that isn't normally found on your average wine lists.

Still, the lack of dessert wines, the scarcity of roses, and the single Gewurz (from Washington no less!) are disappointing and, worse, not surprising. It's amazing how many people who have sworn off wine that I've suckered back in with the sweeter wines and it always depresses me that the professionals don't seem to get that when it comes to expanding the wine drinking public.

It's also not always about expensive wines. It's about trying something new and different. While I appreciate NCL's corkage policy, I don't like bringing my own wine, largely because I like trying new things. I was hoping to throw my money at NCL's new wine list, but since I'll be in Italy, I'll just have to console myself with local wines in the ports. I suppose it's not that great of a sacrifice for anyone but the friend I would have shipped the wine to (purchasing extra for him out of politenss of course :D) that I would have done if I had been drinking the onboard list.

My feeling is the new list is tailored to the NCL customer demographic. Its a user friendly list (good price points). Has some good wines and the generic White Zinfandel. Too bad NCL doesn't have a reserve list on its ships. I can only assume that the reason they don't is because of the bring your own wine on board and pay the $15 corkage fee. Why carry the expensive inventory across the fleet. People have their favorite wines, I know I do and will be bringing on about a case, none of which are on their list :D. Gaja, Caymus Special Selection, Rothschild...oh yea ;)

Thank you very much for sharing the list. Being new here I have a question. Miataman19, can I ask what you do with the case of wine from the time you board till you can get in your room. Is there a place for you to store your carry on times until your room is ready. We are sailing May 10th and want to take some wine and soda on board but am concerned with it getting heavy to carry around till room is ready. Thank you