Spring Break in Texas: Review of Navigator of the Seas March 9, 2014

Hello Cruise2014Fanatic: After your post here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1988203

I booked this Courtyard Marriott for my cruise. Any info you can share is greatly appreciated. How was the hotel? Any restaurants within eating distance? Is it truly within walking distance to NASA? Did you use cabs for transportation, if so do you remember the cost?

Apologies to OP for hijacking this thread.

Don't have time to do a longer review this morning, but it was a great hotel. About 30 min from the port... Very close to kemah... Right across street from nasa... Seems to be brand new... Very nice for a courtyard. Highly recommend.

Did you all have to get tender tix on Belize last week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't wait in the tender ticket line for a ticket. They called all the tender ticket numbers in about an hour. Unless you have an excursion there's no need to rush to shore.

Edited by houstoncruisers2001
sp

Sorry if this has already been addressed - haven't read all the replies yet - it did say in the compass that if you were not on an RCI excursion you had to pick up tender tickets. There was a crowd waiting to pick them up as we were headed to the theater to meet our group.

If you are on any excursion, even booked outside of RCI, you do not need a tender ticket. You can go down as soon as the boat is docked. You do need to have confirmation of your excursion with you.

I tried to pick up tender tickets at Two Poets, and they wouldn't give them to me, because they said I didn't need them. And, I didn't.

Edited by buckeyeintx

If you are on any excursion, even booked outside of RCI, you do not need a tender ticket. You can go down as soon as the boat is docked. You do need to have confirmation of your excursion with you.

I tried to pick up tender tickets at Two Poets, and they wouldn't give them to me, because they said I didn't need them. And, I didn't.

I didn't see anyone asking for confirmation. It just looked like a free for all (not surprising).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So, are you saying you were on an independent excursion that needed to tender early, and no tickets were needed?

When you went to try to pickup tender tickets and were told you didn't need them, are you Diamond plus?

The compass this last week says they were needed, so this is different information than that shared by others.

I didn't see anyone asking for confirmation. It just looked like a free for all (not surprising).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree. I didn't see any one asking to see any tickets at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Hello Cruise2014Fanatic: After your post here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1988203

I booked this Courtyard Marriott for my cruise. Any info you can share is greatly appreciated. How was the hotel? Any restaurants within eating distance? Is it truly within walking distance to NASA? Did you use cabs for transportation, if so do you remember the cost?

Apologies to OP for hijacking this thread.

The hotel is fairly and nice. It is right across the street from NASA. There are several restaurants within walking distance. Greasy Macs across the street. Chicken wing sports restaurant close, Five Guy's burger joint, a Kolache place and a sandwich shop very near. A Mexican restaurant which I haven't been to so I can't tell you anything about it. Another one (Mama Alone) further down is pretty good.

If you are up to a longer "hike" (about a mile) Frenchie's restaurant is really good. Astronauts frequent there as attested to by their pictures on the wall. Frankie Camera, the owner, is always being interviewed on TV when anything is going on at NASA. Their sandwiches are huge! Italian food which is, also, excellent.. One of my favorites restaurants. B-R next door for dessert. There is, also, a Chinese buffet there which I have been told is very good but I'm not into Oriental food so have not been there. Luby's Cafeteria is, also, close to the hotel.

Tucker in Texas

The hotel is fairly and nice. It is right across the street from NASA. There are several restaurants within walking distance. Greasy Macs across the street. Chicken wing sports restaurant close, Five Guy's burger joint, a Kolache place and a sandwich shop very near. A Mexican restaurant which I haven't been to so I can't tell you anything about it. Another one (Mama Alone) further down is pretty good.

If you are up to a longer "hike" (about a mile) Frenchie's restaurant is really good. Astronauts frequent there as attested to by their pictures on the wall. Frankie Camera, the owner, is always being interviewed on TV when anything is going on at NASA. Their sandwiches are huge! Italian food which is, also, excellent.. One of my favorites restaurants. B-R next door for dessert. There is, also, a Chinese buffet there which I have been told is very good but I'm not into Oriental food so have not been there. Luby's Cafeteria is, also, close to the hotel.

Tucker in Texas

Thank you so much Tucker! This is a great help.

Edited by Loves_Dogs

Tucker in Texas

I love Luby's but will never go back to that one. It was terrible...apparently there is an all you can eat buffet. Well, there was NO food. And what we did get was not Luby's quality! Save your money for elsewhere.

I love Luby's but will never go back to that one. It was terrible...apparently there is an all you can eat buffet. Well, there was NO food. And what we did get was not Luby's quality! Save your money for elsewhere.

I think I ate there once about 20 years ago when they had a special that kids ate free and I remember then that I had no desire to return and haven't. I had eaten at the one at the Mall several times and liked it o.k. I understand the Pappa's family owns it now so maybe the food has improved. I'm not willing to go back and find out, though.

In fact, for years I refused to eat at the WJ saying "If I want to eat at Luby's, I can do that at home and I don't want to eat there!" Then one night we had to eat in the WJ as there was a major conflict with our dining time (back before MTD which we do now) and I found it wasn't that bad. We eat in the WJ when we don't like what is being served in the MDR and I go willingly (lol).

A story about Frenchies. It is an Italian restaurant so why is it called Frenchies? Mr. Camera said it was because it was named that when he bought it and he didn't have enough money to change the sign.

Tucker in Texas

So, are you saying you were on an independent excursion that needed to tender early, and no tickets were needed?

When you went to try to pickup tender tickets and were told you didn't need them, are you Diamond plus?

The compass this last week says they were needed, so this is different information than that shared by others.

I waited in line for tickets... It was a cluster... No line.. Just a mob... Got tickets for tender 3... Then while walking away, the woman announced that she had just confirmed that tickets weren't needed if you had an excursion.. Either with RCI OR PRIVATE.. So we headed down. The guy downstairs didn't want to let us in, but I explained what the woman told us as I kept walking past him and got in line. Another RCI rep came through asking if people had tickets... Many let her know that they had been told... She left... Flustered... And no one ever asked for a ticket again once we got down to level 2.

I would wait for tickets just in case, but would then go get in line...

After going to bed on our last night after 1 am (VACATION!!!), our son jumped off the bunk at 3:45 and puked all over the floor... We called the front desk to let them know... Full expecting attendants in white space suits to rush to our room and lock us down... Nope. After 3 calls, an attendant finally came after about an hour with a towel... He was great, but underprepared. He called in backup with a carpet cleaner... The atrocious smell seemed to go away... But was back an hour later... We asked for them to come back, but never had anyone come back... Other than our fantastic room attendant... Who tried to help... We stayed in the room until we left and dealt with the smell... I can't believe they didn't more... Heck, I was getting off the ship, but expected... After their hand sanitizing brigade being out all week, that they would want us off ASAP. nope... Not even an earlier time was offered... Told us to keep our door OPEN to reduce the smell... And to wait.. We were free to go down to studio b and wait with our group as well... Our choice... ARE YOU KIDDING??? My kid keeps throwing up... And they say we are fine to go down to studio b to hang out???? In short, if you are in cabin 8439 this week, on behalf of my 8 year old, I apologize for the smell in your cabin... If you get sick on the ship this week, my son was probably close to ground zero :). The only extra help we got was from a very kind woman running the line for customs... My wife explained that our son was sick.. That we waited in the line the whole way to the baggage area... And still getting sick... She very appropriately cleared the way for us to get the heck out of the building...

Quite surprised that no one has commented on this... With all the norovirus issues and all the talk here about those issues, doesn't anyone find this concerning? My wife and I were floored with their lack of response and their lack of concern that some kid was literally puking all over a room and his parents were spreading germs all around the ship. I just found the whole situation quite odd.

I am not Diamond. This was my first cruise. All I can say, is go try to pick up tender tickets if you are concerned and ask at pickup. We tried to pick up tickets. Were told we didn't need them and to bring our confirmation when we departed. We were down as soon as we could be when the ship was docked, and we got right off. And, while I had it, I was not asked for my confirmation paperwork for my non-RCI excursion.

Quite surprised that no one has commented on this... With all the norovirus issues and all the talk here about those issues, doesn't anyone find this concerning? My wife and I were floored with their lack of response and their lack of concern that some kid was literally puking all over a room and his parents were spreading germs all around the ship. I just found the whole situation quite odd.

I am surprised too that no one had commented. Hope your child is doing well. Was it a virus, flu? I hope they went in and sanitized your room good!

Hey Cruise2014Fanatic-

I'm just now reading your posts; I'm kinda flabbergasted actually. Even though you were preparing to disembark, the crew should have been crazy concerned about 1. your son's condition, and 2. the possible spread of noro, especially prior to the next sailing. Did your son's condition turn out to be an attack of noro, or something else? Whatever the case, I hope that he feels much better...and thanks for sharing your cruise review!

Hey Cruise2014Fanatic-

I'm just now reading your posts; I'm kinda flabbergasted actually. Even though you were preparing to disembark, the crew should have been crazy concerned about 1. your son's condition, and 2. the possible spread of noro, especially prior to the next sailing. Did your son's condition turn out to be an attack of noro, or something else? Whatever the case, I hope that he feels much better...and thanks for sharing your cruise review!

Thanks for responding and for somewhat validating my concerns... I was beginning to think I was crazy or that my post was a figment of my imagination. He is doing well now. He was sick al day Sunday and on Monday. He went back to school today... My wife kept him home yesterday.... I felt kind of bad because we got home quite late on Sunday night and I was on a 6:00 flight for a biz trip on Monday morning.. Leaving my wife to deal with it. They both report that he is much better... Not sure of it was Noro or not... But it definitely wasn't due to eating too much junk food... The little dude was sick... All over... If you catch my drift.

I was quite stunned by their reaction or lack of reaction.

Question...what time on Monday was the official M&M? I know the one for today's (yesterday's) delayed cruise is at 11:30, but I wondered if it's usually earlier. I'm trying to plan a cabin crawl around the M&M. Thanks, and sorry if this has already been posted and I missed it!

I think ours was 11:30 as well. I didn't go as I never had an invitation delivered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It was at 11:30 this past Monday. We had a great turnout even though we were in port. All our group got invites.

Thank you! That's what they have posted on the RCI website for our cruise also.