White Bay Cruise Terminal, Sydney

What a bummer. In Sydney a few weeks ago after a wonderful cruise and this was the only downside. Can't believe how awful this place was compared to the Overseas Passenger Terminal. Out in nowhere with a pretty long ride to get to the Rocks and the Quay. O's shuttle bus was awful with long lines and very few buses. Had to take cabs for 25.00 each way or we would have of wasted hours getting there and back. Need a better way.

What a bummer. In Sydney a few weeks ago after a wonderful cruise and this was the only downside. Can't believe how awful this place was compared to the Overseas Passenger Terminal. Out in nowhere with a pretty long ride to get to the Rocks and the Quay. O's shuttle bus was awful with long lines and very few buses. Had to take cabs for 25.00 each way or we would have of wasted hours getting there and back. Need a better way.

We will be there to embark on our cruise in 2015. I was hoping that Oceania would be running shuttles given the out of the way location and lack of public transport in the vicinity of this cruise terminal. Fortunately we board there and it isn't a day port.

Like Terrier1, we will embark there next February. I love O, but one of my greatest complaints about them is the horrendous places they dock in most locales. Most of the better lines dock in the nice facilities close to town, while O is always in the middle of nowhere. The pits was last summer when we docked next to the power plant, miles from town. We had the slag pit of the power plant on one side of the ship and a dilapidated warehouse on the other side. Really scenic spot, and we sat there until about 9 that night.

Like Terrier1, we will embark there next February. I love O, but one of my greatest complaints about them is the horrendous places they dock in most locales. Most of the better lines dock in the nice facilities close to town, while O is always in the middle of nowhere. The pits was last summer when we docked next to the power plant, miles from town. We had the slag pit of the power plant on one side of the ship and a dilapidated warehouse on the other side. Really scenic spot, and we sat there until about 9 that night.

I don't think O has a choice with Sydney. From what I read, if the ship fits under the bridge then they go to the new terminal. Only the very large ships get to dock at the older more convenient location. My beef with O is that they should run shuttles that are more often and convenient especially in a situation like this.

I don't think O has a choice with Sydney. From what I read, if the ship fits under the bridge then they go to the new terminal. Only the very large ships get to dock at the older more convenient location. My beef with O is that they should run shuttles that are more often and convenient especially in a situation like this.

Exactly right. O is small enough to fit under the bridge so they go to White Bay. Problem is they run the shuttles every half hour and it is not enough. We left the ship at about 9:20 and the line was about one hour long, so we took a taxi. Not what we were expecting. Should not have to spend 25.00 when they promise us free shuttles. :(:(:(:(:(

O does not control the shuttles, the port does.

O.K. All well and good, but do not tell us that there will be shuttles when you really do not know that they will be there. The ship promised us this bus service, not the port. Leaves a lot of people waiting forever. Not very good.

O does not control the shuttles, the port does.

O may not control the shuttles, but they can vote with the helm of the ship and go to Melborne or other ports. Sydney has some of the highest per passenger port charges on the planet. Seems to me the answer is easy: more shuttles, or "hasta la vista".

And by RJB: "Exactly right. O is small enough to fit under the bridge so they go to White Bay."

-----------------------------

There are plenty of smaller ships that are assigned to the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney. I am looking at the cruise ship schedule and ship details (size, clearance, etc.) at the Australian website now.

Just a few:

Ocean Princess (an R-ship like Oceania Insignia, Nautica and Regatta) (Gross tonnage 30,277)

http://shipschedule.sydneyports.com.au/Marineoperations/vesselDetail.asp?IMO=9187899&part=6

Europa (gross tonnage 28,437) http://shipschedule.sydneyports.com.au/Marineoperations/vesselDetail.asp?IMO=9183855&part=6

Black Watch (gross tonnage 28,670)

http://shipschedule.sydneyports.com.au/Marineoperations/vesselDetail.asp?IMO=7108930&part=6

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

O may not control the shuttles, but they can vote with the helm of the ship and go to Melborne or other ports. Sydney has some of the highest per passenger port charges on the planet. Seems to me the answer is easy: more shuttles, or "hasta la vista".

Sounds like a plan. Been to Sydney 3 times already and Melborne only once. Lets go there and leave Sydney to the ducks.

Sounds like a plan. Been to Sydney 3 times already and Melborne only once. Lets go there and leave Sydney to the ducks.

Sounds like a very unpopular plan to leave Sydney out of a cruise that involves SE Australia. I wouldn't even consider a cruise there without a Sydney overnight, or preferably several overnights. However, I do want to be berthed at the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

Sounds like a very unpopular plan to leave Sydney out of a cruise that involves SE Australia. I wouldn't even consider a cruise there without a Sydney overnight, or preferably several overnights. However, I do want to be berthed at the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

Hi All,

You are not alone in your complaints. A lot of Aussie agree with your entirely. It is a terrible location, not easy to access and costs a fortune to get in and out of. We feel sorry for the poor crew who have time off, especially with the lack of inexpensive transport options.

Hi All,

You are not alone in your complaints. A lot of Aussie agree with your entirely. It is a terrible location, not easy to access and costs a fortune to get in and out of. We feel sorry for the poor crew who have time off, especially with the lack of inexpensive transport options.

Not suprised that the Aussies don,t like it either since they probably are the ones that use it most. Seems like the Aussie Govt. is really not very tourist friendly anyway. At the airport NO HELP at all with bags or directions. Charge 4.00 for a cart for luggage. Could be they just don't want us to be there.

Not suprised that the Aussies don,t like it either since they probably are the ones that use it most. Seems like the Aussie Govt. is really not very tourist friendly anyway. At the airport NO HELP at all with bags or directions. Charge 4.00 for a cart for luggage. Could be they just don't want us to be there.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the Aussie Govt. The problem with Sydney Harbour is that the FULL sign is up and has been up for many years. When the Overseas Passenger Terminal was built (in the early 60's) , it was built with only one wharf ( I guess that is all they thought they would ever need then) (Compare this to say San Francisco where the cruise wharves are now basically where the cargo wharfs used to be) We are actually lucky to still have the OPT as a cruise ship terminal - there was a time in the 70s/80s where cruising was not popular and the situation for that facility became a bit desperate. - consequently the Sydney Harbour foreshore is now PREMIUM space and we are lucky to have the White Bay wharf now too!!

There are now only two wharves available for cruiseships to berth in the whole of Sydney Harbour -- better do your homework first before booking a cruise to Sydney from now on. Has anybody noticed how "convenient" the port for Rome(Civvitavechia) is to Rome - or the port for Paris (Le Havre) is to Paris or the port to Ho Chi Minh City (Phu My) is to Ho Chi Minh City , etc, etc ???

By the way - I have landed a couple of times at Los Angeles airport -- don't talk to me about Aussie airports - Los Angeles is an International disgrace!!!!

Barry

Come to beautiful Melbourne;m we don't have the harbour but we do have easy access from Station Pier!

From: ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and.../public-transport-during-the-cruise-ship-season

"Travel from Station Pier to Melbourne city

Your ship will arrive at Station Pier in Port Melbourne, six kilomentres from Melbourne city. To travel into the city, you can choose to either catch a direct bus or take the scenic route of a bus and tram.

Bus 109 Express (option 1) runs direct to the city, while the PTV Tram Stop Bus Shuttle (option 2) will allow you to take one of Melbourne’s iconic trams.

The bus shuttles and trams cost a normal public transport fare and you must travel with a myki which you can buy at the PTV ticket booth inside the Cruise Terminal..."

"Getting around Melbourne

Heading into Melbourne's city centre from your cruise ship is quick and easy thanks to a range of transport options. The city's legendary laneways, revered cafes, inspirational galleries and exclusive boutiques are just a tram, bus or taxi ride away.

Taking Melbourne by tram

Melbourne is the only city in Australia that retains a network of trams and a scenic joy ride on one of the iconic trams is a must when you're in town. Luckily it's the most convenient way to travel from your ship at Station Pier to the city centre.

The Route 109 tram to Box Hill is conveniently located at the end of Station Pier. It takes you through Port Melbourne, past the Crown Entertainment Complex and across the Yarra River before turning right into Collins Street to take you to the Melbourne Town Hall and the heart of the city...."

Circling the city

The distinctive burgundy and gold City Circle trams are a free and easy way to explore central Melbourne. The tram's circuit takes in major attractions and shopping precincts, and offers an onboard commentary.

See: http://www.visitmelbourne.com/Traveller.../Cruise.../Melbourne/Getting-around

Edited by Mumofnine
wording

We were on holiday in Sydney about 4years ago & there were 4 cruise ships in the harbour. One had prime position at Circular Quay, one was at Woolloomooloo, & two were tendered in the harbour. Although White Bay may not be the best for passengers I am sure that it makes the servicing of the vessels easier.Passengers on a recent Hal ship staying overnight found it not as bad as they had anticipated & stated that the shuttle only took 15 mins to get into Circular Quay. It takes 20 mins to get from Port Chalmers to central Dunedin. Having said all that I still don't know where they would berth 4 ships in Sydney if that where to happen again

Has absolutely nothing to do with the Aussie Govt. The problem with Sydney Harbour is that the FULL sign is up and has been up for many years. When the Overseas Passenger Terminal was built (in the early 60's) , it was built with only one wharf ( I guess that is all they thought they would ever need then) (Compare this to say San Francisco where the cruise wharves are now basically where the cargo wharfs used to be) We are actually lucky to still have the OPT as a cruise ship terminal - there was a time in the 70s/80s where cruising was not popular and the situation for that facility became a bit desperate. - consequently the Sydney Harbour foreshore is now PREMIUM space and we are lucky to have the White Bay wharf now too!!

There are now only two wharves available for cruiseships to berth in the whole of Sydney Harbour -- better do your homework first before booking a cruise to Sydney from now on. Has anybody noticed how "convenient" the port for Rome(Civvitavechia) is to Rome - or the port for Paris (Le Havre) is to Paris or the port to Ho Chi Minh City (Phu My) is to Ho Chi Minh City , etc, etc ???

By the way - I have landed a couple of times at Los Angeles airport -- don't talk to me about Aussie airports - Los Angeles is an International disgrace!!!!

Barry

Have to agree with Barry, I think it is because how ideally located the Overseas Passenger Terminal is it makes the White Bay terminal seem really inconvenient. Of all the cruises I have done, the OPT has to be the best located port to the city visited. Right at Circular Quay opposite the bridge and Opera house, in close proximity to George St and Darling Harbour.

At present the OPT struggles to cope with processing larger ships (it was designed in the 60's) and received facelifts over time but midway through this year it is undergoing an extensive refurbishment.

The problem is that everyone wants to dock there, which means that is in use almost every day of the year (especially in peak season) and that it also costs substantially more than the White Bay terminal, hence if a ship can manage to fit under the bridge they will often opt for the cheaper alternative and just offer shuttles into town.

On a side note I think it's a shame they built the permanent wharf at White Bay and chose not to refurbish the old wharf 8 at Darling Harbour.

Agree that the cruise terminal situation in Sydney is far from ideal (as with the rest of Sydney...) however I have seen worse around the world. Likewise there are worse airports than those in Australia - LAX just as one example is an abomination, and last time I was there it was USD5 for a luggage trolley.

Agree that the cruise terminal situation in Sydney is far from ideal (as with the rest of Sydney...) however I have seen worse around the world. Likewise there are worse airports than those in Australia - LAX just as one example is an abomination, and last time I was there it was USD5 for a luggage trolley.

I agree that there are worse ports and airports, but that doen not make Sydney O. K. They could be better if they want. Not having any porters at the airport is worse than the charge for the luggage trolleys. There are people who need help with heavy luggage and there is no one to do that. Most airports do have porters for that purpose.

I really think you are making a bigger deal out of the location than necessary.

We boarded Marina on February 23, 2014 from White Bay. It was approx 10-15 minute taxi ride from Circular Quay. It was organized but not enough Customs people. The Line to board after checking in built up for quite a wait.

There is nothing there as far as buses, etc., so I only see the inconvenience for those staying with the ship and they need a taxi to Circular Quay. I think the fare was about $20-25 AUD.

Hi folks

Let me assure you that it is only a small inconvenience to board and disembark in Sydney. Yes, OPT is the best Location but Princess and P&O have a priority on it as they are the major cruise line in Australia. We used the other one for a large 100,000 ton liner for a cruise(cruise was horrible) and the problem was not the location but the staffing and the temporary nature of the building. The other thing to remember is that it is not cheap in Australia to have staff(bus drivers, police, etc. etc., working at odd hours due to their costs)

Try ports like Rome, Marseille, Dover(UK), NYC(cabs are a fortune) for convenience of leaving or getting to with luggage etc. Rome port to FCO Airport in a 8 person van is $AUD135 for 2 plus extra luggage charges if more than one(1) case each. HCMC is bad if your on large boats If you are on Oceania where it sails up the Saigon River to almost the centre of town.

Also in Sydney there is lack of space so Cunard(when both Queen Boats arrive) has to berth in the naval ship area and one sort of fits into OPT.

Melbourne(lived in Melbourne) is the old station pier that has been modified for years. Brisbane is a tent at the wheat silo wharf due to issues of a short wharf, narrow, bridge height and boats are to big.

What I am saying is we have been to many ports that has allowed us(espec. on Oceania) that we could not visit with a larger vessel and therefore we are the only ones in port so less crowds etc. Also many of those ports are extremely nice whilst others are the pits. it is like flying there are good airports and bad airports(Sydney, LAX, NY, LHR, Mumbai). The same applies to many major railway stations(great stations Berlin, Frankfurt, St. Pancreas, Paris's major stations).

It is only a small inconvenience for a small moment in your life of travelling on that trip.

I agree that Australia does have an issue with infrastructure and we do not build anything w/o multiple enquiries, green requirements etc. etc.so things remain as is.

QLDTRAVELLER

On Feb 22 what really frustrated Marina passengers was the combination of 2 items:

- the complete lack of any reasonable public transport infrastructure at White Bay.

- Not nearly enough complementary shuttle buses in the morning when several hundred passengers wanted to independently go into downtown Sydney.

On Feb 22 what really frustrated Marina passengers was the combination of 2 items:

- the complete lack of any reasonable public transport infrastructure at White Bay.

- Not nearly enough complementary shuttle buses in the morning when several hundred passengers wanted to independently go into downtown Sydney.

Just the way it was. Especially the lack of shuttle buses. Don't promise what you can't deliver. We came out about 9:45 - 10 thinking the crush would be over and were shocked to see a line that was about 75 to 100 people and were told the buses would run every half hour. Had to take a taxi so we would not waste the whole day with those buses. I guess Sydney is not interested in having cruise ships come to their lovely city. I won't be back again. :confused::confused::confused:

Just the way it was. Especially the lack of shuttle buses. Don't promise what you can't deliver. We came out about 9:45 - 10 thinking the crush would be over and were shocked to see a line that was about 75 to 100 people and were told the buses would run every half hour. Had to take a taxi so we would not waste the whole day with those buses. I guess Sydney is not interested in having cruise ships come to their lovely city. I won't be back again. :confused::confused::confused:

Try waiting at NYC cruise terminal when a 3,000 person boat(NCL) and Marina arrive w/I 30 minutes of each other and no public transport, no shuttles and only taxis wanting to go to airport and not downtown so 2 hours later we get a cab using a ticket number system. He would not even drop us off at the hotel as the street was 1/2 blocked and he wanted to go back to the cruise terminal. So it happens everywhere and the USA is no different.

By the way we still enjoyed NYC and are going back again.

As I said it is only a few minutes of your life.