The Plank

English101

Has anyone slipped off the plank? Or watched someone do it? I know you're in a harness hanging from above but I'm just wondering how far down you'd drop. Also, how wide is the plank? 4 inches like a balance beam? I WANT to do it but want to know what's the worst case scenario! Lol. I've also heard that the ropes course can get closed for certain conditions and am going to try to be brave early on in the cruise so I don't miss my chance.

Tell me about your plank (and/or ropes course) experience!

QUOTE=English101;41974387]Has anyone slipped off the plank? Or watched someone do it? I know you're in a harness hanging from above but I'm just wondering how far down you'd drop. Also, how wide is the plank? 4 inches like a balance beam? I WANT to do it but want to know what's the worst case scenario! Lol. I've also heard that the ropes course can get closed for certain conditions and am going to try to be brave early on in the cruise so I don't miss my chance.

393065_10151356979966767_520160701_n.jpg

If I can do it, you can.

Edited by $hip$hape

The Plank is awesome! We did the ropes course three times. I didn't see anyone fall or know of anything like that. The ropes course can be closed due to high winds. On our first sea day, I was too freaked to do the Plank because of how windy it was. The beam is maybe a foot wide? In any case it's as wide as most of the planks in the course. I was very shaky stepping out on it, but you just grin and bear it! Don't forget to pull the rope in front of you to take a picture, then look for it downstairs later :)

To answer your other question, it would be a loooonnngggg drop! But I didn't ever feel like I was in danger. Go for it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

QUOTE=English101;41974387]Has anyone slipped off the plank? Or watched someone do it? I know you're in a harness hanging from above but I'm just wondering how far down you'd drop. Also, how wide is the plank? 4 inches like a balance beam? I WANT to do it but want to know what's the worst case scenario! Lol. I've also heard that the ropes course can get closed for certain conditions and am going to try to be brave early on in the cruise so I don't miss my chance.

393065_10151356979966767_520160701_n.jpg

If I can do it, you can.

WOW!! All the way to the end!! I'm assuming this picture is taken from the golf course, below?

Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

Edited by English101

The Plank is awesome! We did the ropes course three times. I didn't see anyone fall or know of anything like that. The ropes course can be closed due to high winds. On our first sea day, I was too freaked to do the Plank because of how windy it was. The beam is maybe a foot wide? In any case it's as wide as most of the planks in the course. I was very shaky stepping out on it, but you just grin and bear it! Don't forget to pull the rope in front of you to take a picture, then look for it downstairs later :)

To answer your other question, it would be a loooonnngggg drop! But I didn't ever feel like I was in danger. Go for it!!!

REALLY a FOOT wide!? As in 12 inches? I'm thinking you mean that it's as wide as one of your feet. 4-5 inches? In the previously posted picture, his feet are hanging over, I'm assuming its because his feet are perpendicular to the plank.

Thanks for sharing!

WOW!! All the way to the end!! I'm assuming this picture is taken from the golf course, below?

The I-beam is about 6 inches wide.

Yes, a friend took this pic from the golf course.

And no; the stiff thing in front of me is part of the safety harness.:D

Edited by $hip$hape

I thought this was another joke thread. But you're not kidding! :eek: You guys rock! I am so chicken...you couldn't pay me to do this...is this on the new ships? more pictures?

My hat's off to you who are brave to do this. Gives a whole new meaning to the song : ...."for those in peril on the sea...."

I want to walk it so bad, but will chicken out once I see it for real.

My son said he's definitely walking the plank, zip lining, rock wall, all the slides and ropes courses.

You are all very brave!!!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

I would say it's 6-8 inches wide, did innately not a foot (12 inches). If you slipped I'd say you'd "fall" about 3 feet. I saw one picture on our trip of someone sitting on the plank. For the full effect you have to do this on a sea day. ;-)

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I would say it's 6-8 inches wide, did innately not a foot (12 inches).

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Hahaha something like that! I didn't think a foot was too wide, but I guess it is! Let's just say it's narrow enough to scare the heck outta you, but not so narrow that you can't walk across safely.

All my walks were on sea days, and it's terrifyingly thrilling. I don't know about sitting on that thing though! Wayyyy too risky :eek: but I did see people stand on one leg, etc while doing it. That's as daring as I could get ;)

I want to walk it so bad, but will chicken out once I see it for real.

My son said he's definitely walking the plank, zip lining, rock wall, all the slides and ropes courses.

You are all very brave!!!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

You can do it too! The zip line is not too bad at all. My biggest fear was to be like one of those who did not jump off with enough force and got stuck halfway-- so embarrassing! I never did make it to the rock wall-- there were crazy long lines as soon as it opened and I figured I can do rock walls in lots of places so I didn't bother.

By the way, for anyone with smaller children, there's a tiny "ropes course" for the tots under the entrance to the course. I thought it was the cutest thing!

I intentionally "jumped" from the plank and only dropped what felt like a few additional inches below the plank itself. It's really only the differential in the slack from your safety harness!

:eek: you're way braver than I am! lol

I plan to try the plank in November, but we'll see!

I found the Breakaway ropes course experience to be totally excellent, and did it numerous times. :)

Each trip through the course offered the ability to make personal challenges to do some parts more accurately, as well as quicker.

My only reservation was on the third visit when it was time to go out on the plank while docked in Bermuda. It had been quite cool to go out over water (and, of course, that thought creeps into the mind about 'what if' and falling), but when it was done over land, it was a bit more creepy. If I fell over water, I'd surely perish anyway, but while over land any error would just result in them using a squeegee to push the goo off the dock back into the water. :eek:

I look forward to repeating the experience later this year on Getaway.

You can do it too! The zip line is not too bad at all. My biggest fear was to be like one of those who did not jump off with enough force and got stuck halfway-- so embarrassing! I never did make it to the rock wall-- there were crazy long lines as soon as it opened and I figured I can do rock walls in lots of places so I didn't bother.

By the way, for anyone with smaller children, there's a tiny "ropes course" for the tots under the entrance to the course. I thought it was the cutest thing!

Wait, they have a zip line too? I didn't realize this. Does it go over the mini golf area or something? What happens when you don't make it to the end?

So happy to hear they have a childrens rope course. Is this on the Getaway as well? Any pictures?

I intentionally "jumped" from the plank and only dropped what felt like a few additional inches below the plank itself. It's really only the differential in the slack from your safety harness!

Ok, that's just plain scary. Is there not staff members there to "watch" you (or people like you :D) and tell you "no-no-superman, you're not flying today" ?

I thought this was another joke thread. But you're not kidding! :eek: You guys rock! I am so chicken...you couldn't pay me to do this...is this on the new ships? more pictures?

My hat's off to you who are brave to do this. Gives a whole new meaning to the song : ...."for those in peril on the sea...."

Definitely not a joke thread. And I also wasn't thinking that people will be falling to their death!!! I know there's a safety harness. I just wanted to know what it was like if you slipped.

Nice YouTube video of several pax walking the plank.

That was great! Thanks for sharing!!

Note to self: braid hair for the plank. Better yet, wear in a bun! (my hair is down to my waist!)

Edited by English101

Hahaha something like that! I didn't think a foot was too wide, but I guess it is! Let's just say it's narrow enough to scare the heck outta you, but not so narrow that you can't walk across safely.

All my walks were on sea days, and it's terrifyingly thrilling. I don't know about sitting on that thing though! Wayyyy too risky :eek: but I did see people stand on one leg, etc while doing it. That's as daring as I could get ;)

Watching that video, I bet you feel AMAZING after accomplishing it!!

OMG!!! That must have been terrifying! Lol