drydock westerdam

sheba2008

Westerdam is going into drydock 5the april, anybody knows what they are doing on the ship?

Thanks, sheba2008

Should be standard maintenance

There may be some non-standard stuff too:

Imtech Marine to refit bridge systems of three Holland America Line cruise ships – ms Westerdam, ms Noordam and ms Oosterdam

Holland America Line commissioned Imtech Marine USA to refit the bridges of three Holland America Line cruise ships – ms Westerdam, ms Noordam, and ms Oosterdam. The equipment consists of FCR-28x9 X-band radars, FAR-2837 S-band radars, FMD 3300 ECDIS, FAP 2000/3000 Track control and GP150D GPS systems, all Furuno equipment. Imtech Marine represents Furuno in the United States. Holland America Line has partnered with Imtech Marine on this series of refits to provide engineering, installation, training, and service through Imtech’s worldwide service network. The first of the three ships will be refit during a 10-day dry dock period in April of 2014.

Eric Clarke, Managing Director of Imtech Marine USA, says: “We have been a partner with Holland America Line for a number of years, delivering service and spare parts or equipment whenever necessary for their cruise ships. We are delighted that we are now invited to install new bridge systems on board of three of their famous cruise ships. Furuno has been selected for its robust design and flexibility, specifically the interconnecting qualities, as well as being known as reliable, solid equipment. We see a trend in the industry, showing an increased need for flexibility and redundancies. Prime focus in this respect is of course safety. With our worldwide service network and remote monitoring facilities, we focus on helping ship owners achieve uninterrupted, safe operations."

http://imtech.com/EN/Marine_EN-Newsroom/Marine_EN-Newsroom-Press-releases/(44780)-2014/Imtech-Marine-to-refit-bridge-systems-of-three-Holland-America-Line-cruise-ships.html

There may be some non-standard stuff too:

Imtech Marine to refit bridge systems of three Holland America Line cruise ships – ms Westerdam, ms Noordam and ms Oosterdam

Holland America Line commissioned Imtech Marine USA to refit the bridges of three Holland America Line cruise ships – ms Westerdam, ms Noordam, and ms Oosterdam. The equipment consists of FCR-28x9 X-band radars, FAR-2837 S-band radars, FMD 3300 ECDIS, FAP 2000/3000 Track control and GP150D GPS systems, all Furuno equipment. Imtech Marine represents Furuno in the United States. Holland America Line has partnered with Imtech Marine on this series of refits to provide engineering, installation, training, and service through Imtech’s worldwide service network. The first of the three ships will be refit during a 10-day dry dock period in April of 2014.

Eric Clarke, Managing Director of Imtech Marine USA, says: “We have been a partner with Holland America Line for a number of years, delivering service and spare parts or equipment whenever necessary for their cruise ships. We are delighted that we are now invited to install new bridge systems on board of three of their famous cruise ships. Furuno has been selected for its robust design and flexibility, specifically the interconnecting qualities, as well as being known as reliable, solid equipment. We see a trend in the industry, showing an increased need for flexibility and redundancies. Prime focus in this respect is of course safety. With our worldwide service network and remote monitoring facilities, we focus on helping ship owners achieve uninterrupted, safe operations."

http://imtech.com/EN/Marine_EN-Newsroom/Marine_EN-Newsroom-Press-releases/(44780)-2014/Imtech-Marine-to-refit-bridge-systems-of-three-Holland-America-Line-cruise-ships.html

Certainly may be; thanks for the intel

It doesn't look that the Westerdam will be getting the Noordam refit with the additional cabins on the Observation Deck. However, is that in store for her at a later date. I loved the area on the Noordam outside of the Crow's Nest when I sailed on her. It is sad that they removed that area last year.

It doesn't look that the Westerdam will be getting the Noordam refit with the additional cabins on the Observation Deck. However, is that in store for her at a later date. I loved the area on the Noordam outside of the Crow's Nest when I sailed on her. It is sad that they removed that area last year.

That was done on NODM in Palermo. Doesn't mean it can't be done in Freeport, but they usually like to do it n the same yard

New custom designed sneeze guard for the NL- so custom that it took a year to design and build.

It should be deluxe after that long:D. If I'm fortunate enough to snap up an upsell on my cruise i can give you a first had report. I'm on the first cruise after the drydock.

New custom designed sneeze guard for the NL- so custom that it took a year to design and build.

I was told this by the concierge and the culinary manager (not sure of the act title) last week.

They said the new equipment for the sideboard is on the ship, but because the work to install it would mean shutting down the NL for several days, they have to wait until drydock.

They had a temporary sneeze guard on embarkation day, and the usual assortment of cookies, pound cake, etc.

After that, the sideboard was bare, except for boxed cereal and bowls in the morning.

I did not see any signs indicating that croissants, etc. were available from the concierge. But I knew enough to ask!

Yes, but this new sneeze guard is a wonder of technology. It has sensors that can detect when a person within 3 feet inhales a large amount of air, indicating that a potential sneeze is about to be exhaled. When the system is activated, a robotic arm will automatically remove a tissue from the on-board dispenser and present it to the nose of the sneezer. Upon completion of the sneeze a bio-hazard grade container opens and the tissue is deposited.

The whole thing is designed and built by the same company that made the automatic hand washers on the Veendam.

It's true. I saw it on the internet.

Cooper,

If they aren't doing that addition to Westerdam during this dry dock is there a chance at a later date that they might make the same addition they did on Noordam to the rest of the ships. I know when the Noordam came out of Italy the first time they redesigned her aft with a less drastic rake and more cabins. Then over the years each of her older sisters went into dry dock and had those cabins added to them and their rake changed. Will the same addition that Noordam got happen to all of her sisters?? It is just a question.

I believe you are correct, I looked at the deck plans on the HAL website, and it still shows open deck space behind the crow's nest.

We just got off the Westerdam on Saturday. I was surprised that they were even going into dry dock, since the ship looked very well maintained. We were told that there would be new carpeting; but the old carpeting looked great. They were installing cabling all week for better internet capabilities in the cabins.

Yes, but this new sneeze guard is a wonder of technology. It has sensors that can detect when a person within 3 feet inhales a large amount of air, indicating that a potential sneeze is about to be exhaled. When the system is activated, a robotic arm will automatically remove a tissue from the on-board dispenser and present it to the nose of the sneezer. Upon completion of the sneeze a bio-hazard grade container opens and the tissue is deposited.

The whole thing is designed and built by the same company that made the automatic hand washers on the Veendam.

It's true. I saw it on the internet.

Thanks for the great laugh!

We just got off the Westerdam on Saturday. I was surprised that they were even going into dry dock, since the ship looked very well maintained. We were told that there would be new carpeting; but the old carpeting looked great. They were installing cabling all week for better internet capabilities in the cabins.

We are just off the Westerdam, too (Hi Mike!) We thought she was in fine shape, too.. although the floor tile in our bathroom really needs new grout.. lots of little pieces of it were loose and would stick to and jab bare feet when you got out of the tub or shower. I hope they fix that.

I, too, was surprised to see the sideboard in the NL was nicely arranged with goodies on embarkation day but only had cereal boxes & bowls the other days. A day or 2 later the toaster was there but you had to ask for toast or bagels if you wanted anything to toast!! Since there was no bottle of sparkling wine in the cabin (just 2 cookbooks and a bottle of water) I was surprised there wasn't even a glass of champagne offered in the NL either.

We are just off the Westerdam, too (Hi Mike!) We thought she was in fine shape, too.. although the floor tile in our bathroom really needs new grout.. lots of little pieces of it were loose and would stick to and jab bare feet when you got out of the tub or shower. I hope they fix that.

I, too, was surprised to see the sideboard in the NL was nicely arranged with goodies on embarkation day but only had cereal boxes & bowls the other days. A day or 2 later the toaster was there but you had to ask for toast or bagels if you wanted anything to toast!! Since there was no bottle of sparkling wine in the cabin (just 2 cookbooks and a bottle of water) I was surprised there wasn't even a glass of champagne offered in the NL either.

Hi Nadine,

The only maintenance issue we had in the bathroom was some water damage on the lower door frame due to the plastic shower curtain leakage.

The most noticeable change during dry dock is the Vista Lounge white leather is going away -- I can't tell you what the new leather color will be, however! Most other changes are technological, safety and things not noticeable to the average cruiser.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...