On the Constellation now - my 1st Celebrity experience

roohound

I was on the cruise too.

Security wasn't up to the task of dealing with the spring breakers. The camera operator didn't spot the two drunks who climbed a ladder to the top of a smokestack. I had to get someone. There was no reason for allowing these kids to jump and dive into the pools. I watched it happen and security did too - they told them to stop, security walked away, and they did it again and again. Some of these kids should have been cut off much sooner.

There was a shortage of lounge chairs. Areas that normally had them were largely empty. Twelve aft would be a perfect spot for chairs. It was totally empty, and I dragged a chair up the stairs, as did others.

I was underwhelmed with my sky suite. Balcony chair doesn't recline and no foot stool. Do I have to downgrade the cabin to get that? Sewer smell for two days, despite my call. New butler who was in training lead to a lost breakfast order. Love love love Bvlgari products, but the "plush duvet" is a thin nothing.

The good - loved the two guitarists. Thought the MDR - Select service was terrific, including bar service. Thought Tuscan Grill was great except for my steak - ribeye was thin and fatty. A half hour later a group of officers ordered the filet - no surprise they knew what to order. Brian on the buffet grill at night made a delicious burger to order. Newish movies for free every day on TV.

Hi, what Sky Suite did you have?

I am really surprised that the duo climbing the smoke stack did not get thrown off the ship, along with those diving into the pool after being told not to. This is inexcusable and against the conduct rules of Celebrity. In light of the drownings of two small children on a NCL ship, I would think that all cruiselines would be stepping up their pool safety policies. Adults diving and jumping into a pool could easily injure a child.

Deck 12 aft was an add-on over the new AQ1's. I think that there were lots of complaints from those booking the AQ1's (advertised as a "spa like tranquil" stateroom) about having lounge chairs up above these staterooms. Same complaints about joggers. Since I am booked in one in May, I for one am happy that there are little or no lounges up there. On the other hand, when we cruise and get out up on deck, we like to be as far away from the pool as possible. :D Deck 12 would be the perfect spot.

sunshade - On a past cruise, I have had no problem telling young adults that their language was unacceptable. I would do the same for someone being rude at a show. A few years ago, we were up on deck when two young gay men decided to carry-on a conversation about a relationship that friends of theirs were having. Some vulgar things were said. My husband was getting irritated, so I jumped up and had a little talk with them. They were very nice, embarrassed, apologized and said that they did not realize their voices were carrying so loudly in the wind. We ended up seeing the duo all over the ship and were very amicable to one another. Even had a conversation, one other time, about other things. ;)

I was also on this cruise!

It sure did feel like there were 700 spring breakers on the cruise!

I was on deck 9 in AQ-- EVERY NIGHT I was awakened at two, three, four in the morning by drunks trying to make their way back to their staterooms. I agree that the pool staff was completely overwhelmed by the crowd-- chairs saved by 8 am, bar service was slow, staff seemed frazzled. I did see bartenders carding people.

Dining in Blu was the highlight of the cruise. Never had to wait to be seated. Service was efficient. Loved the quieter atmosphere and cuisine. AQ stateroom was super clean. Loved the overhang on the balcony which shielded room from the sun.

Enjoyed the comedian and magician as well.

I had the classic alcohol package and never saw the need to upgrade. It was nice to never receive a receipt!

Would not hesitate to sail AQ again, but would probably avoid taking a shorter cruise during Spring Break.

I was in Sky Suit 6126.

I asked a security guard watching the pool with people jumping into it why such actions were allowed. He said security was understaffed and they aren't like other lines prepared for so many drunk kids. When I asked why some of these kids were not cut off he bluntly said: It is all about revenue. I suspect many of these kids were in inside cabins and didn't have packages, but I obviously don't know the numbers.

I watched one young woman, coming in from a port day and wearing only a bikini and shoes (no coverup) say to her friends she refused to get into an elevator because it had 'too many old people' (including someone in a wheelchair). Just horrible behavior.

Interesting about 12 aft. It is huge, and could easily handle hundrds of chairs, but the few that were dragged up there were all removed every night to 11.

It all comes down to me and the entitlement. Last year on the Reflectionduring spring break the cabin steward stopped me in the hall to ask about a problem that I had. We were interrupted by some a younger female that had to ask him something about nothing. She then looked and said it was something she needed to know and walked away. He friend must have said something as she said in a rather loud voice that she didn't care because she has more money than he does. I was going to tell her that she should spend some on buying a little class but didn't want to lower my self to her level.

🍹

Ok, the food smells. We did encounter them in the hallway but not in our rooms. We felt the smell came from the buffet as every time we passed the pasta bar in the buffet there was this pungent fishy/burnt garlic/onion smell that was so strong once we hit the pasta bar and it was that same smell in our hallway. Not pleasant at all - but it certainly didn't ruin the cruise.

I was on Connie in January and experienced the same smell. Exactly as you described it, that fishy garlicky smell on the pasta bar side of the buffet. It was definitely strong. I usually ate on the other side. I did think the buffet food was excellent. I really enjoyed creating my own little feasts.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

Well this was a lesson learned. Not sure we will do a short cruise with drink packages during spring break again. Friends of ours were on a Carnival 8 day cruise that same week so will be interesting to hear if they had lots of "free spirits" aka: spring breakers on their ship!

To Iamthesea: I usually do speak up but I think I felt outnumbered by the kids!! And as for the rude men in the theatre....you could just tell they were rude, miserable and not sure why they were on vacation since nothing seemed to make them happy. Another couple had mentioned to us after the one show that they heard them also and that they had sat with them at breakfast one morning in MDR and they did not want to engage in conversation at all and gave the impression that they were "better off" then everyone else. Oh well you just have to feel sorry for these folks and not stoop to there levels!

Wow. Is this the demographic that Celebrity is trying to attract? Not impressed.

If I were a passenger on this cruise, I would have been P**SED!

We went on an NCL cruise during spring break 2 years ago that was similar and we swore we would never go on another NCL cruise.

Went on a Celebrity cruise during Spring Break the year before that (out of San Juan) and had zero problems with out of control younger people. Every young person we saw was with their parent(s) and was very well-behaved.

Maybe it's just the problem of cruises that leave from Florida?

It's not Florida. Our first ever cruise with Celebrity was for my children's Spring break. My parents also cruised with us. It was the absolute best cruise that we had ever been on. Class, service, fun, well behaved kids and adults. Our children were in College, High School and Jr. High. This was on the Millie, out of Ft. Lauderdale in 2003. Things have changed, and not for the better. :eek:

Wish me luck in two weeks. Taking two of those same children (now 32 and 29) on a mother/daughter cruise. Staying in SS 6145. Hoping all goes well.

I was in Sky Suit 6126.

I asked a security guard watching the pool with people jumping into it why such actions were allowed. He said security was understaffed and they aren't like other lines prepared for so many drunk kids. When I asked why some of these kids were not cut off he bluntly said: It is all about revenue. I suspect many of these kids were in inside cabins and didn't have packages, but I obviously don't know the numbers.

I watched one young woman, coming in from a port day and wearing only a bikini and shoes (no coverup) say to her friends she refused to get into an elevator because it had 'too many old people' (including someone in a wheelchair). Just horrible behavior.

Interesting about 12 aft. It is huge, and could easily handle hundrds of chairs, but the few that were dragged up there were all removed every night to 11.

Such crude behavior. I never thought of the fact that one had to book an OV or higher to get the drink package. I'll bet the college spring breakers booked those rooms up. Why/how were the kids carded? Their ages should show up on the computer when their stateroom cards are shown.

I was on Connie in January and experienced the same smell. Exactly as you described it, that fishy garlicky smell on the pasta bar side of the buffet. It was definitely strong. I usually ate on the other side. I did think the buffet food was excellent. I really enjoyed creating my own little feasts.

What side of the ship is this pasta bar?

What side of the ship is this pasta bar?

Starboard. The buffet on Connie was a little strange. It wasn't open, where you can stand in the middle and look all around before heading to a station. It was a circle, with the stations facing outward. The middle of the circle was enclosed, where the workers disappeared to and brought food out. You had to walk around the whole thing to see what was available. And there were little stations that were easy to miss.

Even though the daily newsletter posted the hours of the buffet, one of the workers said there is always at least one station open, even if it's just snack-y things.

As I mentioned, I really liked the food. That smell was just something I was aware of, so I got my food and moved on. I try to eat outdoors, anyway.

Thanks! We have actually been on the Connie, but couldn't remember which side the pasta bar was on. I don't remember there being a smell. I frequented the pasta and salad bars. Starboard is the same side that we are on, currently. :(

Roohound, could you tell us whether or not they held the Captain's Brunch in the MDR on the last sea day? It is rumored that they have discontinued this, my favorite of traditions!!:(

Thanks! We have actually been on the Connie, but couldn't remember which side the pasta bar was on. I don't remember there being a smell. I frequented the pasta and salad bars. Starboard is the same side that we are on, currently. :(

I realized after I typed all that out that you were probably familiar with the ship, but left it there for others. Are you worried about your cabin? I only smelled the smell on the one side of the buffet, and maybe just inside the entrance on that side. It was strange how localized it was.