6pm Flight out of MIA ~ What to do for 5+hours

4merlurker

I have been trying to find reasonably priced flights for my parents (in their mid 70's) out of MIA to Newark NJ.

I found a nonstop flight that leaves MIA at 6pm for a great price BUT the ship docks in Miami at 8:30am - I would think they should be able to make the airport by noon but, unfortunetly would have to sit around for over 5 hours :eek: .

If I rent them a car ($40) what could they do to pass the time. Dads legs aren't so good so anything with a lot of walking is out of the question. :(

I hate to see them pay $300/pp :mad: for a flight with a 2pm return when they can pay less than that for both of them on the 6pm return.

Helppppppp!

You can try checking the ship's excursions. They usually offer something for people who have these late flights. They can store their luggage on the bus too, so don't have to worry about that. They usually get you back to the airport around 2-3pm.

Another option is get a hotel with a day rate. That way they can just grab a cab to the hotel and relax in the room or by the pool. Find a hotel near the airport so that they can then just take the free hotel shuttle back to the airport. (One hotel that gave us a day rate was the Wyndham Miami Airport.)

I would make sure that all this would still be cheaper than your earlier, more expensive, flight.

I have been trying to find reasonably priced flights for my parents (in their mid 70's) out of MIA to Newark NJ.

I found a nonstop flight that leaves MIA at 6pm for a great price BUT the ship docks in Miami at 8:30am - I would think they should be able to make the airport by noon but, unfortunetly would have to sit around for over 5 hours :eek: .

If I rent them a car ($40) what could they do to pass the time. Dads legs aren't so good so anything with a lot of walking is out of the question. :(

I hate to see them pay $300/pp :mad: for a flight with a 2pm return when they can pay less than that for both of them on the 6pm return.

Helppppppp!

Bayside is a waterside shopping and dining area right next to the port - with a car they can leave the luggage in the car and find dozens of places to sit and people watch & take a boat ride around the bay to see the homes of the rich and infamous in Miami....

http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/

and/or head over to South Beach with lunch at Joe's or Monty's

I don't know if you would be interested but another option may be for you to purchase an Admiral's Club daypass for the American Airlines Club at the Miami Airport. It would be a nice relaxing place for them to spend extra waiting time for thier flight. You can get a one day pass for $75 which includes the primary visitor and 1 guest. You can check it out at the www.aa.com website.

Club Amenities

Seating capacity for 286, six work desks, G1001 telephones, complimentary local phone service, computer port for laptop on phone, calculators, black and white copiers, Action FAX™ machine, message services, childrens room with activity table and books, complimentary coffee bar, full-service bar including cappucino and espresso, complimentary cheese, crackers and fruit in the afternoon, and healthy food choices for purchase. Shower facilities are available.

Information

Restrooms are available inside the club. Wheelchair accessibility.

Archived