Cost for a carton of ciggs

From US Customs website.

Traveler bringing tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, bidis, etc.) to the U.S. for their personal use.

A traveler may include up to 100 cigars and 200 cigarettes in the $800 exemption from duty. U.S. residents on State Department-licensed travel to Cuba may not bring cigars or other goods back with them from their visit.

Additional cigars and cigarettes may be brought into the country, but they will be subject to duty and Federal excise taxes. Cigarettes may also be subject to Federal excise tax. Rates may be viewed by visiting the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB). Note: Federal excise tax rates are for informational purposes only and actual tax or fee may vary according to a person's circumstances.

Bidis - essentially flavored cigarettes - are not generally permitted entry. For pipe/loose tobacco products, contact the port of entry directly.

Once every 31 days, a resident returning from travel from American Samoa, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), or the Virgin Islands of the United States may import 1,000 cigarettes (5 cartons), not more than 200 of which acquired elsewhere than in such locations, within the returning resident's $1,600 exemption from duty and taxes.

From US Customs website.

Traveler bringing tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, bidis, etc.) to the U.S. for their personal use.

A traveler may include up to 100 cigars and 200 cigarettes in the $800 exemption from duty. U.S. residents on State Department-licensed travel to Cuba may not bring cigars or other goods back with them from their visit.

Additional cigars and cigarettes may be brought into the country, but they will be subject to duty and Federal excise taxes. Cigarettes may also be subject to Federal excise tax. Rates may be viewed by visiting the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB). Note: Federal excise tax rates are for informational purposes only and actual tax or fee may vary according to a person's circumstances.

Bidis - essentially flavored cigarettes - are not generally permitted entry. For pipe/loose tobacco products, contact the port of entry directly.

Once every 31 days, a resident returning from travel from American Samoa, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), or the Virgin Islands of the United States may import 1,000 cigarettes (5 cartons), not more than 200 of which acquired elsewhere than in such locations, within the returning resident's $1,600 exemption from duty and taxes.

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with the PRICE of a carton of cigs... :rolleyes:

Does anyone know how much the cartons are on the ship? Don't really want to pack one if I don't have to.

Seems like nobody wants to tell you this but you cannot buy cigarettes on day one and take them back to the cabin to use. Only time you can carry them back is on the last day. I tried this on Allure two months ago. I ran out of cigarettes two days before the end of the cruise and was told I had to buy them at the bar if I wanted to smoke them right away. If not they deliver them, along with liquor on the last day.

Does anyone know how much the cartons are on the ship? Don't really want to pack one if I don't have to.

It was 2 cartons for $63, or 5 cartons for $110 on Serenade last month. That was for Marlboro Reds.

If you are visiting one of the islands you can buy carton for $18.00

That depends on the islands. They are definitely cheap in St. Maarten, and St. Thomas. Grand Cayman, not so much. ;)

Does anyone know how much they are in st. Marteen or st. Kitts? How many can you bring back to the US per person? And is there a tax to pay to customs?

St. Maarten is one of the cheapest places to buy cigarettes. There's a duty free store right at the pier. I've never bought any in St. Kitts.

I remember them being the cheapest in St. Maartan/St. Thomas. Anyone know about Grand Cayman or Cozumel? Something tells me they are not going to be that inexpensive.

Agreed about the eastern caribbean being cheaper than the western. Nothing is cheap in Grand Cayman, lol, and I've never priced them in Cozumel.

Seems like nobody wants to tell you this but you cannot buy cigarettes on day one and take them back to the cabin to use. Only time you can carry them back is on the last day. I tried this on Allure two months ago. I ran out of cigarettes two days before the end of the cruise and was told I had to buy them at the bar if I wanted to smoke them right away. If not they deliver them, along with liquor on the last day.

I've never bought cigarettes on day ONE, but I have bought them plenty later in the cruise, and have NEVER had to wait to have them delivered to my cabin. I've always been able to purchase and carry. The only time I did have to wait, was when I purchased them downtown in Barbados, and the shop delivered to the ship (wouldn't let me carry them.) I did receive them later that evening in my cabin.

That being said, I haven't sailed on Allure yet, so there is that, lol.

As far as how many you can bring back, let's just say that I take advantage of those prices. ;)

I remember them being the cheapest in St. Maartan/St. Thomas. Anyone know about Grand Cayman or Cozumel? Something tells me they are not going to be that inexpensive.

On the Brilliance, Marlboro..2 for $63. As of 3/10

This is so not true!!! I have been on the Allure 3 times and always bought them on day 1, and took them to my cabin. Also they do not sell cigarettes at any bar on board!!

When I read the title " Cost of a Carton of Cigarette", this is what came to my mind... My bad.

Every cigarette a man smokes reduces his life by 11 minutes. Each carton of cigarettes thus represents a day and a half of lost life. Every year a man smokes a pack a day, he shortens his life by almost 2 months.

{University of California, Berkeley Wellness Letter, April 2000}