Can a 10 year old take Bonine??

EasyBreezy83

Thanks to all that responded with actual advice.

A lot of you have responded as if me wanting to prevent him from being seasick is the worst thing in the world! Seriously, how many of you would open a vacation with sick kids with open arms??? I seriously doubt trying to prevent my kid from being sick is the worst thing I can do. :rolleyes:

I did speak with his doctor and he AGREES with me about preventing the outcome before it has a chance to kick in, and he's prescribed him something for the trip. :eek: Crazy right??? Sorry if I'm being a little sarcastic, but some of the responses I got here were pretty judgmental, and I didn't appreciate that.

Again, to the rest of you that actually responded with advice and wisdom. THANK YOU. I greatly appreciate it. :D

Here's to a great family cruise!!

Seeing we've had this lengthy conversation and many have tried to help, please don't leave us 'hanging' and not tell us what your doctor prescribed. There are other Moms/caregivers here who could benefit by learning what they could ask their pediatricians about. If your doctor think it appropriate for your son, it is likely it would help other children.

Thanks. :)

Hope you have a GREAT cruise.

The medicine is called ONDANSETRON... However after picking it up and reading it, I've decided not to give it to him. It says it can cause headaches and I don't feel comfortable giving it to him.

I found an OTC thing at the store that says safe for adults and and kids. It's just like a generic Dramamine, or something close to it, but says its safe for kids 6 and up. Adults too.

seabands always work for us. and ginger chews as back up. no medications in the system. seabands can be obtained at any pharmacy store, we get our ginger chews at whole foods.

If I feel queasy I try the ginger first, if the queasy doesn't respond to that I grab the bands and put em on. Mom gets seasick really easily, and uses the bands most of the time. She keeps em handy and at the first twinge puts em on. She used to have to start with them almost as soon as we left the pier, but the last few trips she's only needed them occasionally during the trip, usually when the seas were rougher than usual.

I'd try that with kids before I'd try medications. (I'd have the meds as back up, but I'd try the other stuff first. )

enjoy your trip,

Tutu

seabands always work for us. and ginger chews as back up. no medications in the system. seabands can be obtained at any pharmacy store, we get our ginger chews at whole foods.

If I feel queasy I try the ginger first, if the queasy doesn't respond to that I grab the bands and put em on. Mom gets seasick really easily, and uses the bands most of the time. She keeps em handy and at the first twinge puts em on. She used to have to start with them almost as soon as we left the pier, but the last few trips she's only needed them occasionally during the trip, usually when the seas were rougher than usual.

I'd try that with kids before I'd try medications. (I'd have the meds as back up, but I'd try the other stuff first. )

enjoy your trip,

Tutu

When I was talking with the pharmacist he was saying sea bands was a good option. Unfortunately they only had them in adult sizes. I went to different stores to see if they had them in different sizes elsewhere, but everywhere I went only had adult bands. I will have to keep them in mind for later down the line though.

When my son was 11, the doctor prescribed him the Ondansetron also as he was too young for the scopalomone patch. I didn't use it for him though because of the possible side effects. He ended up using the sea bands which DID work for him. They only had adult size on the ship so that is what he used which worked fine. Because they are stretchy they still fit. I just purchased another set for him for our upcoming cruise. He wanted a different color than gray. They also have a camouflage one for kids which you can buy online.

When my son was 11, the doctor prescribed him the Ondansetron also as he was too young for the scopalomone patch. I didn't use it for him though because of the possible side effects. He ended up using the sea bands which DID work for him. They only had adult size on the ship so that is what he used which worked fine. Because they are stretchy they still fit. I just purchased another set for him for our upcoming cruise. He wanted a different color than gray. They also have a camouflage one for kids which you can buy online.

Those side effects are nasty! I'm sure I made the right choice to not give it to him. I still have about 2 weeks before we set sail, so I will have to keep an eye out for the bands. Or I'll just go back where I was a grab the adult size if you say they still fit your child. Thanks!

Yes. The adult size seabands did fit my son. Just take him to the store to try them on. They are less expensive at Target, about $7 while Walgreens has them for $12.49. They come in gray, black and pink. I'm also going to have him try ginger gum, if needed. We are going on an 11 day next.

Yes. The adult size seabands did fit my son. Just take him to the store to try them on. They are less expensive at Target, about $7 while Walgreens has them for $12.49. They come in gray, black and pink. I'm also going to have him try ginger gum, if needed. We are going on an 11 day next.

Yea, that's about the price I saw them at.