Tour Tipping

PrincessJen

By tours do you mean the shore excursions? I have never tipped them. Then again I have never done a shore excursion that had a leader or guide per se.

So you have zero information on the subject but responded anyway. :rolleyes:

OP: As always, tipping is a personal subject which often leads to heated debate. Personally, I don't tip guides based on any percentage of the cost of the trip, but rather the guides work/service/knowledge and how all that translates into my having a great experience. A good example... on a recent Alaska rafting trip (the Eagle Preserve in Hanes), I tipped our guides $50. $40 for the dude paddling the friggin' raft and spotting eagles, and $10 for the loudmouth/guide on the bus. Musher's Sled Camp folks got $20 from the wife and I, and I think I once stiffed some cantankerous guide somewhere... don't remember.

Point is, feel it out... bring some cash... if you're feeling tippy, then tip. Those seasonal tour guides really do depend on tips as a component of their pay. If they're knowledgeable and good at what they do, then...

I really play it by ear. In Roatan we hired Victor Bodden Tours for a private van to take us around, including to Victor's property that had a zip line and zoo. Since the driver was our personal guide for about 6 hours I think I tipped him $40. That's a lot of money in Roatan. We also had 3 guides helping us on the zipline course and at the zoo. I think I provided $60 for them to share.

On our Alaska trip to Sawyer Glacier we were on a chartered smaller boat, and other than tipping the wait staff at the food/drink counter, there wasn't an obvious person to tip.

One our fishing trip in Ketchikan it was the owner/operator that took us out. I didn't tip him since he was getting hundreds of dollars for a short fishing trip, as opposed to some guide making $10 per hour.

We took a private raft trip in Skagway and tipped the two guides $20 each for their effort.

Edited by sdmike

I also play it by ear and tip based on how well the guide performed their job and on duration and on circumstances. I generally tip from $5 to $40 depending on these factors. I've had some very poor guides that didn't get much from me. I've also had some amazing guides in Europe that I wanted to let them know they did a tremendous job. I also usually give the driver $5-10 depending on the duration of the trip IF it seems to be a locale where the driver is expecting a tip.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I tend to tip the guide and a little something to the driver too, if they are not one and the same. How much depends on the way the excursion was conducted. If we are rushed through everywhere, knowledge and explanation poor, quality if English poor then probably nothing but a good guide will get a good tip.

We always take NCL sponsored excursions.

Based on the "tipping box" and what we've seen handed to tour guides and/or bus drivers, I'd say the figures quoted here so far are very high.

The tips we have seen handed out were in the form of ones at the most fives.

Granted we always cruise to the south and some of these posts are from the U.S.

Edited by che5904

I always tip the guide unless he/she has been really bad for some reason (that has happened...). Usually in the range of $5.00-$10.00 if the cruise is in the Caribbean, and 5.00-10.00 euros if the cruise is in Europe. I leave it up to the guide to share with the driver (they usually do).

We don't tip either. All of our excursions are through NCL and the price should cover everything. Unless someone personally waits on one of us (as in bringing us a drink) there is no need to tip.

Tour operators and staff don't make any more money on tours booked through NCL than if you book separately. In fact, they may make less if NCL gets a bulk rate.

Regardless a bus driver or tour guide does not get any money directly from NCL under any circumstances.

I typically start at $20 and adjust downwards if the tour isn't enjoyable and upwards if it is out of this world. (Road To Hana in Hawaii - 10 hours of near non-stop narration - that driver got $40!)

A good rule of thumb is $5 for the guide and $3 for the driver for half-day, and $10 for the guide and $5 for the driver for full day, per person. Occasionally, when the guide is exceptional I provide a little more. Also, if an additional guide provides service at a specific location I also tip him or her based on the quality of the tour. I am always surprised when a tourist does not offer a tip after an enjoyable excursion.

Why should you rely on others regarding how much you should tip

Tip to your hearts content if you feel it is well deserved

If I usually give 20% it doesn't mean you should or have to

It depends on what you can afford and what type of service you received

Americans are so tip conscious

In Europe tipping is a rarity

That's why when us Europeans travel to the states we get a bad rap for not tipping

When in rome so I tip but I tip accordingly

If someone decides to enter into an industry that accepts tips - they need to realize that not everyone tips or tips the amount they want them to.

To the OP: Tip whatever you want or don't tip if you don't want to. It's your money.

And before some of you get your panties in a wade - I worked as a Black jack dealer for over 20 years and depended on tips for my livelihood. So I know it can be disappointing and hurtful not to get a tip.

No one is forcing anyone into working in the service industry, it's their CHOICE!

Edited by cpiers

A good rule of thumb is $5 for the guide and $3 for the driver for half-day, and $10 for the guide and $5 for the driver for full day, per person. Occasionally, when the guide is exceptional I provide a little more. Also, if an additional guide provides service at a specific location I also tip him or her based on the quality of the tour. I am always surprised when a tourist does not offer a tip after an enjoyable excursion.

Exactly what We were going to write. Many people do not tip since they think the excursion price includes everything. We do not. We give tips for good service. We enjoy doing it. We do see many just walking away. We stop and compliment the driver, tour guide etc and say thank you. We always have singles and five dollar bills with us.