“My dream is to invent the iPhone of the cruise industry” - Pierfrancesco Vago

Skipper Tim

It is good to have a dream. Interesting analogy. As Sidari says the UK website is a shambles whereas the SA site, where I am just now, is quite slick in comparison.

Annie

It is an interesting analogy. It is admission and acceptance from a CEO - a potentially difficult and hyper-critical individual - that Apple nailed the smartphone market with the iPhone. This raises the question what would the iPhone of the cruise industry be?

I think MSc are already doing fairly well in terms of value and onboard experience for the iPhone market. Optimising the value equation will take some original thinking. Apple have never, ever been cheap but they have often been the best value. MSC can already offer a quality product at a better price than the competition. Getting the new build ships right has to be central. I would have thought short, fat and slow going to less-obvious ports - this gives economies of scale, allows access to smaller ports, saves fuel and keeps life interesting for the guests who may have cruised-out on the most visited ports.

Being 'iPhone' however will take a dedicated design team working flat out 10 years ahead of the competition and patenting everything they do.

Discuss.

Tim.

It is an interesting analogy. It is admission and acceptance from a CEO - a potentially difficult and hyper-critical individual - that Apple nailed the smartphone market with the iPhone. This raises the question what would the iPhone of the cruise industry be?

I think MSc are already doing fairly well in terms of value and onboard experience for the iPhone market. Optimising the value equation will take some original thinking. Apple have never, ever been cheap but they have often been the best value. MSC can already offer a quality product at a better price than the competition. Getting the new build ships right has to be central. I would have thought short, fat and slow going to less-obvious ports - this gives economies of scale, allows access to smaller ports, saves fuel and keeps life interesting for the guests who may have cruised-out on the most visited ports.

Being 'iPhone' however will take a dedicated design team working flat out 10 years ahead of the competition and patenting everything they do.

Discuss.

Tim.

You think they are doing well in terms of value ....... a European TA has just released more inside cabins for the Oz Orchestra cruise which for a solo is over 10000 Euros pp - ouch doesn't even come close.

Where Apple led, Samsung and others followed - would that happen in the cruise industry wrt to MSC ? - don't think so.

Certainly many moan about the same old, same old itineraries so I agree go somewhere different on smaller ships. Include in the cruise fare all gratuities, drink and internet packages.

By all means charge a solo penalty but announce and allocate a quota of cabins. After all kids can sail free so why punish solos - all demographic studies show that we are an increasing percentage of the population. The cruise line that treats this group consistently fairly IMHO will be on to a winner.

Apple excel at customer service in the UK IMHO - a good place to start?

Annie

Edited by anniegb

What makes Apple stand out?

- an excellent product that does exactly what you want as is without having to muck around adding extra stuff to make it usable

- a range of add-ons that seamlessly enhance the user's experience

- awesome customer support

- a high degree of aesthetics (the glamour and glitz aspect)

The emphasis of Apple and other similar brands such as Nespresso, is firmly on the customer and making sure they get a superior experience with the minimum of hassle. Hand over your money and immediately get a guaranteed excellent product.

Simplicity. Ease of use. Glamour.

From what I've heard (having not yet cruised) MSC tends to deliver on the onboard experience. Common criticism is that the customer service and the pre-boarding experience (ie website) are lacking. In today's internet age this simply isn't acceptable and MSC need to get this right ASAP.