At phillipsburgh a beach

AKtoFL

You can walk about a mile I'd guess. Or for $7.00 round trip, take the water taxi right into town. (can go back and forth as many times as you want). The "town" beach is long and lined with restaurants and walkway. You can rent chairs from many places. Lots of shopping along Front and Back streets. "Straw Market" is in Marigot ( other side of the island) if that's the outdoor market stands you are thinking of.

If u just get off at dock area what is in walking distance, beach? Shopping? Straw market? Historical sites? Do u have to take a taxi, is bus system easy & safe ?

There is not a beach within walking distance that I would swim in but the beach itself is a fun place to hang out and there is great shopping and plenty of beach bars and restaurants and a museum as well. You can even catch a bus in town that will take you to Maho to swim and to see the airplanes landing and taking off.

Get the all day water taxi for $7pp. Water Taxi is a short walk down the pier to your left. This allows you to bring purchases back to the ship, eat for free and return to the beach. When you exit the water taxi downtown Phillisburg, the beach is both on your right and your left. There will be many hawkers who try to lead you to chairs as they make money from the store fronts. Don't allow this as you get a better deal by telling them "No Thank you" and finding the seats yourself. Walk to the left down the beach about half way down you will find Lizzy's. There we got 2 beach chairs, an umbrella, a water float, 2 Red Stripe beers and two shots of flavored rum and free WiFi...all for just $12 total,,,NOT per person. Last year it was $10. I sat on the beach and swam in beautiful water. We sat up under Lizzy's covered open porch, listening to music while enjoying $1.50 beers after our freebees. There is free wifi. There is also a big water trampoline that was free and plenty of jet skis to rent along the beach. We went early to get the best chairs,went shopping a little, went back to our ship for lunch and returned to our chairs by the water for the remainder of the day. The shopping in the next street over and you can access it right next to Lizzy's up the side street, We met wonderful people and they watched our chairs and things. This is by far the greatest island stop for a non expensive excursion...don't miss it!

Don't forget to visit "Juggies-World's Smallest Bar." 2 beers & cuban cigar for $2.99.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g147347-d147595-i91270863-Frontstreet-Philipsburg_Sint_Maarten_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

Edited by Jolly Mon Sings

Get the all day water taxi for $7pp. Water Taxi is a short walk down the pier to your left. This allows you to bring purchases back to the ship, eat for free and return to the beach. When you exit the water taxi downtown Phillisburg, the beach is both on your right and your left. There will be many hawkers who try to lead you to chairs as they make money from the store fronts. Don't allow this as you get a better deal by telling them "No Thank you" and finding the seats yourself. Walk to the left down the beach about half way down you will find Lizzy's. There we got 2 beach chairs, an umbrella, a water float, 2 Red Stripe beers and two shots of flavored rum and free WiFi...all for just $12 total,,,NOT per person. Last year it was $10. I sat on the beach and swam in beautiful water. We sat up under Lizzy's covered open porch, listening to music while enjoying $1.50 beers after our freebees. There is free wifi. There is also a big water trampoline that was free and plenty of jet skis to rent along the beach. We went early to get the best chairs,went shopping a little, went back to our ship for lunch and returned to our chairs by the water for the remainder of the day. The shopping in the next street over and you can access it right next to Lizzy's up the side street, We met wonderful people and they watched our chairs and things. This is by far the greatest island stop for a non expensive excursion...don't miss it!

Don't forget to visit "Juggies-World's Smallest Bar." 2 beers & cuban cigar for $2.99.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g147347-d147595-i91270863-Frontstreet-Philipsburg_Sint_Maarten_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

Are you saying I can ignore all this chatter about poluted waters in the bay beach by the shopping area? I was there 10 years ago and loved it. Any parasailing there?

Are you saying I can ignore all this chatter about poluted waters in the bay beach by the shopping area? I was there 10 years ago and loved it. Any parasailing there?

Of course you can, many CRUISERS do just that. Not this cruiser though. I read about, stayed out of and then saw the brown sludgy water. Yuck. Looks like things are slowly improving with the water pollution concerns at Great Bay beach thanks to the St. Maarten Nature Foundation though.

The chicken littles would like you to believe that the water at Grand Bay is unsafe to swim. That is clearly not the fact. The St. Maarten Nature Foundation annually test water quality at seven sites around the island including Grand Bay. Test results have shown that water is safe for swimming.

http://www.naturefoundationsxm.org/pdfs/Water-Quality-Testing.pdf

Thousands of people visit this beach annually and the beach is primary source of income for many businesses.I am sure if there was a problem with the water which affected swimmers it would be widely publicized similar to the mosquito problem on other parts of the island.

Come on in the water's fine!

Sail'in On.............

Edited by Jolly Mon Sings

The chicken littles would like you to believe that the water at Grand Bay is unsafe to swim. That is clearly not the fact. The St. Maarten Nature Foundation annually test water quality at seven sites around the island including Grand Bay. Test results have shown that water is safe for swimming.

Thousands of people visit this beach annually and the beach is primary source of income for many businesses.I am sure if there was a problem with the water which affected swimmers it would be widely publicized similar to the mosquito problem on other parts of the island.

Sail'in On.............

Not chicken little. Am still booking my 2 week summer holiday in St Masrten despite the mosquito issue. I spend money on Front an Back St and the boardwalk on every trip. Like the locals I chose to swim in less polluted water. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Not chicken little. Am still booking my 2 week summer holiday in St Masrten despite the mosquito issue. I spend money on Front an Back St and the boardwalk on every trip. Like the locals I chose to swim in less polluted water. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I have read enough of your posts over the years to know you always give accurate and thoughtful information.

I will be another " chicken little" who stays out of Great Bay.

Thanks for keeping us informed!!!

Sail'in On.............

Agree! We've been there and would have no problem going again.

It's so very close and convenient. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Of course you can, many CRUISERS do just that. Not this cruiser though. I read about, stayed out of and then saw the brown sludgy water. Yuck. Looks like things are slowly improving with the water pollution concerns at Great Bay beach thanks to the St. Maarten Nature Foundation though.

Sorry I may have misspoke here. Things may not be improving on the pollution front at Great Bay after all. I just came across a thread from cc member djjoe entitled "Sint Maarten Great Bay Beach -Water Pollution Warning!

He reports visiting Great Bay In the end of February of 2014 and noting a sewer smell and seeing what sounds like the same type of dark brown sludgy water draining into the water in Great Bay that I myself reported seeing a few years ago.

We spent two weeks in St. Maarten in January - there is obvious outflow of foul water into Great Bay. Of course it gets diluted, but with the number of pristine beaches on the island, I prefer the others.

If you are not interested in actually going in the water, the beach is fine - no smell along the central area, shopping and eating opportunities everywhere - including what is essentially a "straw market" ( thought not called that) a couple of blocks in from the center of the beach - where water taxi pier is.