What is your favourite seafood/fish dish?

It's a nice pipe dream but the reality is, unless you live in or near a port where the fishing industry thrives, you will be eating flash frozen seafood/fish. Unless, of course, you are willing and financially able to have it flown in fresh. :)

I agree, there is nothing better than eating mussles right off the rocks in Washington, or steaming a fresh pot of clams. How about sitting on a dock at a Gulf Coast town eating freshly shucked oyters.:p

Sadly, I think getting fresh fish and seafood from a port of call could be an issue. It would be fun until the first person got sick from poorly handled food by a local vendor. If you think the industry got a bad reputation for Noro, imagine if the press got ahold of a food issue?

My favorite place in the world is sitting at Pompano Joes right on the beach in Destin, FL with a dozen raw oysters and a beer :)

I for one I don't think it would be very cost effective to try to purchase fresh seafood for every ship that is out there cruising on any given day in the bulk that would be needed to feed the amount of people on those ships. At home I buy frozen seafood and when I want some fresh I buy that also but it is not always feasible to cook fresh everytime I want it. On the ship the prep time to prepare that amount of fresh seafood would be much greater than preparing frozen. With that being said I have enjoyed the Fisherman's Platter in the MDR but my favorite is the Seafood Skewer in Portifino........Delicious and Filling! :cool:

any others? I'm wondering about the tuna on the solarium menu? the sushi in uzami? worth the upcharge?

Izumi is very good, at least what I've had of it. We did the sushi making class and got to eat what we made. Someone who actually dined there can get into more detail though.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, you won't get great seafood on a cruise. They don't get daily fresh catch, and have to serve thousands of people banquet style food that's been in storage for days.

If you want good seafood, best bet is to find a local seafood place ashore while in port. You can find good food ashore in most places if you look for where the locals eat. You can also get good seafood at most departure ports before or after your cruise.

Buying fresh fish locally would be extremely expensive. The population of the ship is nearly as much, or even more than the entire population of the port they are at. Local supply cannot instantly meet this demand, so they could probably only buy fish for a few dozen people at most. This means there would be a lot of people wanting the fresh fish, but only a few fish available....meaning very high prices.

Supply would be spotty. If the weather were bad, they may not have any fresh catch, so would not be able to plan inventory or meals ahead of time. Quality would be a constant issue.

Find out where the locals eat and get some fresh seafood while in port. You can get good seafood in the departure ports so plan a nice meal before or after the cruise.