What're your thoughts on MSC?

NOSaints1

p.s. hint: cheap hot dog vs great prime rib or bad, off-key singer performing on passenger talent show vs Ella Fitzgerald

I did notice on my most recent MSC cruise that Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra featured among the piped music selection. Now if any cruise ship has any of these live, I would be most interested.

The ship and crew are great, the company has its head up its rear end.

Couldn't agree more.

If the experience dealing with the company was as good as the onboard one, I would never consider any other cruiseline. But for the last few months I've had several (minor) issues which left me wondering if I should be trying another company.

I did notice on my most recent MSC cruise that Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra featured among the piped music selection. Now if any cruise ship has any of these live, I would be most interested.

Try booking passage on The Flying Dutchman. It might be available via HAL agents.

Did you read the title of my post which apparently so puzzled you that you got mad? It should make it obvious that my reference to Justice Scalia has to do with blaming MSC for the consequences of its actions so far removed from its actions that it's unreasonable to ascribe blame to MSC. It would be analogous to blaming the blacksmith for the loss of a kingdom because he screwed up shoeing a horse.

Likewise your comment on the subjectivity of food/entertainment/MDR dress suggestions (sic) is not well considered. While there is an element of subjectivity in re appreciating the quality of food and entertainment (not sure how that applies to shipboard rules), there are limits to subjectivity. That is, there are lines past which all sentient, reasonable people would agree something is bad or unacceptable. I could give examples if it would help you comprehend the concept of unacceptable quality, but the concept is so self-evident I'll assume you get it, unless, of course, you're unreasonable and insentient. Let me know if that applies.

p.s. hint: cheap hot dog vs great prime rib or bad, off-key singer performing on passenger talent show vs Ella Fitzgerald

or Luciano Pavarotti.

It would seem my joke went right over your head, insentient as you would put it!:eek:

It would be insensate of you to think that some people might not rather have a cheap hot dog then a prime rib!

The limits you speak of are yours, not for everyone else!

It would seem my joke went right over your head, insentient as you would put it!:eek:

It would be insensate of you to think that some people might not rather have a cheap hot dog then a prime rib!

The limits you speak of are yours, not for everyone else!

Joke? Over my head? Help me to understand the joke you refer to from your prior post upon which I commented. Your post was:

You lost me when you mentioned Scalia!

Food/Entertainment/MDR dress suggestions, etc. are all subjective!

But chair hogs are selfish pigs/fact!

Yes, some people might like a cheap hot dog more than prime rib. Are you one of them? Do you think a high % of cruisers would? The limits I spoke of are not just mine. They are for most normal people with normal tastes. There are always exceptions. You insist that there can never be consensus that something is bad - I disagree. No sense to argue about it. You are entitled to your opinion.

Edited by pmacher61

Try booking passage on The Flying Dutchman. It might be available via HAL agents.

The Flying Dutchman always comes top in the least cost per night league tables but I have never found a suitable itinerary.

MSC have some of the best piped music on the planet. I am sure a consensus could easily be reached on that - "Music is the universal language of mankind".

The Flying Dutchman always comes top in the least cost per night league tables but I have never found a suitable itinerary.

Do you have any deck plans? I find that a wrap around promenade deck is a necessary design element and simply will not consider any ship that lacks this essential feature.

Do you have any deck plans? I find that a wrap around promenade deck is a necessary design element and simply will not consider any ship that lacks this essential feature.

Too funny!

You should hVe been on our Armonia jaunt, you'd have fitted right in with the rest of the gang!

Don't knock it until you've tried it..........especially the Yacht Club. It knocks any other line out of the water unless you go on a "luxury line". (Which would cost you a LEAST 3X's more)!!!

Yes, I agree, but not as vital as an observation deck.

Sounds like you all had a lot of fun. I really enjoyed reading about it! Maybe you should join us on our Preziosa jaunt? :p

That's a very nice thought. Unfortunately all of the remainder of this year's annual leave and holiday money is accounted for by a land trip to Hong Kong, Fiji and Australia in 6 months time. It will be 2015 before I can set foot back on a MSc ship again.

Happy sailing!

Edited by AmoMondo

Yes, I agree, but not as vital as an observation deck.

I understand the joke, but in all fairness, Divina should have a forward observation deck or lounge for those of us in steerage(not Yacht Club). Twice on our last sailing the ship was sailing directly into the sunset when leaving Jamaica and Grand Cayman, and the only place to actually see the sun set would be from the excersise gym, not the best location to enjoy a sunset cocktail. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That's a very nice thought. Unfortunately all of the remainder of this year's annual leave and holiday money is accounted for by a land trip to Hong Kong, Fiji and Australia in 6 months time. It will be 2015 before I can set foot back on a MSc ship again.

Happy sailing!

I am appalled that you are going all the way to Australia (where all the wildlife is determined to kill you) and not completing the journey by visiting glorious NZ! We have Hobbit holes!!!

I am appalled that you are going all the way to Australia (where all the wildlife is determined to kill you) and not completing the journey by visiting glorious NZ! We have Hobbit holes!!!

Lol!

I have been to NZ before and really enjoyed it(apart from the cyclone - I could have done without that experience!). Spent almost 4 weeks dotting about the North and South Islands.

The problem used to be not enough money to do big trips, but my work would happily let a minion go away in the UK winter for 6 or 8 weeks. Now it is the opposite problem, can only get 3 weeks off, so as much as it would be nice to take a trip over to NZ again, just don't have the time. It will have to wait until another year.

I have a similar problem only in my case it's the kids tying me down and restricting my escape to just two weeks! :D

It sounds like you spent a good amount of time here in NZ and have 'done' the country far better than most tourists. I shall grant you clemency and give you a pass to visit Australia without coming here. :D

In other news, I am now exactly two months out from my cruise and getting very excited. It was my birthday last Saturday and one of my friends gave me 20 euros to buy myself a drink on her whilst away. I'm baffled by all the grumbly negative reports on MSC compared to the experiences of yourself and other frequent travelers, but consoled by the thought that I shall be kid free and so well provided with drinks that most perceived problems will be water off a ducks back for me!