Room Service/Room Steward

Happy2cruise

Recently off the Silhouette and ordered room service one night. Was totally surprised to see our room steward delivering the order:confused: as other cruiselines have a room service staff member do this. When asked why he was delivering, the room steward said it is the policy of Celebrity that if they are on duty then they go get the food and deliver it to the cabin:confused:....as if the room stewards don't have enough to do.

IMO, Celebrity needs to re-think this policy as it is a health safety issue. Room Stewards are cleaning staterooms using chemicals and more than likely working up a sweat and then in between their normal housekeeping duties they are handling food trays:(.

Does anyone else feel this is a wrong and Celebrity should change it or is it just me?

These days all employees might be involved in cleaning. Recently we saw bar staff wiping down plastic chairs, and buffet staff wiping down service areas and food preparation areas, it happens all the time. Your steward isn't cooking your food, just delivering the tray

Edited by WestLakeGirl

Room Stewarts often deliver meals whether breakfast, lunch or dinner. Agree that they have a lot to do but their assistants are often responsible for the grunt work of cleaning the room & bath. I doubt that there is any cross contamination.

Mary Lou

Stewards are supposedly normally the ones who provide room service, but because it may be another crewmember it's advisable to have a tip ready for them, since you may not see that crewmember again. I've had a cruise when it was always the steward, and a cruise when it was never the steward-- luck of the draw, I suspect.

I wasn't even thinking about the germs but I feel the same way. I fell bad for the steward having to deliver my room service. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Duanerice for your 2 cents;). I guess I am use to Princess where room service has their own staff to deliver orders. As I said before, the stewards have more than enough to do without delivering trays. I know I could not do the job they do and I'm sure not many others on this board could either.

Stewards are supposedly normally the ones who provide room service, but because it may be another crewmember it's advisable to have a tip ready for them, since you may not see that crewmember again. I've had a cruise when it was always the steward, and a cruise when it was never the steward-- luck of the draw, I suspect.

Was told it is only Celebrity who has this policy. Whenever sailing other cruiselines, have never had a steward deliver room service.