Anyone Ever Done The Dolphin Excursion In Bermuda??

SerenadingSarah

I did the fins and flippers on July 21, 2005 with my 8 year old daughter. We had a great time. For 95.00 per person I felt it was incredible interactive. We were able to touch the dolphins (they laid down right in front of you and practically put their heads on your lap) feed the dolphins, throw the dolphins toys and they even brought them back. We definitly got wer! They splash! My 8 year old was a little scared, they are very large up close (one was 9 feet), and when they come up to you and open their mouths, wow all those teeth! Any way we loved it, she says it was the best part of the trip and I agree. When you talk to them, I swear they make eye contact with you. Enjoy!

I did the fins and flippers on July 21, 2005 with my 8 year old daughter. We had a great time. For 95.00 per person I felt it was incredibly interactive. We were able to touch the dolphins (they laid down right in front of you and practically put their heads on your lap) feed the dolphins, throw the dolphins toys and they even brought them back. We definitly got wer! They splash! My 8 year old was a little scared, they are very large up close (one was 9 feet), and when they come up to you and open their mouths, wow all those teeth! Any way we loved it, she says it was the best part of the trip and I agree. When you talk to them, I swear they make eye contact with you. Enjoy!

I would suggest calling ahead and make reservations beofre your cruise or make them the day you arrive for the next day or so. They only take small groups ata time and they only take so many groups a day. If you really want to do this or if you want to do it at a certain part of the day, this is the way to go.

They don't let you take pictures, you have to buy theirs.

There are also different packages. Some are just to meet and interact. Some include swimming. Any package is expensive, since the money is for the care of the animals and to keep the groups in low numbers to make it easier for the dolphins.

I believe it's worth it.

There was just another whole thread on this. I would advise, for the sake of the dolphins, that you skip this. The dolphins are kept in very tiny pools 24-hours a day. This is cruel. If you do the "dolphin quest" then you are supporting the cruelty.

Please do some research on the web regarding this program. You may find that there is more to it than meets the eye. It's quite sad.

Surfgirl, I hear you. I really do. I consider myself an animal activist myself, but I was quite ignorant about this dolphin thing. Sad and disappointing...being such an animal lover, I thought it would be amazing to be with them in their habitat...but I thought it would be their natural habitat, not in their little jail cells. I was devastated to learn what happened to those poor little guys during Hurricane Gert. SHAMEFUL!! Anyway, so besides snorkeling....any suggestions or ideas about something similarly fun to do with animals that doesn't support cruelty? I'm all ears! Thanks, and thank you for speaking for those who can't speak for themselves!

-Sarah

They don't let you take pictures, you have to buy theirs.

While visiting the Dcokyard Museum in Sept 2002, we watched the Dolphins and people having their expereinces. We were allowed to snap away and those hwo were accompanying theit family/friends who were with the dolphins were allowed to take as many photos of the interaction with the dolphins as possible all in addition to the photos that are part of the package.

What do they do to these dolphins? There is plenty of information on the internet.

But, for starters... Dolphin Quest keeps these poor guys in tiny pens 24 hours a day. Not only is this extremely stressful, but it plays havoc with their sonar. It is very cruel.

They keep the dolphins hungry all the time so that they will "perform" for food.

Again, very cruel.

Read up.. there's lots of info out there.

If people didn't support programs like these, the cruelty would end. Please think carefully about it before buying a ticket.

I've never done the dolphin quest in Bermuda, but have done it in Nassau in the Bahamas. There, the dolphins are not kept in small confined areas, but pretty large lagoons and are allowed to swim between them. Also they did not force the dolphins to "perform" (which is actually doing what comes naturally to them) - if they didn't feel like coming in to the center of the platform where the people were, they were allowed to swim and cavort at their leisure. However, most of them did come in to interact with the us and it was a wonderful experience. I do not condone cruelty to any of God's living creatures and certainly would not support any program that I felt was responsible for such. I did not get over to the Dolphin Quest area in Bermuda so cannot compare the setup there with that in Naussau.

Archived