Upgrading on BA to World Traveller Plus

Dorset Cruiser

Anyone have any idea of the approximate upgrade cost to World Traveller Plus on a long haul flight to San Francisco? Is it the same as if we booked on BA website?

Not tried this with P&O only with Princess to Miami. We found that it was considerably cheaper to book our own flights direct with BA when we wanted to book World Traveller Plus.

Richard

Whatever it costs, I would definitely upgrade to World Traveller Plus as economy is very cramped IMO. It will be cheaper to book it yourself direct with BA, which is what we intend to do for our next cruise.

Not only that but you get double the baggage allowance which if you are a dressing up for dinner kind of person on a two week or longer cruise can save you a few quid on extra baggage fees. Book early though if you want a specific flight as there are generally no more than about 4-5 rows of WTP seats on each plane

We would be flying to San Francisco and back from Hong Kong. P&O agent thinks it will be a BA flight. When I checked prices on their website, the SF leg alone came out at well over £1000pp for economy with about an £800 increase for WTP. Our flight supplement is well under £1000 for the RETURN flights and transfers with P&O. Its very confusing .:(

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We would be flying to San Francisco and back from Hong Kong. P&O agent thinks it will be a BA flight. When I checked prices on their website, the SF leg alone came out at well over £1000pp for economy with about an £800 increase for WTP. Our flight supplement is well under £1000 for the RETURN flights and transfers with P&O. Its very confusing .:(

On the BA flight booking site, select multi-city. This is much much cheaper than selecting two one-way flights. We always book our own Traveller + tickets and they have always turned out cheaper than through the cruise line.

Not sure how far ahead you are booking but we have never paid anything like 1000pp to SF with BA even on WTP. It may be that P&O have made advance bookings with the airline for a certain number of seats and secured a cheaper price but I would check the flights on the BA web site carefully as if there were no WTP seats left they may have quoted you club on one of the legs.

Gemlea is also correct, make sure you use the multi city button as two flights will usually be quoted cheaper than 2x one ways.

Return flights not released yet as we are doing a WC sector which does not return from Hong Kong until 16 March 2015. We have paid for flights with P&O at £830 per person which seems to be far less than the prices shown on BA. I am just trying to ascertain if we get reduced upgrade prices if we go through P&O.

Return flights not released yet as we are doing a WC sector which does not return from Hong Kong until 16 March 2015. We have paid for flights with P&O at £830 per person which seems to be far less than the prices shown on BA. I am just trying to ascertain if we get reduced upgrade prices if we go through P&O.

On a 'mock' BA booking for World Traveller + flight London - SF : HK - London (returning a couple of weeks earlier than you need, but I wouldn't expect the prices to change much in the next couple of weeks) it was coming in at £1,191 pp. Personally, I would wait for one of BA's worldwide sales and see if you can save even more.;) P & O should know how much they charge pp for upgrading to Traveller +, so best to ring them and then do the maths.

I'm not sure whether all cruise lines operate the same way, but just be aware that some do not release a booking reference for your flight ticket until a couple of weeks before the flight. This precludes you from going on to the BA website and reserving your seats. All in all, we feel more in charge of our destiny by booking our flights when the price is right, and reserving our seats at the same time.

If I did my own flights, I would need to fly out at least a day early, entailing a hotel stay, in case the flight was cancelled, delayed etc. With P&O flights I assume they would have to get me to the ship whatever happened and our next port after SF is Honalulu!

If I did my own flights, I would need to fly out at least a day early, entailing a hotel stay, in case the flight was cancelled, delayed etc. With P&O flights I assume they would have to get me to the ship whatever happened and our next port after SF is Honalulu!

Yes, I would always advocate flying out at least the day before, and you are right that cruise line flights are the safer bet. But when the city you are flying to is San Francisco, it would be a shame if you just flew in then sailed straight out. I'd tighten my belt (considerably in my case !!) and have at least 2 nights in the city before embarkation. Of course, if you've been to SF before, then staying over might not be something you felt necessary.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide. The South Pacific Islands are on my bucket list.:D

Been to SF before so do not really want to spend extra time there. If I was going to do a hotel it would be in Hong Kong as never been there, but we are flying straight home :)

We did Hawaii and South Pacific on Aurora in 2013 on a WC leg from Southampton to Sydney and had a great time. That was for 45 days but we flew to Melbourne for a week after disembarkation and then had a stopover in Singapore on the way home. It was a great itinerary as is this one on the Arcadia WC next year. Again going through Hawaii and South Pacific but only repeating one port, Honalulu.

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

Recently flew back from Singapore on BA WTP after a large chunk of Arcadia's world cruise. I think we paid around £500 each for the upgrade. Well worth the money IMO for the extra comfort and space and the increased luggage allowance of two cases pp. As the cabin configuration was two, four, two we were able to pick our seats for a small fee and had two by a window which is great as you have them to yourselves and don't have to sit cheek by jowel with strangers for 13 hours lol!

Sandra

We are on a world cruise sector. We are flying Heathrow to SF then sailing through Pacific to Australia and on up the east coast and on through Indonesia, Phillipines and China and disembarking in Hong Kong to fly back to Heathrow. Only assuming BA at present as that is what the P&O agent thinks it will be.

Recently flew back from Singapore on BA WTP after a large chunk of Arcadia's world cruise. I think we paid around £500 each for the upgrade. Well worth the money IMO for the extra comfort and space and the increased luggage allowance of two cases pp. As the cabin configuration was two, four, two we were able to pick our seats for a small fee and had two by a window which is great as you have them to yourselves and don't have to sit cheek by jowel with strangers for 13 hours lol!

Sandra

We would be fine with that sort of price - waiting for flights to be released at the moment :)

Anyone have any idea of the approximate upgrade cost to World Traveller Plus on a long haul flight to San Francisco? Is it the same as if we booked on BA website?

Hi, we would definitely recommend that you book your flights direct; but beware, you will have to pay in full at the time of booking. The only 'advantage' of booking flights with P&O is that you will not have to pay until 3 months before departure date, but the upgrades are more expensive overall. Another thing is that airline prices vary tremendously, so take care when you book. I think there's some engine/app thingy that can search daily for you and tell you when is the best price, etc. Also, do not investigate prices as one-way trips; always use a multi-city search. One-way flights tend to be more expensive. Odd experience: my son was flying one-way to Orlando. The one-way economy flight cost in excess of £2,000 while the return flight was £600. Really. It was a no-brainer to book the return flight and leave the seat empty. Hope you get what you want.

I think people are not reading what you have said as I take it you have already booked the flights package with P&O so just want upgrade price. P&O can give you a price now I think and if not wait until you get your actual flight noticifaction.

We were on Arcadia 2014 World Sector with flight package and one way BA and other United. I could book our seats and upgrade myself on United's website but not BA's. For upgrade or extra luggage it said call them but you would need your booking reference which you will not get for a while yet.

Try asking P&O first and P&O flight package was perfect for us as you say any problems they have to get you to next port of call and we were flying in same day to Los Angeles and they told us they would have delayed the ship leaving if plane was delayed but we had no problems.

I think people are not reading what you have said as I take it you have already booked the flights package with P&O so just want upgrade price. P&O can give you a price now I think and if not wait until you get your actual flight noticifaction.

We were on Arcadia 2014 World Sector with flight package and one way BA and other United. I could book our seats and upgrade myself on United's website but not BA's. For upgrade or extra luggage it said call them but you would need your booking reference which you will not get for a while yet.

Try asking P&O first and P&O flight package was perfect for us as you say any problems they have to get you to next port of call and we were flying in same day to Los Angeles and they told us they would have delayed the ship leaving if plane was delayed but we had no problems.

You are correct. We have booked flights thru P&O - no problem with us doing that. No way we are going to constantly check web for best prices :) Its the upgrades I was trying to get a ball park figure for. Hopefully return flights will soon be released. We upgraded with United last year and seats were ideal although terrible airline but the upgrades were very reasonable.

Really - never knew that :). Just my luck we would have another airline coming back. Think we are going to put a case on in Southampton at start of cruise and then leave it on board when we get off in Hong Kong and collect it when the ship gets back to Southampton. We left one on last year.

Hi, we are just back off Arcadia world cruise segments.

We booked our flights through PO package via a TA.

We asked at the time for an approx amount to upgrade to world traveller plus with BA. we were quoted approx £280 each. One way. For this we got 46 kg of hold luggage each plus 23 kg of hand luggage although dimensions are restricted and provably 15kg is the max you would fit into the hand luggage size.

The seat is larger and the food better.

The flights are released around 10 months before departure date which is when our TA confirmed with P & O that we were booked on BA going to LA and they then confirmed the upgrade price which was virtually the same as quoted. We were flying back from Dubai so chose to fly Emirates direct to Manchester rather than BA via Heathrow. PO sorted all of this out for us including transfers from the airport to our hotel or port if you are flying the same day.

Our friends were on the same BA flight but in economy. They were only allowed one hold baggage each at 23 kg plus a hand luggage at 23 kg. they were overweight on hold luggage and were charged £40 for 4 kg. they were underweight in hand luggage but could not fit any more in.

One tip though if you do book world traveller plus keep badgering your TA to get the booking reference (locater number) for your flight as soon as you have paid your final balance. This enables you to book your seats If you want to sit together and have a window seat. The pax that have booked direct with BA get their reference number as soon as they book and pay for their seats so can pre book their seats early. There are not many seats in the WTP section.

Hope this helps.

Sue

Hi Sue

Just a couple of points. Any class of cabin entitles you to 2 hold cases per person at 23kg each regardless of cabin on routes between the UK and the USA only.

To pre book seats there is a charge from BA for doing this any time from booking until 24 hours before the aircraft's scheduled departure. At 24 hours seats can be reserved by anyone for free.

Yes the meals in WT+ are better. You get a Club World hot meal served in china, warm bread rolls served from a basket, metal cutlery, a glass glass for your wine (though the wine is still the economy quarter bottles) a Daily Mail and better headphones.

Hi Sue

Just a couple of points. Any class of cabin entitles you to 2 hold cases per person at 23kg each regardless of cabin on routes between the UK and the USA only.

To pre book seats there is a charge from BA for doing this any time from booking until 24 hours before the aircraft's scheduled departure. At 24 hours seats can be reserved by anyone for free.

Yes the meals in WT+ are better. You get a Club World hot meal served in china, warm bread rolls served from a basket, metal cutlery, a glass glass for your wine (though the wine is still the economy quarter bottles) a Daily Mail and better headphones.

Our friends were in economy and definitely only got 1 hold case at 23 kg plus 1 hand luggage and a handbag allowance.

For us worth booking the seats and paying as we wanted a window seat and an aid,e seat together. Very few of those on the plane we were on.

Sue