Ravello Restaurant Recommendations

CintiPam

In late May we will be taking the bus from Amalfi (where our ship will be anchored) to Ravello to spend our port day there. I am looking for your lunch recommendations in Ravello itself.

A few years ago on an Amalfi Coast tour we had an excellent lunch (on my birthday!) in Pontone at Trattoria L'Antico Borgo, but husband has a bad knee so we need to stay in Ravello itself for lunch because it is unlikely that we could get a taxi to and from Pontone.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Rick Steves recommends one: Ristorante Garden; anyone lunched there? How was it?

Thanks.

In late May we will be taking the bus from Amalfi (where our ship will be anchored) to Ravello to spend our port day there. I am looking for your lunch recommendations in Ravello itself.

A few years ago on an Amalfi Coast tour we had an excellent lunch (on my birthday!) in Pontone at Trattoria L'Antico Borgo, but husband has a bad knee so we need to stay in Ravello itself for lunch because it is unlikely that we could get a taxi to and from Pontone.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Rick Steves recommends one: Ristorante Garden; anyone lunched there? How was it?

Thanks.

It also depends on what time you get there. We did a private tour for Ravello, Positano and Amalfi. Unfortunately, Ravello was still asleep when we got there.....They lunch late in Italy--like 2pm. We have nver had a bad meal anywhere in Italy---google restaurants in Ravello---whatever you choose, I'm sure it will be ok....

There is one near certain thing about restaurants recommended in the Rick Steves books. If you go to one you will probably see most of the patrons with their own copy of the same book :). We happen to really like the Rick Steves guides (and often recommend them here on CC) but do have an issue with many of the restaurant/café recommendations. They might have been great places (and bargains) when the book was published, but being in that book does have an impact...and it is generally not good.

Ravello actually has quite a few very good restaurants with many of them being somewhat overpriced because "they can." On many visits we will simply walk around and look at various menus and just go wherever the menu, prices, and everything looks right! This method has served us well over the years. We also figure if a restaurant is empty there is usually a reason (generally not good).

But getting back to Ravello, there are lots of restaurant rating sites where you can read about various options. If price and time is not an issue we would suggest you real about Villa Maria (http://www.villamaria.it/). But be sure to bring plenty of Euros :).

Hank

Ravello actually has quite a few very good restaurants with many of them being somewhat overpriced because "they can." On many visits we will simply walk around and look at various menus and just go wherever the menu, prices, and everything looks right! This method has served us well over the years. We also figure if a restaurant is empty there is usually a reason (generally not good).

But getting back to Ravello, there are lots of restaurant rating sites where you can read about various options. If price and time is not an issue we would suggest you real about Villa Maria (http://www.villamaria.it/). But be sure to bring plenty of Euros :).

Hank

One big reason that "they can" is the glorious elevated views.

As on Hank's link to Villa Maria

JB :)

It also depends on what time you get there. We did a private tour for Ravello, Positano and Amalfi. Unfortunately, Ravello was still asleep when we got there.....They lunch late in Italy--like 2pm. We have nver had a bad meal anywhere in Italy---google restaurants in Ravello---whatever you choose, I'm sure it will be ok....

We are very slow sightseers, so will have no problem still being there at 2 PM for lunch! :)

There is one near certain thing about restaurants recommended in the Rick Steves books. If you go to one you will probably see most of the patrons with their own copy of the same book :). We happen to really like the Rick Steves guides (and often recommend them here on CC) but do have an issue with many of the restaurant/café recommendations. They might have been great places (and bargains) when the book was published, but being in that book does have an impact...and it is generally not good.

Hank

Thanks for responding, Hank. Would you direct me to a good restaurant rating site for Ravello? Also, about how many Euros for lunch at Villa Maria?? (More than $30 per person sans drinks?)

The Rick Steves books are great for sightseeing (practical transportation trips, walking tours and actual site tours), but not for hotels and restaurants IMO.

Edited by CintiPam