Passover on the Miracle 4/12/2014 sailing

gershonk

I do not understand why Carnival Customer Service and John Heald's blog would not respond to me about arranging a passover seder during the cruise. I even tried emailing the Maitr D with no response. Does anyone know how to breakthrough the Carnival barrier?

Carnival doesn't have a priest on boad of any faith and doesn't hold any type of church during the cruise if a passenger is on board they can lead a service pending they have the right paperwork proving they a are a minister. John heald is away from his blog while hes at home you can try him on Facebook but hes also away from that till after the 24th

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have a "shabbat in a box" that I bring on cruises. I guess if you are going on a Carnival cruise for passover, you aren't worried about chamentz, etc. so why not just bring your own?

You can order Kosher meals, they might be pesadik?

I sailed with a rabbi once (purely coincidental) & he was able to get Carnival to provide challah & (I think it was) grape juice though it might have been a bottle of manischewitz.

I've also sailed during chanukkah, they had a spread of latkes, challah, apple sauce & sour cream in the atrium (Gave the Gentiles a very weird taste of chanukkah) along with a Menorah.

This is apparently the only photo that I snapped.

5225037248_43ff18e57b.jpg

New Message by aviva_hadas (Amy), on Flickr

Edited by TheCalicoCat

Carnival doesn't have a priest on boad of any faith and doesn't hold any type of church during the cruise if a passenger is on board they can lead a service pending they have the right paperwork proving they a are a minister. John heald is away from his blog while hes at home you can try him on Facebook but hes also away from that till after the 24th

We do not need cleargy for a seder. I could lead such a Seder. We should have a seperate area so not to disturb other passengers and the basics of a seder plate. Although not kosher, a selection of foods appropriate for the holiday. I was on a Carnival Cruise some time ago and attended a passover meal that also included some executives. It was well done. I believe that through CC Roll Calls we could easily fill a tablke of ten or more.

Considering the Arisons and others of similar faith at Carnival executive positions, I am very surprised at the Carnival indeference to this request. They will probably charge a corkage fee for opening the Manishevitz Wiine.

We do not need cleargy for a seder. I could lead such a Seder. We should have a seperate area so not to disturb other passengers and the basics of a seder plate. Although not kosher, a selection of foods appropriate for the holiday. I was on a Carnival Cruise some time ago and attended a passover meal that also included some executives. It was well done. I believe that through CC Roll Calls we could easily fill a tablke of ten or more.

Considering the Arisons and others of similar faith at Carnival executive positions, I am very surprised at the Carnival indeference to this request. They will probably charge a corkage fee for opening the Manishevitz Wiine.

Furthering your thoughts....

Any Jew can lead the vast majority of Jewish life cycle and holiday services.

I know on HAL has seders some ships in the buffet.

Might want to contact special needs about this. Or the CD?After all they are in charge of the scheduling onboard.

OP-- Which Hagaddah are you planning to use? The Two Minute? Three Minute? Five Minute? 10 Minute? or the one traditional one that goes til midnight?

What about the food? Would they have to charge extra per head? It's a lot of xtra work for the staff

We don't cruise at Passover because we want to have our seder with our family and friends here at home.

It seems to me that if you choose to travel then you would either not care about the tradition or you would arrange your own celebration. I would not expect a cruise ship to do that for me unless I was part of a group cruise that took over the entire ship.

If you want to have a private party on the ship then you contact guest services and arrange it through them.

No one will stop you from doing that.

The problem is, if Carnival cannot cater to certain holidays., and regligions There are just too many. Because then it starts a firestorm, of sorts. Nowadays, there are SO many holidays, whether they be, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, etc.........they just cannot do it.

I have seen many threads on this, and I kind of understand where they are coming from.

If you have a rabbi, (if even necessary) I belive you said you can do this on your own, Carnival will give you the space for this occasion.

Good Luck!!!!!!:D:D

Just so everyone understands better, the seder is a family meal. Any family can conduct their own seder. There is a book that you read that has the prayers and the story of the Exodus from Egypt(in the old testament) that you retell every year. All that is needed from Carnival is a room . I don't think I'd ask them for special food but I'd bring my own if it was important to me.

We cruised the Magic last yr during Passover with our friends who are Jewish. They were provided a lounge area on the ship (free of charge) and it was in the fun times. My friends ended up leading it and said some of the foods were provided.

I would speak to guest services when you board and be prepared to do it yourself if needed.

We brought 10 "hagadahs" (books to be read during a Seder) last year on our Panama Canal cruise. We asked at the service desk about a room---they had to check with corporate. We were amazed at how (when given approval) they then bent over backwards to help out. They publicized it in the Funtimes, provided a room, had the chef (from India) learn -- or try to learn --- how to make all the foods necessary for the seder. They also had a Passover menu available at all meals for a week. Then the chef, cruise director, 6 officers, 4 waiters waited for guests to arrive in the piano bar. THEY GAVE THEIR ALL--when the Manishevitz wine ran low they raced out and got 2 more bottles. We didn't have the heart to let them know of a few mistakes (they had a Seder plate with 20 burned shankbones, 20 eggs, etc. for example). We all wrote to Carnival commending the staff. My 2 favorite memories are an Israeli couple finding the afikomen (dessert starter), and the nun (lady in the wheelchair) who attended to find out about it. If anyone is interested here is the cruise album. Feel free to skip to pictures 011B-011P (seder) and 012 S-T, Menu and food in the dining room.

PASSOVER BY CARNIVAL

We brought 10 "hagadahs" (books to be read during a Seder) last year on our Panama Canal cruise. We asked at the service desk about a room---they had to check with corporate. We were amazed at how (when given approval) they then bent over backwards to help out. They publicized it in the Funtimes, provided a room, had the chef (from India) learn -- or try to learn --- how to make all the foods necessary for the seder. They also had a Passover menu available at all meals for a week. Then the chef, cruise director, 6 officers, 4 waiters waited for guests to arrive in the piano bar. THEY GAVE THEIR ALL--when the Manishevitz wine ran low they raced out and got 2 more bottles. We didn't have the heart to let them know of a few mistakes (they had a Seder plate with 20 burned shankbones, 20 eggs, etc. for example). We all wrote to Carnival commending the staff. My 2 favorite memories are an Israeli couple finding the afikomen (dessert starter), and the nun (lady in the wheelchair) who attended to find out about it. If anyone is interested here is the cruise album. Feel free to skip to pictures 011B-011P (seder) and 012 S-T, Menu and food in the dining room.

PASSOVER BY CARNIVAL

How lovely, thank you for sharing.

PASSOVER BY CARNIVAL

So great! This is also what my friends experienced last yr on Magic.

PASSOVER BY CARNIVAL

Many thanks to chocolate melting cake, and MichelleChell. There is still hope to have a Passover Seder onboard.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be on the Splendor and will miss our seder. I'm Lutheran and our Pastor introduced it to us about 7 years ago. I enjoy the entire story. We end with ritual foot washing done by our Pastor. A very humble experience. I will look in our funtimes to see if someone will be hosting it.