kids eating dinner with other kids

Yes but your comment was not apropos what the OP asked. They don't take the kids to the specialty restaurants to which you were referring, which you could have educated yourself to before you made a post, or else you could have just not posted on a topic on which you were not informed.

Instead, it seemed just another chance to make a negative comment regarding kids.

No, there is no charge for the kids when they eat at Johnny Rockets with the AO staff. I dont think they can get milkshakes... they would have to have their card for that... But they do get their meal and a soft drink.

Well, 'persecute' is a bit of a strong word, considering the circumstances. But I do think people should be called on their posts, when they are inserting their own negativity on one subject in a post that is really about something else, just to have a bully pulpit.

Here is the first line of the OP's post, which is a direct quote from RCI "On selected nights, our youth staff hosts dinners in our specialty restaurants. It's a great opportunity for kids to eat with other kids and for parents to enjoy a meal alone."

So I'm still wondering why you would insert something about kids not being allowed at the specialty restaurants. In this case, it's pretty obvious that they don't mean Portofino's or Chops. And if it's a quote from RCI, inviting kids to participate, it's no one else's role to say that kids aren't allowed.

Nota bene: My kids are older now, but when they were younger they did not go to Portofino's (or the Solarium or hot tubs or spa) where they were not allowed.

I believe she said "specialty restaurants", not Johnny Rockets. That's what I was referring to. Why persecute me? She did not say Johnny Rockets, which of course I don't refer to as a specialty restaurant, since I'm not a kid and don't think it's special.

Plenty of adults think it is special, too (but then they like McDonalds as well). Anyway, I do consider it a specialty restaurant these days, since they charge to eat there. Not to mention that it was a quote from the website.

I know my kids (14 and 18, especially the 14 who is more of a foodie) will want to eat with us in the dining room because of the food choices.

It is very unlikely that your 11 year old will be able to move up to the 12-14 age group -- there is a huge difference in the format/freedoms of the 9-11 program and that the of 12-14 program (which is considered a "teen" group). While you can request this change, don't let it ruin your vacation if you are told "no."

And, as others have noted, you cannot lie about age. The Adventure Ocean program has a printout of each child's name and age prior to you even getting on board...when my daughter was in the 12-14 group on Navigator last Thanksgiving they even used this list and SeaPass cards to "card" the 12-14 year olds who were trying to get into the 15-17 year old disco party.

Likewise, I noticed that your children are 11 and 15 -- even if your youngest is able to move up to the 12-14 group they will still be separated in most activites from their older sibling who willl be in the 15-17 group - and, for example, their nights to dine in the Windjammer with the teen program will not be the same.

As for meals with the teen staff, the teen groups typically have 2 or 3 opportunities to eat together in the Windjammer -- typically they meet with a counselor in the teen area, then go off to dinner in the Windjammer unsupervised.

We've had 2 different experiences on Voyager class ships for the younger age groups. 3-5 year olds always have their Adventure Ocean dinners in Johnny Rockets. For 6-8, the meals have been offered in Johnny Rockets on 2 of our cruises, but on the more crowded Thanksgiving sailing all of Johnny Rockets was dedicated to the 3-5 year olds and the 6-8 year olds were supervised in the Windjammer. The only RCCL age group we haven't been exposed to is the 9-11 group, so I'm not sure of their dining arrangements.

In all cases, dining with the Adventure Ocean staff was available to the younger children on both formal nights plus 1 or 2 other nights. For the teens, only 1 of the formal nights offered an alternative dining option.

Also, whenever the ship was in port the Adventure Ocean staff took the children (in the 9-11 age group and younger) to lunch in the Cafe Promenade (pizza only) and later in the afternoon they'd go for ice cream in the Windjammer. At least once when there was a 7am Port call with early excursions I also saw "breakfast bunch" on the 6-8 year old group's itinerary.

Paga, thank you very, very much for all this valuable information. I recognize that there are more leniencies with the 12-14 group compared to the 9-11 group and that's one of the reasons i WANT my child moved. I feel he's responsible enough to handle this situation appropriately. I will do as so many suggested and not try to get away with lying about his age and getting caught.

I didn't think they would at any time allow the 12-14 hang out with the 15-17 group, nor do i want them to. I want my two very different children to have their own experiences and make their own friends.:)

I'm certainly not going to let it "ruin" my vacation if they don't switch him, i just hope it doesn't "ruin" HIS vacation. I also would rather have some space on sea days and if he feels "old" for his group, he's likely to want to hang out with me. since i have plenty planned for port days, i was sort of hoping he'd have plenty of friends on sea days!;)

Thanks to everyone for all of their thoughts, suggestions and mostly for the heads up on my considering lying. i won't be doing that!:eek:

My son was 11 when we cruised; I gave him no option to eat dinner anywhere other than with me. We ate in the dining room every night except one (did JR's and loved it) and he went to AO right after dinner (changing clothes first of course!). He initially had no desire to do AO, as he is a pretty mature kid, and really did want to spend the time with me checking out the ship. However, since I needed at least a couple of nights at the gym, I asked him to try it just for me. Well, that was all she wrote - he LOVED it. He even asked if we could cruise again before he turned 12 - he did NOT want to go with the older group - his group had way more fun. I was really happy that he enjoyed it so much; I had felt bad leaving him there when he did not want to go. As for dinner, he has already told me that he wants to rent a white dinner tux next time - he LOVED eating in the dining room - especially formal nights!! Go figure!:p

dear happy,

maybe you've misunderstood me. i've already bought a tux for my son and he'll eat with us most nights, but i want to be able to offer him (and her) the OPTION of eating with his new found friends one or two nights.

we have late dinner seating and therefore it's not likely that he'll be allowed to go hang with his friends for very long after dinner, if at all. (i doubt we'll be done with dinner before 10 or 10:30.)

you could very well be right, maybe he'll have a blast with the kids who're 9-11. We'll see.

Thanks for your thoughts, though.

Archived