Will gay cruisers feel uncomfortable on non-gay cruise

Orcrone

My brother and his partner have always sailed on gay cruises. After their last cruise they talked about toying with the idea of going on a regular cruise. My wife and I are cruising with Holland America this fall, and are trying to convince them to join us, but they're a bit apprehensive.

I wanted to get feedback, both positive and negative, from anyone who has cruised with their partners on non-gay cruises.

I've taken nothing BUT non-gay cruises, and I've really never felt that uncomfortable. When you go with a higher-end product such as Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, etc., I think you will find other passengers to be well-traveled, well-heeled and open minded folks.

Occasionally you might get an odd look here or there, but frankly the vast majority of people I've met on cruise ships tend to be socially liberal or moderate and not from the Bible-thumping crowd :-)

ALSO -- remind your brother that there are plenty of other gay passengers aboard a normal "straight" cruise. On my experience aboard Galaxy in March of this year, my partner and I met personally about ten other gay passengers and two other couples that we became very good friends with.

I think he'll have a perfectly fine time :-)

Gary Kulash

www.badelephant.com

Carnival Holiday 8/02

NCL Majesty 1/03

NCL Norway 5/25/03

NCL Sea 7/03

Celebrity Galaxy 3/04

Celebrity Mercury 10/04

marc....not only what gary said, but you should ask the cruise director or staff to hold an "fod" party, usually first sea day. then you probably will meet other family aboard and enhance your experience. and of course fine-tune your gaydar! are they friendly? we got married in vancouver, then went on cruise to alaska. ship knew of the wedding, had balloons on door of cabin and in our cabin saying "just married," bottle of champagne in cabin, congratulations on a note from the captain ...etc. etc., so we don't think you have to worry too much (that was dawn princess, and they're known for being very gay-friendly). so go and enjoy. mike and jon

For 30 of the 40 years my partner and I have been together, we have cruised all over the world

on non-gay cruises (30+) and never had a negative experience on a straight cruise. We have

always met other gay/les folks on all of those cruises......remember, 1 out of 10 passengers will

most likely be gay. Sometimes we hang with them and sometimes we don't.......just depends if we

like them. We are very secure people about our gayness and are not worried what other people

think about us, and we really never had a negative encouter with any straights anyway. I think

the answer is in how secure you are within yourself. NOTHING, but NOTHING, should stop anyone

from having a FABULOUS time on a cruise, no matter what the situation is. Go for it guys!

Jerry & Kirk

icon_cool.gifHi,

My partner and I have been on several cruisses in past 5 years. We have traveled with several cruise companies and only on one cruise did we have a little problem with dinner mates.

They were 2 younger couple and only came to dinner a couple of time.

Have meet many wonderful people and have enjoyed every cruise. We have never done a HAL cruise but have even done upscale small ship in Europe with 132 passengers all suites. We were close to the youngest on cruise and really enjjoyed it. Everyone was so nice. It maybe easier for women I am not sure. Going in a couple weeks on Celebrity.

Enjoy your cruise and tell brother to give it a try. Any cruise is a great place to be.

Carnival Triump 10/1999

Reniassance R7 9/2000

MSC Melody 4/2001

Carnival Paradise 8/2001

Celebrity Sumit 4/2004

We have sailed on a dozen cruises--from a schooner cruise off the coast of Maine with fewer than 30 passengers to the 2,600+ passenger Grand-class Princess ships.

While we've never had a bad cruise, I think our latest ones on Princess and Celebrity have been among our best. We haven't been on HAL yet. We would go on Royal Caribbean again but probably not on Carnival or NCL again.

On some cruises, we've socialized with other gay and lesbian passengers. On all cruises, we've made good friends with straight passengers. You brother and his partner will have a head start with you onboard.

I'm sure that not all the other passengers figured out our relationship. Some probably thought we were brothers or cousins. (And at least one thought I was my partner's son. He would had to have been a very precocious 6-year-old.)

I have been on gay and straight cruises and much prefer the straight cruise. Maybe because I am past my prime party age (37). I had a good time on the gay cruise but its party party party..primp to look hot all the time..so much pressure. I can do that any weekend at the bars at home. Now the straight cruise..so much more laid back and relaxed. I have not had any problem yet with fellow cruisers and always meet gay freinds on board to socialize with.

Michael

Soverign of the Seas Nov 99

Majesty of the Seas Apr 00, Nov OO

Enchangement of the Seas Sep 00, Oct 02

Rhaposdy of the Seas Jun 01

Elation Oct 01

Zuiderdam Apr 03

Radiance of the Seas Jun 03

Voyager Nov 03

Mariner Apr 04

I've only taken regular cruises and have never had a problem. The other passengers and staff have always been very friendly and there have always been other gays on board among the passengers but even if there weren't most straight people are pretty accepting anymore or at least they held they're displeasure in check for seven days and did not make an issue of it.

Always the Question

No best answer but those posted are good.

I post here every few months for us "PFLAG"

folks and if someone does not know: Parents, Family, Friends of Gays and Lesbians"...

Last month and later this year: our group

linked up with a few "FOD's" and well we have maintained our good times and friendships.

OK, I chickened out in Key West at some of the clubs :-)

Now eveyone knows that parents, brothers and sisters are on board but so are those who

one has to just not think about.

We are family.

But I'd always like to know if someone is on board.

Need a better PLAG and Gay link for cruises.

Sandbar

After some 50+ cruises, we have had a great time with the straights. Even more fun when you meet up with other family.

Had a big problem on a Carnival ship that was very dangerous, so we do not travel that line.

We had PC dining on Princess which was a good thing one evening, so we could avoid a particular couple who labeled us queer.

Had one old military guy stalk me on Celebrity trying to get the earring off me. I do not wear jewelry anymore as I have a Macaw that removes anything shiny. When SCUBA diving, bright shiny things will attract undesirable marine life who do not care whether you are gay or not.

John

Sounds like everyone has had mainly positive experiences except for starsjohn. I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. I have to wonder about the military guy on Celebrity. Lots of men, straight & gay wear earrings these days. I also SCUBA dive, so I know what you're saying about shiny things. Hate to have a barracuda staring at you too intently.

Now I just have to convince my brother and his partner to go. They're no longer nervous about a straight cruise. They just did a lot of travel this winter and can't think of more travel right now (rough life) icon_biggrin.gif. I'll bring the issue up with them after they've been home a few more weeks.

Well I had my first cruise last November with RCCL and went with my friend and his (gay)partner. It being a "straight" cruise I didn't think I'd meet anyone else gay but I ended up knocking about with 3 American guys who were great fun (especially on the skinny dippin' session after the formal night). Then of course you've got your "gay" duties, servicing the straight husbands in the sauna while their wives get their treatments in the beauty salon. lol.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;04;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Days to go till my cruise on the Jewel of the Seas

My partner and I have been on 17 cruises since we met in 1995, all on "straight" cruises and we have met some incredible people, both straight and gay, along the way. My partner has been on 20 in total.

We have thankfully never had a bad experience on any of them. Our last cruise last month on Carnival Victory was especially cool. I swear that we had a sign above out heads that said "We're Gay" as we were asked by straight couples, on several occassions "How long have you been together?" I had no problem answering them. I'd say 9 1/2 years and they said that's wonderful! They were all very supportive or maybe it was the booze from the repeaters party talking? :-).

We have also made some wonderful and very close friendships with women from the U.K., Michigan and other places, who we cruise with every year. Not to mention the gay couples we've met also.

That's our personal experience and it's been positive so far.

Best of luck

Paul

Sovereign Of The Seas 5/95

Celebration 2/96

Norway 11/96 11/97 10/98 10/99

Norway 10/00 03/02 02/03

Imagination 2/97 3/99

Sensation 3/00

Nordic Empress 6/01 9/03

Carnival Spirit 11/01

Carnival Pride 11/02

Carnival Conquest 11/04

Carnival Victory 3/04

My partner and I have sailed on cruises with Royal Caribbean, HAL, Princess and Celebrity and have never had any problems or felt uncomfortable in any way.

I find that most people when travelling are receptive to meeting others from many walks of life and tend to have a "live and let live" attitude.

We've made several friends, both straight and gay, from our various cruise travels.

Dave

http://community.webshots.com/user/davemaclean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Volendam Cruise - Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Radiance Cruise - Vancouver to Hawaii

• 8 months later...
I think it is more a matter of non-gay cruisers having more fun when a few gay cruisers are mixed in to the mix. Smile!

Mitch Starling

Having been on a cruise with Mitch and Jodie, we totally agree having had a great time and would love to meet up again in the future.

David & Lynn

My partner of 23 years and I have never encountered any problems on "non gay" cruises. Only time we had an "if" was on NCL during an Alaska cruise-got to the cabin, beds apart, so in my usual fashion of re-arranging furniture to suit our needs I pushed the beds together. As I was putting on the pillows our cabin attendent knocked and saw what I had done. He apologized for it, not understanding the request ( 2 men, etc.etc.) and accepted us as a couple the entire week. Needless to say, he was well overtipped.

Tell him not to be worried---"we" are accepted on most cruise lines.

FYI, FOD's are everywhere----first hand experience, crew, Regal Princess, Alaska ;)

FYI, FOD's are everywhere----first hand experience, crew...

Agreed. My partner and I have spent hours upon hours becoming great friends with gay officers, gay entertainment staff, gay art auctioneers, gay retail staff...the list goes on and on. Frankly, it's the same throughout the entire hospitality industry. Gay folks just seem drawn to particular lines of work.

I work in the field of real estate, and half the male coworkers I meet are gay.

My partner and I (30's) have only taken "straight" cruises and have met some WONDERFUL straight and gay couples/singles on board. We have taken two cruises with friends we met on-board from Amsterdam and have kept in touch via email with others along the way.

The "good time" atmosphere on-board certainly helps. I think most of the "sin sniffers" find other vacations to take, or at minimum keep busy with other endeavors while on the ship. We had a group of 12 gay men at one large dining table on HAL...was hilarious to watch everyone figure out what the story was. For the less enlightened we made up a story that we were marrying off our brother "Jeb" and this was his bachelor party. Others, (namely fun married women) would seek us out to join us for fun times. As one fun, hip lady from Chicago said "once I saw you boys on formal night, I had you pegged...straight men just don't clean up that nicely".

Focus on the fun energetic people who want to be around you and you won't have to worry about the rest! Have a great time!

Archived