Machu Picchu-new rules coming for visitors

Coolcruise02

I admit that it's probably best for the preservation of the ruins but we have a tendency to go off in different directions to look for that special photo. Being herded together as a group and forcing limits on our time at each site will not be conducive. I often will backtrack somewhere to take a picture of the same site from a different angle or if the clouds clear up. I should applaud the actions of the preservation committee but cannot help myself by saying "bummer". We're heading there during the 3rd week in May, the regulations are likely to be in place by then.

• 2 weeks later...

How strenuous was it at Machu Picchu? I have not seen a review that mentions the trails and how tall the steps are. They look so tall, I am short worried if I could do it? Any feedback would be wonderful.

I admit that it's probably best for the preservation of the ruins but we have a tendency to go off in different directions to look for that special photo. Being herded together as a group and forcing limits on our time at each site will not be conducive. I often will backtrack somewhere to take a picture of the same site from a different angle or if the clouds clear up. I should applaud the actions of the preservation committee but cannot help myself by saying "bummer". We're heading there during the 3rd week in May, the regulations are likely to be in place by then.

We really want to go there also. How strenuous do you think it is on the trails and the steps. The steps worry me the most. I am short, with short legs, the step look huge?

If you're referring about the walk once you go past the entrance gate, you first have a short 100 yard hike slight downhill incline to a viewing area where most people take the "National Geographic" photo of Machu Picchu. Then you are walking through the ruins itself up steps and then down depending on where you want to go. I lost about 5 pounds.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wish I had lost 5 pounds. :p

I did not think it was very strenuous, rather slow going due to the high number of people everywhere. Most steps are regular size. My neighbor was worried since she cannot walk and stand around for a long time. 1 hour maximum. She brought a foldable cane and said she was just fine.