What next?

AFuncruiser

I note that Princess Cruises (Carnival) doubles admission fee for the adult-only deck.

Interesting as I predict in the near future cruise ships are going to give you a cabin for free and than nickel & dime you to death.... Currently the MSC cruise line is the most advanced at the nickel & dime game in the industry.

Where will the next charges come from what is the next thing we are going to have to pay for? Entertainment, anything at breakfast beyond a continual breakfast, room service for sure, surcharges for the Captain & operating staff's services, hot tub fees, a charge for towel and bedding changes, lunch / meals in the dining room, priority everything, lounge chairs, poolside table, entry fees for most all activities, library use, club chairs, smoking room, entrance to the outside promenade deck.

Where will it end?

Interested in your thoughts

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

560 days at sea

50 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

I saw this a long time ago, we have been cruising a very long time, when they started charging for the supper club, then the fancy coffee and treats, you could see what direction it was going, used to get awesome food and desserts in the dinning room, I remember when soda was free with your meal, and the assistant waiter would ask the wife if she wanted the meat out of the lobster tail. But as ships got bigger and they needed to open up to bigger numbers, either they would have priced themselves out of the market, or cut back on what they could, they are there to turn a profit. Other lines still have these amenities if you want to pay the cost up front in the fare. The choice remains with the consumer.

Instead of charging for certain things onboard, maybe they should just double or triple the price of the cruise itself so everything onboard is no charge whether you use it or not? There are many people who go on a cruise and don't spend any money outside of gratuities because they don't partake in any of the things that have an up charge. You have a choice to partake or skip anything with an up charge by the way. Adding optional services that have an added charge is one way of combatting inflation without raising the total cost of the cruise itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Mrs CruisinCritter

And it works evidently. The new cruisers do not have a clue as to what "use" to be included.

Princess did double the price of the Sanctuary but guess what...it is still sold out every cruise.

For me, it is a matter of choice. There is no way I would go to the Sanctuary and pay $40 per day for a lounge chair, but a lot of people do evidently.

Personally, we do not pay for a lot of extras such as specialty dining, Sanctuary, Thrill movie theater, FTTF, etc.

I note that Princess Cruises (Carnival) doubles admission fee for the adult-only deck.

Interesting as I predict in the near future cruise ships are going to give you a cabin for free and than nickel & dime you to death.... Currently the MSC cruise line is the most advanced at the nickel & dime game in the industry.

Where will the next charges come from what is the next thing we are going to have to pay for? Entertainment, anything at breakfast beyond a continual breakfast, room service for sure, surcharges for the Captain & operating staff's services, hot tub fees, a charge for towel and bedding changes, lunch / meals in the dining room, priority everything, lounge chairs, poolside table, entry fees for most all activities, library use, club chairs, smoking room, entrance to the outside promenade deck.

Where will it end?

Interested in your thoughts

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

560 days at sea

50 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

My thoughts are so what if they nickel and dime you. What you opt to pay for keeps the prices down. I certainly won't pay for an all inclusive just because it makes you feel like that option is free.

If you go to the mall, it's free, then you choose what store you want to go in and spend your money.

You say MSC is the master of nickel and diming, but from what I see, especially with Divina is some spectacularly low prices for the "basics" on a huge brand new ship.

Adding optional services that have an added charge is one way of combatting inflation without raising the total cost of the cruise itself.

You're not getting what the OP is talking about. He's not commenting on new optional services with a charge. He's talking about things that used to be included in your fare, for which you are now being charged.

I, personally, think it's a good idea to keep the only the basic cruise amenities (food, room, shows) included in the fare for some cruise lines. I think there should be all inclusive lines that charge you for everything, whether you make use of it or not, upfront. It will be the type of service and experience that an upscale cruiser would appreciate. Then there should be "pay to play" style cruising for people who don't want, need, expect the same experience. They can have some good, but not 5 star food. Good but not 5 star accommodations. The option to participate in some free, but lower quality experiences or to pay a little more for some upgraded experiences.

You're not getting what the OP is talking about. He's not commenting on new optional services with a charge. He's talking about things that used to be included in your fare, for which you are now being charged.

What on his list has changed? What on the list are we being charged:confused:

I am guessing by the naïve nature of your question you are a relative new cruiser and or can't remember the "good old days".

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

560 days at sea

50 cruises

12 cruise lines

I am guessing by the naïve nature of your question you are a relative new cruiser and or can't remember the "good old days".

I'm looking forward to Ruthless Boss's response to this one!!!

OP, did you by chance check how long he's been a part of CC and how many posts he has? You've obviously never read any of Ruthless Boss's posts here- he remembers 'the good old days' very well and definitely isn't naïve!!!

Edited by Shaded Lady

I'm looking forward to Ruthless Boss's response to this one!!!

OP, did you by chance check how long he's been a part of CC and how many posts he has? You've obviously never read any of Ruthless Boss's posts here- he remembers 'the good old days' very well and definitely isn't naïve!!!

Smile...:)

Granted I've only been cruising since 2000 so I'm not sure how far back the good old days extend. From my point of view with the 4 cruise lines I've tried most of the optional charges seem to be from things that didn't exist on the older ships.

I do agree that the on the mass market lines the move has been toward a more casual atmosphere. That to some equates to less service at the same to higher cost.

The "good old days" when cruises in the 80s were 3 grand and only the wealthy could partake?

What is your problem? I pointed out that a person was not responding to what the OP was talking about. Nowhere did I say that I agreed or disagreed with the OP. And for the record apparently, Princess is charging double for access to the adult area. I don't know if this is true or not, nor do I care, as I don't plan on using it.

Extra charges for extras is one thing but I don't think its asking too much to put table cloths on the MDR tables when they have a dress code. Tablecloths are a "used to be". Guess we'll have paper placemats and paper napkins. Oh and plastic forks and knives would save too.

Instead of charging for certain things onboard, maybe they should just double or triple the price of the cruise itself so everything onboard is no charge whether you use it or not? There are many people who go on a cruise and don't spend any money outside of gratuities because they don't partake in any of the things that have an up charge. You have a choice to partake or skip anything with an up charge by the way. Adding optional services that have an added charge is one way of combatting inflation without raising the total cost of the cruise itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto