Price Increase when booking transferred to TA

So, I bit the bullet and transferred my booking to a TA. It took 9 days from the day I sent the fax in for the transfer to happen. Final payment is due, so I paid off the balance. TA sends me the receipt, and it is $100 higher than the price I booked at. They also bumped me out of the late seating, stuck me in early seating with late wait-listed. This was not the TA's doing; the info he had came straight from RCCL.

What is wrong with Royal Caribbean? Why is this so difficult? I have my original confirmation with the correct price and late seating confirmed, so I am confident it will all work out, but am yet again disappointed with the inner-workings of Royal Caribbean.

Anyone else have random changes made to their booking when transferring to a TA?

It might be something in royal's computers. I just transferred my reservation to my TA and she had me call RCI for an invoice before she took over the booking just in case (I think she mentioned there was some issue, but she got it resolved). From reading on here it sounds like a lot of things can cause the invoices to change (when they shouldn't be), as long as you have your original invoice (correct price and dining time) I assume you and your TA should have some leveraging power to get it corrected.

Is it the same booking number?

The only thing I can think of is if the TA is holding a group there may be specific restrictions on that group. Otherwise, to transfer it they literally just change a single number in cruise so there would be no reason to change any of that.

Actually - sorry but it would be the "TAs doing"

When transfers are made - the paper that you sign to go from direct to royal to a TA is a simple "in the computer process."

Your booking number does not change. Your dining does not change. Your booking is simply SLID from "royal direct" to your TA so that your TA can *see it* in cruising power.

I can tell you that your TA must have called royal and cancelled your old booking and rebooked you - causing the new price to take effect and for you to lose your old dining.

Believe me - I know how the process works. Get your TA to fix this.

First, taking 9 days is silly...normally it only takes a couple, lately a couple HOURS...

Second, nothing should have changed, as cruisinmama06 said..your TA needs to fix it.

After Royal's crack IT department 'upgraded' the system, phantom changes were happening to reservations....so that *might* explain the extra charges; however, your dining would NOT have changed unless the agent did something.

A simple transfer to a TA will not foul up ANYTHING on the ressie....

If you have your confirm from Royal, they will fix it. If the TA refuses, or says..."well, that's how it is, so too bad.." then call Royal yourself..tell them your TA REFUSES to help you, that THEY made an error and that YOU can PROVE IT. Even after transfer, in extreme circumstances, they will talk to the client. (Believe me, when my old agent fouled up, and I could prove it, Royal talked to me and fixed it in less than 5 minutes...)

Good luck...

Edited by megr1125

And actually - C&A told me that recently they were taking "2 weeks" when they used to be hours. They said 2 weeks ago there was a backlog. So it's not unheard of.

What's unheard of - the changes to dining and price increase. That's a huge NO.

Get your old confirmation and don't take No for an answer. Once your price is locked in - it's locked in. As is your dining. Someone released it - find out who.

Actually - sorry but it would be the "TAs doing"

When transfers are made - the paper that you sign to go from direct to royal to a TA is a simple "in the computer process."

Your booking number does not change. Your dining does not change. Your booking is simply SLID from "royal direct" to your TA so that your TA can *see it* in cruising power.

I can tell you that your TA must have called royal and cancelled your old booking and rebooked you - causing the new price to take effect and for you to lose your old dining.

Believe me - I know how the process works. Get your TA to fix this.

Crusinmama06,

The process you describe is NOTHING like what I experienced!

First off, the booking number did change. I don't know why. As for taking 9 days, I called rccl 4 times during those 9 days. Waited on hold for close to an hour each time, due to the promo they are having now. The agents told me the process now takes 7-10 days. It used to be faster, but they changed their process. First, it gets received, then reviewed, then placed on someone's desk to actually execute the transfer. Each of the 4 agents told me the same thing, it sounds insane to me.

My ta could not have rebooked me, as (1) The current price for my sailing is $600 more per person than I booked. The total increase after the transfer was $100. (2) I had a $200 OBC on my original booking, which did carry over. I have been with this ta for over 10 years. There is no way he would start messing around like this.

WOW....you sure got messed up!!

I can see the transfer taking a while, but within the last week, there was a transfer made, and it literally happened within the same 24 hours...that said, I can see that it could take a while...

Not sure WHY your booking number changed - no reason that it did...

Sounds like you're going to need some coffee and aspirin.....hope it gets sorted out...

Booking numbers never change! Ever. You were put into an agency group then. I am telling you and Meg will tell you - with transfers - the one thing remains constant - the booking numbers. That's how they track you. If your booking number changed then someone REbooked you. And that's where your problem is.

I'm sure sorry you are going through this! I have some mix ups with a transfer right now, too, and I hate having to worry about my vacation!

I have always (always!!) booked directly through RCCL and had complete control over my reservation. I hate that they won't talk to me, and that I don't trust my TA. I did my homework before transferring, and I do believe he's legit, but I'm just so sorry that I have to hope that all is well!

I wish you good luck in getting this issue resolved. My fingers are crossed.......for both of us!

Booking numbers never change! Ever. You were put into an agency group then. I am telling you and Meg will tell you - with transfers - the one thing remains constant - the booking numbers. That's how they track you. If your booking number changed then someone REbooked you. And that's where your problem is.

Maybe it is different because I booked in Canadian dollars? My ta is Canadian and everything stayed in Canadian dollars, but perhaps that is why the booking number changed? I can't see my ta having a group booking on this ship. It is in the Med and only half full.

Yes changing us to Canada changes booking number withOUT re-booking. (I book in u.s. $ but use a Canadian ta, and whenever I transfer a booking to her the number changes, even though I am still paying in $usd)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

That's kind of a pain in the bottom.....

That's kind of a pain in the bottom.....

Ugh - yes I totally agree!

We never have to deal with that garbage in the US. It would make it very hard to track reservations if they were randomly changing numbers. I am sorry they are doing that to you.

Let us know what the outcome is and WHY the prices and dining changed. Today shouldn't be so busy. I would call them today and demand it be changed back.

I'm confused. If a person is booked and already paid for, why then transfer to a TA? What am I missing (besides my mind...)?

First, there are certain times when you can transfer to a TA (like w/in 60 days of booking and BEFORE final payment, so if you've paid in full, you can't transfer)

Second many transfer to TAs because they can get "perks" like OBC, pre paid tips, etc..

Third, and most important is that you have someone to help plan your trip and to assist if there's an issue...it's the service that Travel Agents provide...

That's it in a nutshell...

Edited by megr1125

Maybe it is different because I booked in Canadian dollars? My ta is Canadian and everything stayed in Canadian dollars, but perhaps that is why the booking number changed? I can't see my ta having a group booking on this ship. It is in the Med and only half full.

No, no different.. As long as your original booking was in Cdn and when you re-assigned to your agent, he didn't change it to US for some reason,, there is absolutely no reason to change the booking number. And if he did move you into a group, the group number will be on your invoice from RCL. Did you have him send you a copy of the RCL invoice?

Yes changing us to Canada changes booking number withOUT re-booking. (I book in u.s. $ but use a Canadian ta, and whenever I transfer a booking to her the number changes, even though I am still paying in $usd)

Well, it shouldn't. I would certainly being asking why that is.

Crusinmama06,

First off, the booking number did change. I don't know why. As for taking 9 days, I called rccl 4 times during those 9 days. Waited on hold for close to an hour each time, due to the promo they are having now. The agents told me the process now takes 7-10 days. It used to be faster, but they changed their process. First, it gets received, then reviewed, then placed on someone's desk to actually execute the transfer. Each of the 4 agents told me the same thing, it sounds insane to me.

My ta could not have rebooked me, as (1) The current price for my sailing is $600 more per person than I booked. The total increase after the transfer was $100. (2) I had a $200 OBC on my original booking, which did carry over. I have been with this ta for over 10 years. There is no way he would start messing around like this.

Your TA rebooked you. I can promise you that. The only way your booking number could have possibly changed is if your TA rebooked you. If you call Royal right now and give them the original booking number, they will tell you it was cancelled.

The reason you aren't $600 more (current pricing) is because your TA is holding group space at a lower price. So you got their price but their price is higher than your original price. Royal will not, at this point, adjust your rate because it was your TA that screwed up. You need to make your TA eat that fare difference.

And that has always been the process, I just hear it is taking longer than usual due to the time of year and the other changes occurring. Its always been just one person that processes these changes.

No, it doesn't You are still being rebooked if the booking number changes. But this is expected when you switch because your Canadian TA can accept Canadian dollars (even if you pay in US $) their system requires it to be rebooked but keeps your original fare.

Edited by cruisnseas

Can I ask the other obvious question here? If you have used this TA for 10 years, why did you decide to book directly with RCCL? If you booked on board (next cruise) and the cruise you were on was booked by that TA, it would have gone to that TA, else you could also state you want it to go to your TA and give their information.

I'm not sure why someone who was loyal to a TA for 10 years would all of a sudden book direct with the line.

My views are the same as others on here. Your TA messed this up - not RCCL. You need to determine why the original booking number was canceled (was it purely the USD to Cdn thing - or something more) and start to piece together what happened.

Also - you mentioned you doubted that you were pulled into a group - why do you doubt that? A group is protected on RCCL down to 1 cabin, so you could be the only cabin in your "group" that your TA is using to secure you OBC or some other perk. Never make assumptions in this department. Your invoice will state if you're in a group as there will be a group number and an individual res number (if your TA provides you with the invoice they can get from their booking system through RCCL).

Hope this helps.

Crusinmama06,

First off, the booking number did change.

If the booking number changed then you were rebooked. There would be no reason transfer and wait 9 days if the booking number were going to change.

My guess is the $100 is an agency booking fee. Many agencies charge it but never tell customers about it until either 1.) a customer notices a price difference or 2.) after the booking is complete.

None of this sounds like RCL's doing.

For all you defenders of RCL, no, RCL changes booking numbers when transferring a booking from a U.S. client to a Canadian TA and vise versa. I have had it happen in at least 2 instances where it was done by RCL and the only way I found out and knew the bookings had actually been transferred to me was in cruisingpower.

Please - back your info up and stop just blaming the TA because of your personal animosity towards TA's.

Please - back your info up and stop just blaming the TA because of your personal animosity towards TA's.

I might be wrong but I believe crusinseas worked for Royal and still has contacts there.