Posted to another board - decided to share

Capt_BJ

a too funny story - it is true, believe it or not.

Our first DCL trip was in the first year of operation of the MAGIC - a Christmas present for the family. I was anxiously awaiting the package of documents, and when they arrived spousal unit and I devoured everything. To our dismay our family of 4 was assigned a cabin which the book said was a 3 person cabin confused24.gif

So quickly I dialed away and got the DCL folks on the line. "Not to worry" I was told. All the cabins of that category sleep 4 but if they were all full there wouldn't be enough life boats so they printed the book like that to satisfy the Coast Guard. tongue.gif I swear - this is what I was told.

Nearly in shock I hung up, and lo...we went and the room did sleep 4 having the sofa bed and the pull down. And I've had a similar room every time since and despite there sometimes being 3 and other times 4 of us, every room had the pull down and the sofa.

But wait - there's more.hourglass.gif

We had the wonderful opportunity to be invited to the bridge for the departure from Castaway Cay that trip (not sure that happens as much now, post 911) We were not alone, there were maybe 20 lucky's up there and as we were steaming out I struck up a conversation with a nice fellow about my age: "so, I know what I did to squeak my way up here, how did you do it?"

He says, "I'm a VP with the cruise line and I'm with a group of our telephone agents for training."

"Reallly, well have I got a funny story for you..." And I related my conversation.

We was aghast to say the least and assured me it wasn't really that way.

I laughed and assured him I was sure the CM was just giving me a line and then handed him my card. "Maybe you should warn them they never know who's on the other end of the line." It identified me a Senior Officer & Commanding Officer of a Coast Guard Cutter in South Florida.... rolleye11.gif

He told me he thought they should have another training session that night and last I saw he was heading off the bridge.

My Dau got to sound the Magic'al horn on the departure from Castaway....I have it on video....very special.

oh ya - I've never doubted that the CG inspectors have ensured there are adequate life boats.....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived