Safari from Capetown, SA

dabear

We are considering the 2015 Capetown SA round trip cruise with a 3 day precruise safari near Port Elizabeth. My wife is allergic to misquetoes. Does anyone know how bad the bugs are on a short SA safari?

I think bugs would be during or just after rainy season! I can't remember when we were in S. Africa and Kenya but we didn't have many if any bugs!

Edited by TedC

We are considering the 2015 Capetown SA round trip cruise with a 3 day precruise safari near Port Elizabeth. My wife is allergic to misquetoes. Does anyone know how bad the bugs are on a short SA safari?

Hi Michael

Can't answer your question about the bugs but we were on the same cruise as you from India to Egypt last spring. We are booked on the Nov 2015 Cape Town cruise that you are looking at. If you decide to go on this one it will be nice too see you both again. This sailing is sure booking up fast.

Faye and Jack D.

If you want relatively bug free and malaria safe place then Kwandwe Private Game Reserve would be my first choice (link). IMO, It is one of the best in all of Southern Africa. It is a 2 hour drive from Port Elizabeth, or you catch a flight on Federal Air (link) and SAS back to Cape Town. Either way they will make all the transfer arraignments.

Next best is Phinda (link). Phinda is further and you would have to fly. It is part of the &Beyond group. They also have camps near Kruger National park called Ngala and the famous Sabi Sands. These are still in "Luxury" catigory, but not as nice a Kwandre. All of these are in relatively dry areas, so mosquitos are not much of a problem unless it has rained a lot. Think more of Napa valley than the Amazon.

And go all out. And, if you can, go for at least 4 days. I my opinion the Safari camps are probably the best travel experiences I have every had. We keep going back time after time. Have done South Africa, including Kruger, Kenya, Namibia and Zimbabwe. Botswana and Tanzania are next on our list.

I keep repeating myself, but have an experience agent, one who knows Africa and the Safari camps, book this for you.

Email me below if you have questions.

J

31/425

These suggestions are wonderful, but the OP is looking at the pre-cruise safaris offered by Regent so the areas are pre-selected. One is Lion Sands River Lodge in Kruger National Park (there is another in that area). There are more options outside of Port Elizabeth -- such as Shamwari Game Reserve. We selected a lodge in Shamwari Game Reserve because of the reviews and it does not require us to fly into Johannesburg.

From a map that I was looking at (areas where there are mosquitos and malaria), most of South Africa was pretty clear.

If going to Lion Sands I highly recommend the Ivory Lodge instead of the River Lodge.

Again, why even do this through Regent? It can be done so much more economically on ones' own.

It is hard to beat "included" (limited time promotion). Actually, Lion Sands River Lodge (only lodge choice) on the promotion is $799/person for concierge and above and $1,099/person for concierge. This will be going up to $2,500/person for non-concierge and $2,374/person for higher suites. This includes 3 nights and flights from Johannesburg to Hoedspruite and two flights back (one to Johannesburg and then on to Cape Town).

The safari's out of Port Elizabeth are currently included for concierge and above and $499/person non-concierge. Prices will increase when the promotion is over. This also includes 3 nights and round-trip flights from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.

The one we selected has 3 game drives which is enough for us. We are looking for a taste of a safari. And, based on Trip Advisor reviews of Eagle Crag lodge (our choice), there are lots of animals to see.

Be rest assured that the Eastern Cape have some of the finest game reserves in South Africa, that specifically cater for the luxury travel market.

Kwandwe is amazing, however would also strongly recommend that you check out Shamwari, Pumba and Amakhala game reserves, all within the same distance from Port Elizabeth.

My partner and I have often cruised on SS, and live in the Western and Eastern Cape. Email us on rdmcc@webmail.co.za if you need any further guidance, and trust you will enjoy our beautiful country!