I've chosen the clothes, now i'm ready

runner2013

Hi all,

I know a large majority of us ladies tend to overpack, so I've whittled my wardrobe down to what I think is just the essentials for my upcoming 5 day trip on Liberty.

I started by putting back my big suitcase and pulling out the medium size instead. What a great motivator that was to keep it simple.

so here goes::

3 dresses, 2 light sweaters which match all 3

2 pairs of sandals + the ones i'll be wearing on the plane ride down. Mix and match for the dresses and my shorts.

1 pair of capri's for on and off the ship.

6 shirts & tank tops total. Again they mix and match everything.

2 bathing suits, a coverup, 2 flip flops. Possibly downgrading to 1 in the future.

3 exercise outfits & sneakers(I can pretend and say i'll exercise every day but why kid myself :)

Jewelry which will mix and match up or down depending on the outfit.

1 cross body bag for flights and excursion, and 2 clutches that match everything.

Only things left are the undergarments, a book,toiletries and my huge hairdryer which is going in my carry on this time. Last year I packed it and my suitcase ended up in the 'naughty' room at the bottom of the ship. I think because of it's shape they had a concern when it was exrayed. I have long curly hair and there was a diffuser on the end of it. :eek:

Other than that, if I don't have it I don't need it, I can buy it or i'll do without it.

Here's hoping I survive :}

If you're serious about the workout clothes (the fact you state you might not use them) take one outfit, leave the other 2 at home.

Six tops is a lot for a 5 day trip, especially when you will be wearing a swimsuit/coverup a couple of those days. You could leave half of those home.

Add a couple pair of shorts to go with those tops.

You really only need one pair of flip flops.

If you're serious about traveling at least once per year, invest in a travel sized dryer. It may take a couple more minutes to dry your hair, but it's half the size and weight of a regular dryer. Mine is years old and I've used it plenty. There are models that come with a diffuser, or better yet, a diffuser sleeve. There are several on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_24?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=travel+hair+dryer+with+diffuser&sprefix=travel+hair+dryer+with+d%2Caps%2C276

I wouldn't be surprised if you follow your packing list that you bring half of it home (or more) unworn. Not that that's a bad thing, just that (for me) I don't like carrying home clean clothes, I want everything worn and dirty, no extras.

I haven't decided what to take on my next cruise, but my list will pretty much follow this (7 night cruise, one night pre and 2 nights post):

One pair black slacks, one pair white slacks for evening.

Two dressy tops, three casual tops for evening. One pair evening shoes. Two of the three tops will be worn twice, the pants laundered a couple times each.

Three pair shorts, one pair capris, five tops to mix and match all. One pair sandals. Two sundresses.

One bathing suit, one cover up, one pair flip flops.

Underwear, bras.

Toiletries, small first aid kit, travel blow dryer (I have never used one in a hotel or on any cruise ship that I found acceptable), camera, iPod. Cell phone, turned off, only used for emergencies. There are a few odds and ends in my carry on, stuff that is always packed and ready to go. I pretty much have everything I use on a daily basis (toiletries, makeup tools, alarm clock, etc..) in travel sizes. It beats having to gather all that stuff every time we travel.

Tote bag for travel on top of a small carry on for the plane. 24" suitcase, checked onto plane. One day use purse (cross body, doubles as wallet), one evening purse, one folded fabric beach bag.

I pack one outfit into my carry on, I cross pack at least one outfit into my husbands checked bag and vice versa. If a case goes on a different vacation, we'd have at least 3 outfits that way.

Forgot…my pajamas and lightweight robe, I will not wear the heavy waffle weave or terry cloth ones provided. I'd be a sweaty mess. I also do laundry at mid point, or send a few things out for laundry. Or, I even will hand wash a couple things, no biggie.

Edited by Happy ks

Hi all,

I know a large majority of us ladies tend to overpack, so I've whittled my wardrobe down to what I think is just the essentials for my upcoming 5 day trip on Liberty.

I started by putting back my big suitcase and pulling out the medium size instead. What a great motivator that was to keep it simple.

so here goes::

3 dresses, 2 light sweaters which match all 3

2 pairs of sandals + the ones i'll be wearing on the plane ride down. Mix and match for the dresses and my shorts.

1 pair of capri's for on and off the ship.

6 shirts & tank tops total. Again they mix and match everything.

2 bathing suits, a coverup, 2 flip flops. Possibly downgrading to 1 in the future.

3 exercise outfits & sneakers(I can pretend and say i'll exercise every day but why kid myself :)

Jewelry which will mix and match up or down depending on the outfit.

1 cross body bag for flights and excursion, and 2 clutches that match everything.

Only things left are the undergarments, a book,toiletries and my huge hairdryer which is going in my carry on this time. Last year I packed it and my suitcase ended up in the 'naughty' room at the bottom of the ship. I think because of it's shape they had a concern when it was exrayed. I have long curly hair and there was a diffuser on the end of it. :eek:

Other than that, if I don't have it I don't need it, I can buy it or i'll do without it.

Here's hoping I survive :}

Sounds like you've got it down. Hope it all works out for you and that you have an awesome cruise!:D

I'm an overpacker but on my next trip (not a cruise though), I'm going to try to pack light and see how it goes. Just in case it doesn't work for me, I've got back up clothes in the closet at my parent's home, which is where I'm headed.:D I'll report back how it went and hope you do the same!;)

If you're serious about the workout clothes (the fact you state you might not use them) take one outfit, leave the other 2 at home.

Six tops is a lot for a 5 day trip, especially when you will be wearing a swimsuit/coverup a couple of those days. You could leave half of those home.

Add a couple pair of shorts to go with those tops.

You really only need one pair of flip flops.

If you're serious about traveling at least once per year, invest in a travel sized dryer. It may take a couple more minutes to dry your hair, but it's half the size and weight of a regular dryer. Mine is years old and I've used it plenty. There are models that come with a diffuser, or better yet, a diffuser sleeve. There are several on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_24?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=travel+hair+dryer+with+diffuser&sprefix=travel+hair+dryer+with+d%2Caps%2C276

I wouldn't be surprised if you follow your packing list that you bring half of it home (or more) unworn. Not that that's a bad thing, just that (for me) I don't like carrying home clean clothes, I want everything worn and dirty, no extras.

I haven't decided what to take on my next cruise, but my list will pretty much follow this (7 night cruise, one night pre and 2 nights post):

One pair black slacks, one pair white slacks for evening.

Two dressy tops, three casual tops for evening. One pair evening shoes. Two of the three tops will be worn twice, the pants laundered a couple times each.

Three pair shorts, one pair capris, five tops to mix and match all. One pair sandals. Two sundresses.

One bathing suit, one cover up, one pair flip flops.

Underwear, bras.

Toiletries, small first aid kit, travel blow dryer (I have never used one in a hotel or on any cruise ship that I found acceptable), camera, iPod. Cell phone, turned off, only used for emergencies. There are a few odds and ends in my carry on, stuff that is always packed and ready to go. I pretty much have everything I use on a daily basis (toiletries, makeup tools, alarm clock, etc..) in travel sizes. It beats having to gather all that stuff every time we travel.

Tote bag for travel on top of a small carry on for the plane. 24" suitcase, checked onto plane. One day use purse (cross body, doubles as wallet), one evening purse, one folded fabric beach bag.

I pack one outfit into my carry on, I cross pack at least one outfit into my husbands checked bag and vice versa. If a case goes on a different vacation, we'd have at least 3 outfits that way.

Forgot…my pajamas and lightweight robe, I will not wear the heavy waffle weave or terry cloth ones provided. I'd be a sweaty mess. I also do laundry at mid point, or send a few things out for laundry. Or, I even will hand wash a couple things, no biggie.

Since posting this I've already dumped a pair of flipflops, and a few other small things. I have to bring my hairdryer, it has a diffuser for my curly hair and after trying to get by many times with a portable one it's just not the same.

After thinking about what we want to do for excursions, etc I will probably wear most everything I'm bringing. One shirt is for embarking and another for debarking so that leaves me with 4.

I usually exercise 6 days a week so only bringing 4 workout outfits is a step down for me. (last year I went 5 out of 7 days :)Too bad I can't wear those more than once...

I agree with you when it comes to cross packing. We always swap an outfit just in case something happens.

I still have another week so who knows what can happen between now and then.

Enjoy your next cruise..wherever it may take you..

Since posting this I've already dumped a pair of flipflops, and a few other small things. I have to bring my hairdryer, it has a diffuser for my curly hair and after trying to get by many times with a portable one it's just not the same.

After thinking about what we want to do for excursions, etc I will probably wear most everything I'm bringing. One shirt is for embarking and another for debarking so that leaves me with 4.

I usually exercise 6 days a week so only bringing 4 workout outfits is a step down for me. (last year I went 5 out of 7 days :)Too bad I can't wear those more than once...

I agree with you when it comes to cross packing. We always swap an outfit just in case something happens.

I still have another week so who knows what can happen between now and then.

Enjoy your next cruise..wherever it may take you..

Not knowing the fabric of your running/workout clothes...is it possible you could wash them out in the sink after using and hang to dry in the shower? Just a thought.

Hope you have a fabulous cruise!:D No matter how many workout outfits you take! :)

Edited by mousey

• 2 weeks later...

My problem is packing for the coolness of the ship and still be seasonal. I have a cream sweater and a black Jersey sweater, but can't decide which would be better. I have many combinations of tops to go with a Jersey dress, but would I freeze?

Any ideas would be welcome. I still have four weeks to go

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg