Dorky?

We all wear one at work everyday with our keye cards and id badges. I work ina very secure building , so i need it all day. It would be a real PITA to have to take it out of my pocket or wallet. Then of course there is the ineveitable event that I would lose it *LOL*

But I know how important not being Dorky is to a teen. Wait til they get onboard and they give them their lanyard. Like others have said , once they see all the other kids wearing them they will be cool.

Absolutely NOT dorky...just practical. My kids would lose their cards instantly and repeatedly, and I'd spend my entire vacation standing in line to replace them if they didn't use lanyards. It never really occurred to me that anybody would think they were dorky unless they were worn over a suit jacket on formal night!

I keep my card on a lanyard. I have the type with a plastic sleeve to put the card in so it's easily pulled out to pay for drinks, etc. I sure don't want to carry a purse around the ship just for one card, and it would fall out of my pockets for sure so there's really nowhere else to carry it :confused:

I still fail to see why people think lanyards are dorky. I think it's more dorky to have to visit guest services to replace a lost card. :D

Well said, I know one time i was on the top deck and the wind was really bad and my landyard I bought at the logo shop ripped and my card fell to a deck below, how did it not land in the water, good question. The card got back to guest services before I did, which wasnt long

So I don't know about where you live, but the teens and college students I know all use lanyards to hold their car keys and student ID's. They don't wear them around their neck they let them hang "casually" out of the pocket so that you can read whatever the lanyard says.

We will use lanyards again on our cruise, mainly because it allows me to be hands free and if I do put them in my beach bag find them easily enough to get back on the ship.

Not dorky at all. There were lots of kids on our Christmas cruise and they were all wearing lanyards. DH and I started using lanyards 3 cruises ago. He thinks they are dorky but he still uses his - wears it around his neck but tucks it into his shirt pocket. I don't like to carry a purse while on-board so wearing a lanyard with my Seapass card is the only solution for me. We have RCCL lanyards but I switched mine out to my favorite football team - Superbowl Champions Seattle Seahawks! It was fun to check out everyone's lanyard over Christmas - lots of football teams represented! :D

I tell you when I was a kid/teen I used to feel real dorky/daggy when on camp and mum had sewn my name onto all (and I do mean all) my items of clothing and written it on other items. I'd take the lanyard without a doubt (just don't write your kids name all over the lanyard or sew tags into their clothes!) and enjoy your cruise.

I had no idea anyone considered lanyards "dorky." It's one of the most popular key chain items on the east coast....

Now maybe we should discuss the real dorky items; like Crocks, or people who wear Crocks and socks:rolleyes:..... (I say this with my tongue firmly implanted in my cheek)

I had no idea anyone considered lanyards "dorky." It's one of the most popular key chain items on the east coast....

Now maybe we should discuss the real dorky items; like Crocks, or people who wear Crocks and socks:rolleyes:..... (I say this with my tongue firmly implanted in my cheek)

You are right..

I mean when I was in school I would have jumped a kid with a fanny pack for his lunch money wayyyy before I would a kid with a lanyard.

Unless the kid with the lanyard was into Dungeons and Dragons , in that case I mean some on they are just plain asking for it regardless of what is around their necks *LOL*

I guess I am dorky as well, because I have used a lanyard on cruises for years. Last year I bought pretty sparkly ones for my teen girls and me, a phillies one for my husband and a redskins one for my dad. they can be great conversation starters. They are also a practical way to keep track of your card, especially since I don't always carry a bag with me. If you are unsure, let the kids pick out their own, attached their cards to them, and let them decide whether or not to wear them. There's no rule that says you must wear it. Mine is often in my pocket. Like a previous poster said, you'll feel a lot dorkier if you lose your card and have to get a new one.

We always use a lanyard but most of the time I put mine under my shirt or attach it to my beach bag so that the wind doesn't whip the card into my face. It would get lost if I put it in my pocket and having it on the lanyard is more convenient that putting it in a wallet or something. DH keeps his card on a lanyard in his shorts/swim shorts pockets as they are pretty deep.

My nieces (8 and 10 at the time) wore lanyards when we went to Disney (their choice) and of course had to buy all the pins to cover every square inch. :)

I'm a dork then! I wear a lanyard with a pouch to hold my card. Beats having it fall out of a pocket.

You must have the same RCI as I do - zippered pocket good for many things. Without pockets what else can someone do but wear an lanyard?

The Op is talking about teens . It is a big deal not to be dorky to them.

Doesn't matter, there are as many judgemental adults who seem to insist on pointing out what is wrong and right. I wear size 12 shoes with a narrow width and have very long toes. For me flipflops are the worst invention ever. I loved when crocs were invented as they fit, they are comfortable, they stay on, they are waterproof, sandproof and float. I've accidentally forgotten what a judgmental group we have here on Cruise Critic and mentioned crocs and have had the harhest replies and entire threads steered off course. I don't wear them with black socks or in the MDR though.

Doesn't matter, there are as many judgemental adults who seem to insist on pointing out what is wrong and right. I wear size 12 shoes with a narrow width and have very long toes. For me flipflops are the worst invention ever. I loved when crocs were invented as they fit, they are comfortable, they stay on, they are waterproof, sandproof and float. I've accidentally forgotten what a judgmental group we have here on Cruise Critic and mentioned crocs and have had the harhest replies and entire threads steered off course. I don't wear them with black socks or in the MDR though.

At 51 , I can honestly say I don't care what other people think of me, as long as I am not hurting them (which I would never deliberately do).

They don't like my hat, shoes, pants . God bless them and they need to deal with it. I have also been blessed with a smart mouth and I will give as good as I get.

At 15 not so much, you wanted to be part of the gang.

I love my lanyard, and am never without it. I am at the very lucky time of my life....I am old enough not to give a rat's tail what other people think of me. It's a convenience, and if it's dorky, so be it....:D

Love it!!!

I'm a dork as well. :) I wear a plain black one, and keep it tucked in my shirt. I'm not carrying a purse around, and I sure as heck don't want to lose it.

We had a dressier one that attached behind the neck with a magnetic closure. It took us a while to figure out why my daughter's sea pass card kept needing to be replaced. No problem while she was wearing it, but when she took it off....:o

My teens have them - they don't wear them all the time - especially in port.

I had no idea that they were considered dorky....of course I have my crocs and socks on currently and before I go out later will strap on my fanny pack and maybe just maybe if everyone is super lucky today....I will wear my dressy black crocs out instead of these neon pink ones!

I bring a lanyard from home and always get approached on where it came from and where to get it punched...usually at the bar when I can carry several drinks without worrying about my pass!

That's pretty good- I'm a big fan of sandals + socks. Mainly because I want to wear sandals when I get to Florida or Puerto Rico, but don't want to change footwear. So boarding in winter in Michigan means sandals + socks.

If someone has a problem with what I wear, it's not my problem. They are the one choosing to have a problem with it. that's how i see it.

So I'm going to use by bright red lanyard I got at Spa for a race. It's works for me.

Our whole family uses them. We were given them on our second Disney cruise and use them traveling whether it be at Disney or on a cruise.

Ours have a small clear plastic holder that zips shut- they are not much bigger than the room card.

We use them, don't give a rip about it being dorky or not. Losing one (I have) is a pain especially if you are off ship. The kids hang theirs by the door or the closet, and they never forget to leave the cabin with out it. If I don't want to wear it I just roll it up and put it in my pocket, but if I am in swim trunks it is good to have it in something that you can just grab and go to the bar.

Judge not least ye be judged :D

Our whole family uses them. We were given them on our second Disney cruise and use them traveling whether it be at Disney or on a cruise.

Ours have a small clear plastic holder that zips shut- they are not much bigger than the room card.

We have those I absolutely love them! I think they make it so much easier to remember where I put my Seapass! Plus then you don't have to worry about pockets or a lack of them