Cocktail dress - sandals (no pantyhose) vs. dress shoes & pantyhose?

I am sure that this question has been addressed in the past to some extent but I was unable to locate it. I just bought a black cocktail dress. Originally my DH and I were not going to get dressed up to the do the formal night(s) but now another couple is joining us so we will be. I don't normally wear hose anymore with shoes (I live in Fla.) I tend to wear a lot of sandals. Would a a dressy pair of sandals (no pantyhose) look out of place with my dress? My legs are extremely white so especially with the black dress they will be noticeable. Thanks for your advices

IMO, if they are a strappy sandal, then they will be perfect. And definitely skip the hose with sandals. Its a very clean, sexy look. Doesn't matter that your legs are pale, it's better then the run-on black look if you went with dress, pantyhose and shoes. JMO though.

I have to respectfully disagree, I do not think a black dress will look its best with bare, white legs. If you decide on no hose why not use a fake tanner. Another consideration, if you decide on hose and shoes as opposed to sandals I would try the dress on with both barely black and nude colored hose.

I don't wear hose often but some cocktail dresses look better and more elegant with hose and heels.

I also live in FL and am not pale skinned; I have olive skin and tan easily. Still, I do not go barelegged if I do not have a tan. I don't like the look. Just MHO.

If you can get a little color on your legs before formal night theat woudl be ideal with no hose. Still I wouldn't wear hose anyway. If you must, what about an open weave fishnet style -- nothing trashy but your legs won't be bare & you won't be so hot.

I think the answer really depends on the style of the cocktail dress.

If it's winter and the fabric is black polyester crepe and if the dress has a classic style with short or long sleeves and a a symmetrical knee-length hem, then I think it needs stockings and closed-toed shoes.

If it's summer and the dress is more trendy and/or casual in fabric and/or design or it's a simple sheath, then I think embellished strappy sandals with no stockings works well.

I am pale, have red hair, don't plan on having any sort of tan...and I have two pair of strappy sandals w/heels that I'm wearing: black satin with a rhinestone dragonfly (I love dragonflies) over the bridge of the foot; cream colored satin with a little gold going over the bridge along with some cream. No hose but some damn good panties to keep things from sticking out or jiggling :D .

For the days when I wear my sundresses, I will either wear one of the above or my cute little first pair of Birkies. They are cream and light brown leopard print with peach roses on them. Very neutral, IMO, yet very cool looking.

Might as well list the other shoes: a pair of Ralph Lauren sneakers that have mesh on the sides. Got them in NYC a couple of years ago -- my feet were killing me, my regular sneakers weren't cutting it. They are the kind of shoes that you can walk for miles in and never feel like you're wearing any. The most comfortable sneakers I have ever owned. I'm also taking a pair of flip flops that I got at the Lancome outlet last summer. They're jelly red and the sole is multi-colored stripe. They cost me $1.00 and I plan on wearing them to the Dolphin Swim and whenever I go to the beach or pool.

I had thought about panty hose, too, but I just can't hack wearing them when it's hot. But also, if I didn't have those great underpanties, I would definitely bring them to keep things together!:D

Strappy sandals and no pantyhose would be my choice, no matter how dressy the dress. If your legs are very pale (like mine), try Jergens natural glow daily moisturizer. It adds a tint of color with no chance of streaking. It's not a self-tanner, just a moisturizer with a subtle darkening. I love it, use it all the time.

Patty

Strappy sandals and no pantyhose would be my choice, no matter how dressy the dress. If your legs are very pale (like mine), try Jergens natural glow daily moisturizer. It adds a tint of color with no chance of streaking. It's not a self-tanner, just a moisturizer with a subtle darkening. I love it, use it all the time.

Patty

I'll have to check this. I usually don't wear panty hose, if I can get away with it, but some dresses just look better with them. This would be a great alternative for ankle length dresses, where your legs show a bit. As much as I hate pantyhose, I wear them with dressy knee length dress and a closed toe shoe.

CruiseQueen13 your not alone on not wearing the pantyhose on formal night. Something about pantyhose and cruising, they just don't go together!!! My very first cruise I wore them, but that was it! It's just way too comfortable going w/o them!

I was flipping thru my Lucky book (it's a fashion book of sorts that shows you tons of ideas on what to wear, how to change it around, etc., etc., they also have their own magazine out) and it says you can also wear fishnet stockings with strappy sandals.

Just wanted to add that in. As far as it goes for me, my legs will be bare...

Archived