Silver Service

ed the dog

Hi

Just read a review on the Bolsover Cruise Club page, which stated the Silver Service is no longer provided in the main dining room on Aracdia. Now meals are brought to the table ready plated.

Can anyone confirm this ? and is it just Arcadia, or now the policy on all ships ?

I think this is another slip in standards and deprives us of on of the oppertunities to get to know your waiter better.

Thanks

Thanks Guys.

We haven't been with P&O since September, so this was news to me and a real shame.

That along with the no smoking on balconies, will make us think again about P&O for our next cruise, were as to date they have been our fist choice. :(

On our last cruise with P&O last October on the Ventura they had just introduced the ready plated meals....wasn't too sure if it was just on the Ventura or if had just been a temporary measure but it sounds like it is permanent and all through the fleet

Thanks Guys.

We haven't been with P&O since September, so this was news to me and a real shame.

That along with the no smoking on balconies, will make us think again about P&O for our next cruise, were as to date they have been our fist choice. :(

No change on Oceana in February of this year and reports from Azura in the last week or so say exactly the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We had plated meals on Ventura earlier this year and considered it an improvement on the so called silver service. The food was attractively presented on the plate and tended to be hotter as you did not have to wait while the waiters served the extra veg, which used to consist of more potato and something else which was inevitably over cooked. If you want extra vegetables you can always ask.

We think the Pre Plated service works better than the Silver service.

You meal arrives hot, nicely laid out and as the chef intended it.

Veg still arrives separately and is served according to your wishes.

Hi ed the dog

We have just returned from 14 nights in the Caribbean on Ventura having selected Freedom Dining.All the meals in the Main Dining Room came pre plated and I have to say I found it to be a vast improvement the plates were always hot and therefore the food itself was hot, despite comments on this site and others about smaller portions I found the portions to be excellent and I do enjoy my food. With regard to the waiters on our first night in MDR we were very impressed with the friendliness and professionalism of our waiters and wine waiter and thereafter were able to get seated in that section every evening except one, the waiters were very attentive without being intrusive and had time to have a short conversation,between out table companions and staff we always had a very pleasant dining experience.We have cruised since 2005 and have never had a true silver service meal in the MDR,the main course always came plated and only vegetables were served individually so I would not let this small change put you off. Happy Cruising to you.

...We have cruised since 2005 and have never had a true silver service meal in the MDR,the main course always came plated and only vegetables were served individually so I would not let this small change put you off. Happy Cruising to you.

We had our first P&O cruise (actually a liner voyage on Oriana) in 1975 and it was the same sort of partial silver service even then. It was the same on our three cruises on Canberra starting in 1986. Even Cunard has done away with silver service in the MDRs, keeping it only for those who order from the a la carte menus in the Queen's and Princess Grills.

What I miss most from silver service is the ability to have some say in what vegetables are put on my plate. Most vegetables are vile to my taste, so when chef decides which ones and how much of each I should eat it creates a lot of waste. It was so much better when I was presented with a tray and I could decide which one(s) to eat.

We did Caribbean in December on Ventura and very impressed did Azura earlier in the year and it was much better with plated meals we had no issues asking for veg. off another dish which was more to our liking.

Loved the 2 freedom dining restaurants as well not that they looked much different.

The staff in December on Ventura were much better than the Azura in March maybe it was the run up to Xmas??

No change on Oceana in February of this year and reports from Azura in the last week or so say exactly the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can confirm that, just back from Azura and dinner service was as it has been for years. Some veg plated and others offered.