Lesson Learned

Uhh yeah, I guess it hurts. But its not exactly an isolated occurrence. Auto manufacturers come out with sales/rebates and I guess if you bought a car the month before - that HURTS. People who bought homes before the housing crash in 08-09 could have bought them much cheaper if they had waited - that HURTS! But, I fail to see why that means that RCI is somehow doing something wrong or mistreating the customer, that's just life - happens every day! :confused:

Oh, my goodness, I know it is not an isolated RCI thing or that RCI is doing something wrong. Just wanted to share with the OP that they are not alone. Forgive me, for trying to be sympathetic How mean you are.

Here's a strategy that I've used. Since you can fly Southwest and

change or get a credit for no change fees. Perhaps you could buy the

airfare first and then watch the cruise prices. In fact, I also watch

the airfare price so see if there are any drops there.

I love Southwest!!

Other than the D-1, which has a larger balcony, all of the other D categories are identical, so upgrading would only make sense if somebody wanted to be in a different location. The JS has a TON of extra room and is very, very nice.

I think a better location could be a good reason to upgrade. Just my opinion though.

Oh, my goodness, I know it is not an isolated RCI thing or that RCI is doing something wrong. Just wanted to share with the OP that they are not alone. Forgive me, for trying to be sympathetic How mean you are.

Mean? Gee, don't think so! I acknowledged that "it hurts", just pointed out that it happens all the time. Not sure how that's mean? :confused:

Uhh yeah, I guess it hurts. But its not exactly an isolated occurrence. Auto manufacturers come out with sales/rebates and I guess if you bought a car the month before - that HURTS. People who bought homes before the housing crash in 08-09 could have bought them much cheaper if they had waited - that HURTS! But, I fail to see why that means that RCI is somehow doing something wrong or mistreating the customer, that's just life - happens every day! :confused:

Hurts doesn't mean RCCL did anything wrong. I agree it happens everyday but it still hurts to see it. I am happy with my cruise and not in the least upset with Royal but it still stings. Either way...ALLURE here I come!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We usually book our cruises 12-18 mo ahead. We usually travel with 2-3 other couples and we like to have have our cabins next to each other.

We booked a southern Carib cruise on Celebrity great hump cabins, at the9 mo mark the price dropped $300 so we got the new price, 2 days after finial payment the price drops $700, we were given OBC for that amount.

Next cruise we booked Celebrity again for Hawaii, again we had great cabins in a row and we felt the price was very good from what we had been seeing. booked 18 mo ahead. the prices went up, up. Then 6weeks before cruise, after finial payment, people on our roll call are getting great upgrades from weekend sales.

Checked and found Aqua Class cabins 3 in a row for the same price as what we paid for balcony cabins 18 mo before. originally the difference was around $1000pp. A call to Celebrity and we were all upgraded to AQ cabins, we were very happy.

Our next cruise on the Oasis we booked right after Valentines Day- this is the closest we have ever booked a cruise, just us so no worry about cabins in a row although there were plenty available. 7 days after we book the price dropped $1200! I had to jump through hoops to get the better price, having to cancel the first, pay the TA penalty. Got a better cabin and still saved $1000.

It does seem that the closer to the cruise you book the better deals can be had. Yes, you are taking your chances you will pay more, but if your not set on a certain cabin and have some flexibility you can get a awesome deal. Do your homework, know the prices for the cruise you want and be ready to jump when the prices start to crash.

Bev

I start out by booking an inside cabin for a great price about 8 months out. I can live with an inside if I get a great price. Now i can book my airfare because I know I am going on that date and ship. I use a monitor system to check prices and I try to get a balcony when the prices come down, usually will cost me 1 to 2 hundred. If the price don't come down I stay inside. I am inside on Oasis on June 28 for 828.00 per person. The least expensive to get on the ship today is 1389.00. This process has worked for me on my last 5 cruises. It only works if your ok with an inside and an upgrade from there is a bonus. Right now 828.00 for that date is the least expensive price that anyone has payed. That is a good feeling for me, it makes me fill like I am beating RCC at there own game.

I like your system.

Hurts doesn't mean RCCL did anything wrong. I agree it happens everyday but it still hurts to see it. I am happy with my cruise and not in the least upset with Royal but it still stings. Either way...ALLURE here I come!

No doubt. Always stings when you find out you could have gotten something cheaper than you did.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise!

So a couple of weeks after final payment is your best bet.

This is often the case. I hate when I see people posting that they booked a cabin a week or a few days before final payment is due. Or even 2 days after. They are in for a world of hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Me, too, very happy with my cruise, my stateroom, and looking forward to a great vacation. See you onboard!

Here's a strategy that I've used. Since you can fly Southwest and

change or get a credit for no change fees. Perhaps you could buy the

airfare first and then watch the cruise prices. In fact, I also watch

the airfare price so see if there are any drops there.

I love Southwest!!

I started using that same strategy for weekend cruises on the Majesty. I book my air on Southwest early and wait. If the price is right, I book and travel. If it goes up, I cancel the air without penalty and move on to the next date. I love southwest also!

As at least one other person wrote, prices can go up and up and up. And cabins can go bye-bye and bye-bye and bye-bye.

I booked a cruise a month ago on the day that reservations opened. It turns out that this cruise is VERY VERY VERY popular. Almost no suites left at all. We have the second best on the ship.

People are now booking, just one month later and still 19 months before sailing, for more than 40% more than we are paying!

:eek:

I am one of those people who reads CC every day (I don't post often but I value all the information that I've gleaned from this site). Therefore, I've seen all the threads about price drops after final payment. We booked our cruise a year out and I watched the price of the cruise daily because of the advice from members here. We were very lucky to get a great deal and paid, what at the time, was the lowest price on our Allure D5 cabin.

Of course, now that final payment has passed, the cabin just dropped another $290 per person below the price we paid (we have two cabins - almost $1200). :confused:

I fully understand Royal's policy and NOTHING is going to ruin this awesome cruise, but I would not have minded saving an additional $1200 (I even looked to see if we could upgrade to a JS but those prices haven't dropped to close to what we paid - but I will keep watching).

We are lucky that we both have a lot of flexibility at work and our kids are older so we don't have to schedule our vacation way ahead. So from now on, I think we are going to "take the risk" and wait to book cruises 4-6 weeks out. I know the airfair costs may be higher but I doubt it would have cost us an additional $1200!

I meant to take the marker off my cruise so I wouldn't get any price drop emails, but I forgot. Oh well, lesson learned.

Does anyone have an idea of when the "best" time to look for deals after final payment would be? Is there a good estimate to wait till 5 weeks or 4 weeks, etc? I know that there is the chance that ships will sell out and prices will increase, but that's the great thing about a flexible schedule we can always try the next week.

Thankfully, because of all the awesome people on CC, I knew this was a possibility and I know RCCL's policy so I am not going to waste my time trying to get any money credited back. Knowing this could happen ahead of time, helped make it easier to swallow once it did happen. Thanks CC'rs!

What I learn is they feature your allure and oasis in the going going gone sale the entire days past final payment. bob warned me but I found out for myself if in that sale will not help[ you for any upgradei should know to never doubt bob LOL