Transfers from Marco Polo airport to cruise terminal in Venice

Ewoodspark

We have not yet booked any flights, but we will be arriving in Venice to get on the Jade. I know you can get NCL to arrange transfers but £20 pp each way seems pricey. I know you can get a ATVO service bus at the airport to Piazza Roma. There seems an inconsistancy however as to if NCL provide a shuttle bus from there to the cruise terminal. Has anybody taken advantage of this service. I know you can get on the People Mover from there, but we are not keen on the walk from the station to the check in terminal. Or is the best bet a pre-ordered car for €73 both ways?

We always takes a taxi from the airport when cruising out of Venice, just out of convenience and to save time. I believe it is a 20 minutes drive. Unfortunately I don't remember what we have usually paid, but I see on the taxi website that it is now (in 2014) a fixed price of Euros 45,00 from the airport to the cruise port terminal.

It is also possible to take a taxi from Piazzale Roma to the cruise port terminal - we always do that if we stay in Venice pre-cruise. We walked all the way the first time, and that was so terrible (especially with suitcases) that we gladly pay the Euros 20 that it cost to go by taxi. We also try to avoid the people mover, since it always seems to be a long line waiting plus very crowded. Price is per car and not per person.

So to me it seems like the offer you have on pre-booking transportation both ways sounds pretty good...?

Edited by TrumpyNOR

<sarcasm type="based on your own replies to others">

Why wouldn't you walk from the airport, anybody with two feet can make it.

</sarcasm>

Yes, if you are not going to spend any time in Venice and only will go from airport directly to the ship and then back from the ship directly to the airport, the pre-ordered car would be the best choice when comparing cost-efficiency to comfort.

Taxi one way is €45 fixed fee (at least to Piazzale Roma, I'd assume that it also applies to the cruise port right beside it) so that would make it €90 both ways.

Aerobus is a good and economical choice if staying somewhere in Venice, for example we are again going to stay for few nights pre-cruise near Piazzale Roma so the bus would be perfect if we didn't arrive so late at night that we'd have to wait almost an hour for the bus after our arrival (if we had just carry-ons, we might catch the previous bus, but having to wait for the luggage to appear, no way).

Taking the bus to Piazzale Roma and then taxi to the cruise terminal would cost less than a taxi all the way but still approximately as much as the quoted price for the private car service and would be a lot less comfy.

NCL has never had shuttle in Venice. If there is one, it is paid by other cruise lines and/or port of Venice, from what I've read there would be a shuttle f.ex. when MSC ship is in port. Last summer when we boarded Jade, there was no shuttle available and we took a taxi from Piazzale Roma for €20 fixed price and were really glad that we did because it was hot.

Your opening line however is rather puzzling.

If you think that nobody will not even notice being on a ship without looking out to the water and hence can not be sea sick, surely because somebody can comfortably walk from the airport to the ship, you should be able too and hence there would be no need for any kind of transportation.

Edited by Demonyte

I now realise why you made that comment. The post I made about sea sickness tablets was quite genuine as in my experiance of cruising, I have never felt any movement of the ship and therefore never even thoight about sickness. I would however, suggest that to walk from Marco Polo airport to the cruise terminal is definately not an option

Hi there,

We used NCL's shuttle transfer from Marco Polo airport last Summer to take us to the Jade. The charge was $30 per person and it was added to our onboard account.

The only thing I would say about it was that we waited a little while because they fill up each shuttle bus before departing and sometimes that takes time, depending on passengers and in-coming flights, but all-in-all it was quick and easy. :)

Hi there,

We used NCL's shuttle transfer from Marco Polo airport last Summer to take us to the Jade. The charge was $30 per person and it was added to our onboard account.

The only thing I would say about it was that we waited a little while because they fill up each shuttle bus before departing and sometimes that takes time, depending on passengers and in-coming flights, but all-in-all it was quick and easy. :)

...but for two or more passengers at least 20 euros more expensive than even a taxi, not to mention a private car like OP mentioned.

Edited by Demonyte

Hi EWOODSPARK.

The easiest way and most cost effective is.

Outside Marco Polo Airport, straight outside is a bus terminal. Jump on the bus to take you to the Piazzale Roma ( bus terminal in venice ). It takes about 20 minutes and cheap. From memory it was about 5 euros.

Once you alight from the bus at the venice terminal, a very very short walk across the street to the People Mover. Buy a ticket ( once again cheap ) from memory 1 euro or something similar.

2 minutes later get off the People Mover at the Port, and once again very very short walk to the ship.

Easiest and cheapest way. No problems at all.

Enjoy the Jade. We did.... Cheers Bob & Chris.:):):)

When we sailed from Venice last summer we got a taxi from the airport to the ship. There may be cheaper ways but nothing beats it on speed and door to door convenience. We paid about 50 Euro or slightly less.

The summer before we were disembarking at Venice and had a flight around lunchtime so took the NCL transfer. It was fine but we waited a while for everyone to get boarded and then as we were in no rush we opted out of the pushing and shoving to get off the bus at the airport and got off last.

2 minutes later get off the People Mover at the Port, and once again very very short walk to the ship.

The walk is about 600-800 meters (up to half a mile) in the port area (measured from Google Maps/Earth) depending on the actual terminal used - in summer heat and luggage that is not what I'd call "very very short". :D It is not too long for able bodied but definitely not "very short" either.

Edited by Demonyte

Sorry to disagree with you.

600-800 metres walk in our opinion is very very short. Yes, and I am talking about able body persons.

Have a nice day.

Regards Bob.

Edited by portcbob

The walk is about 600-800 meters (up to half a mile) in the port area (measured from Google Maps/Earth) depending on the actual terminal used - in summer heat and luggage that is not what I'd call "very very short". :D It is not too long for able bodied but definitely not "very short" either.

Thanks for the information about the ATVO bus from the airport to Piazzle Roma but the People Mover to me does not look a very good option. Looking at the map and other comments,it certainly seems a "good walk" from the station to the cruise terminal. I know for a fact that if I arranged for that cheaper option, my wife would not be impressed with the idea of lugging her case behind her for half a mile

Sorry to disagree with you.

600-800 metres walk in our opinion is very very short. Yes, and I am talking about able body persons.

Have a nice day.

Regards Bob.

That would be 550-750 metres too far for me. Not to mention the baggage to pull and carry and the heat. I consider myself to be able bodied, I certainly have no disabilities.

What I like is my comfort and convenience. I pay a lot of money for my cruise and an extra few pounds for a comfortable and convenient way to get from the place I am to the place I need to be is actually a drop in the ocean money wise, the time saved is enormous and the lack of stress on my mind and body immeasurable. Each to their own.

:( I was only offering a suggestion, based on our experience.

No need to frown. :) OP just had a) cheaper and b) faster transportation options already figured out - why would they choose expensive (and because of the possible wait for other passengers, sometimes really slow) NCL transfers if they already know about better ones.. :)

We have a water taxi picking us up at the airport and then dropping us off at our hotel (the closest dock). When we go to the ship on the next day, he will pick us up at the same hotel and drop us off at the airport. The price is the same for up to 5 people. The price was 180E round trip for 5 people and well worth it, if you have any trouble walking at all. No need to be climbing over bridges with your luggage either.

Edited by lifeisgoodPat
stupidity.

We have a water taxi picking us up at the airport and then dropping us off at our hotel (the closest dock). When we go to the ship on the next day, he will pick us up at the same hotel and drop us off at the port. The price is the same for up to 5 people. The price was 180E round trip for 5 people and well worth it, if you have any trouble walking at all. No need to be climbing over bridges with your luggage either.

We have a water taxi picking us up at the airport and then dropping us off at our hotel (the closest dock). When we go to the ship on the next day, he will pick us up at the same hotel and drop us off at the port. The price is the same for up to 5 people. The price was 180E round trip for 5 people and well worth it, if you have any trouble walking at all. No need to be climbing over bridges with your luggage either.

Sounds OK if a few of you. We are only two, and €180 is a bit steep.

I would just stick with the taxi or private car from the airport to the pier. The bus was okay, but you have to load and unload your luggage from the bottom compartment (wasn't easy for two elderly ladies with mobility issues). The price is right, but not the convenience.

The driver of the private car/taxi will load/unload your luggage for you.

Have a great trip!

I would just stick with the taxi or private car from the airport to the pier. The bus was okay, but you have to load and unload your luggage from the bottom compartment (wasn't easy for two elderly ladies with mobility issues). The price is right, but not the convenience.

Are you referring to NCL transfer bus? Public buses from airport to Piazzale Roma in Venice are like this (no bottom compartments):

aerobus_actv-2.jpg

Do NCL have a transfer from the cruise terminal to and from Piazzle Roma?

I was advised by NCL that they only do a shuttle bus if you have booked flights through them.

I will bow down to your more knowledgable information than mine however as I have never been to Venice, but any tips would be useful

Do NCL have a transfer from the cruise terminal to and from Piazzle Roma?

I was advised by NCL that they only do a shuttle bus if you have booked flights through them.

From my post #3 in this same thread:

NCL has never had shuttle in Venice. If there is one, it is paid by other cruise lines and/or port of Venice, from what I've read there would be a shuttle f.ex. when MSC ship is in port.