Two new 5000-passenger MSC ships to be built in France...!

Frode

Hello!

Just read at the internet that there will be a press conference in Paris (France), coming Thursday March 20th:

Two big new MSC ships are to be built at the STX Shipyard in Saint Nazaire in France.

And furthermore, the preliminary info says the following about each of the new ships:

* 160-170 tons.

* 5000 passengers.

* 2000 crew members.

* 315 m long.

* Only Oasis- and Allure of the Seas will be larger than the new MSC vessels.

* The lenght of the ships will make it possible for them to visit most of the existing harbours (which is not possible of the Oasis and Allure).

* The cost of each ship: Euro 700 million (USD 975 million)

Exciting news! Awaiting for more to come :)

Edited by Frode

Hello!

Just read at the internet that there will be a press conference in Paris (France), coming Thursday March 20th:

Two big new MSC ships are to be built at the STX Shipyard in Saint Nazaire in France.

And furthermore, the preliminary info says the following about each of the new ships:

* 160-170 tons.

* 5000 passengers.

* 2000 crew members.

* 315 m long.

* Only Oasis- and Allure of the Seas will be larger than the new MSC vessels.

* The lenght of the ships will make it possible for them to visit most of the existing harbours (which is not possible of the Oasis and Allure).

* The cost of each ship: Euro 700 million (USD 975 million)

Exciting news! Awaiting for more to come :)

Thank you for the very interesting news. Finally some facts about the new class of ships and it will be very interesting to check the news about the ships after the pressconference in Paris:)

Many thanks Frode. It was just yesterday....

If you read Vago's remarks about wanting to "invent the iPhone of the cruise industry", savings of scale, about fatter rather than longer and that one of the new builds is set to replace the Divina out of Miami, you would not just expect a Vista Class ship. Expect a new take on 'the cruise ship' and a new class altogether.

I look forward to seeing their designs.

Taking MSC's current trends to their limits, you end up with a hotel that does not need to consume fuel by moving or being sea-worthy.

Hence I have booked myself a 'landcruise' later this year - all of the cruise experience without having to get off.

:)

It is true!

Frode ... Thanks for the info some of which i posted way back in November 13 regarding tonnage and number of passengers of the ships.

The info you have about the MSC ships being only exceeded by Oasis and Allure is not right because Anthem and Quantum of the seas the two New RCI ships will be 176,800 tons and 348m long.

I for one hope, nay, pray they have a wrap-around promenade and front observation deck. Then maybe I can cruise on MSC without having a dreadful, frightful, forgettable experience. Oh no, that's somebody else.

HERE is the future vista ship

It is about as far from a Vista class ship as it could be!

Berths 5,500 (Vista max 2388)

Crew 1,536 (Vista 800-976)

Length 315m (Vista 290m)

Beam 43m (Vista 32m)

Tonnage 167,000 (Vista around 84,000)

Having studies the 3D mock-up, she looks very much like an evolution of the Fantasia Class but achieving the twin design goals of the accommodation capacity of a mega-ship for the associated economies of scale while still being able to access the ports of a regular cruise ship - many of which are denied to mega-ships.

These goals appear to have been achieved by adding an extra passenger accommodation deck and making her 5.5 % shorter but 13% wider than the Fantasia class. So shorter, fatter and taller. The full beam is however only used for the public decks, I assume to maintain an adequate public space ratio given the extra deck, and in three sections of the accommodation decks. Where the accommodation decks are are full beam, I expect they will be a mix of two combinations:

1) relatively deep suites + inside crew cabins; and

2) balcony cabins + inside cabins + crew cabins inside the inside cabins.

The press release goes on

"The new prototype will be the biggest cruise ship ever built by a European ship owner and the most versatile and flexible of the world: not only will it be able to call in most of the ports and destinations on earth, without compromise, but it will have extraordinary features that will make it the perfect choice at sea, in summer and in winter. The two new ships will reaffirm MSC Cruises dedication to outstanding and genuine dining options and out-of-this-world entertainment with new panoramic spaces, a bigger theatre and a spectacular amusement park connected to an outdoor aqua park as well as a two-deck “inside promenade”

"Among the new features of the ships there will be specially designed cabins for families and an “extended” MSC Yacht Club, the entirely self-contained private club on the prestigious foredecks that will now be completed with a vast solarium, a private lounge and restaurant and duplex suites."

Yacht Club and speciality dining is proving popular and lucrative in the US market. These ships are headed there so it makes sense to extend these relative to the Fantasia Class (e.g. the Divina).

Tim.

High res image (6705 x 3297, 3.7MB)

Edited by Skipper Tim

How do you know if those new ships will be based out of the US?

MSC has a very rare style of announcing new ships. No news at all in the webpage :confused:

I think it is just a Fantasia class but bigger. One cool feature would be the front solarium, but it will be YC only, so not something that attracts me.

There will be 2 lateral whirlpools in the middle of the ship that might be nice. The promenade deck looks better as well, it seems you'll be able to circle the ship entirely.

I'll have to know more details to judge.

How do you know if those new ships will be based out of the US?

MSC has a very rare style of announcing new ships. No news at all in the webpage :confused:

I think it is just a Fantasia class but bigger. One cool feature would be the front solarium, but it will be YC only, so not something that attracts me.

There will be 2 lateral whirlpools in the middle of the ship that might be nice. The promenade deck looks better as well, it seems you'll be able to circle the ship entirely.

I'll have to know more details to judge.

msc said today the ship will make winter carebean cruise and summer med cruise

Thanks for the info. Seems a logic move, just the same thing that RCI will do with Allure of the Seas (which seems nicer to me). Did they said something about the med itineraries? Maybe a western med out of Genoa / Civitavechia / Barcelona?

Thanks for the info. Seems a logic move, just the same thing that RCI will do with Allure of the Seas (which seems nicer to me). Did they said something about the med itineraries? Maybe a western med out of Genoa / Civitavechia / Barcelona?

Just it will during 7 days ..

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I had been expecting something different from MSC but from the picture it looks like more of the same Fantasia class just bigger! once again most passengers will be denied being able to go to the front deck of the ship because of the inability to move the yacht club elsewhere, that is of course unless MSC have engineered somewhere at the front for the rest to be able to go.

Time will tell of course how the ship eventually turns out.

Catering to the indulgent Big Box, Costco, Second Helping, American culture.

"Whatever you do, just make it the biggest with the most stuff. I don't care what it does, I just want to be able to say I had the most."

God we embarrass ourselves sometimes without even knowing it.

I had been expecting something different from MSC but from the picture it looks like more of the same Fantasia class just bigger! once again most passengers will be denied being able to go to the front deck of the ship because of the inability to move the yacht club elsewhere, that is of course unless MSC have engineered somewhere at the front for the rest to be able to go.

Time will tell of course how the ship eventually turns out.

Is there really an alternative location onboard for the Yacht Club? The very top front is the best location for such an enclave. Seems like they are going to enlarge the YC to three decks. I agree, there should be front promenade/place for other passengers too.

Very interesting design of the ship but this is only an early artist impression of the design.

This is great news for MSC. For some reason though the ship is very reminiscent of Quantum of the Seas; exterior wise.

cjlnox-

Quick question please? What lense did you use to take the three attached photos please?? They are awesome!

Very interesting design of the ship but this is only an early artist impression of the design.

Hardly! They will have spent years designing and engineering it in secret before starting negotiations with prospective builders. Minor details may change but this will be a 3D image generated from the actual engineering plans.

Gênoa, Marseille and Barcelona

NC 73 ... They could use the centre of the ship as they have done on the Queen Elizabeth and Victoria for the Queen and Princess Grills plus they could also have the restaurant there as well.

Hardly! They will have spent years designing and engineering it in secret before starting negotiations with prospective builders. Minor details may change but this will be a 3D image generated from the actual engineering plans.

The details are important :) the 3D looks very nice and it's clear that this is MSC signature ship.

I for one hope, nay, pray they have a wrap-around promenade and front observation deck. Then maybe I can cruise on MSC without having a dreadful, frightful, forgettable experience. Oh no, that's somebody else.

Now that's funny, had me smiling all day today!:D