Island Princess Cabin D720

coolcagolfer

We have cabin D720, the only inside cabin on the dolphin deck of the Island Princess. All other cabins on dolphin deck have balconies. There is a large aft balcony just a few steps from our door, which we planned on using. My guess is that it will not get much use by others on dolphin deck, as they have their own private balconies.

Now, I see that an obstructed view cabin (guarantee only) is available for the same price. We are torn between D720 and what might (or might not) be a very obstructed oceanview cabin. We are inclined to keep D720 and not take our chances with the obstructed oceanview cabin.

Any thoughts? recommendations?

Tough call. I like to book the aft insides similar to that a lot when they are close to an open deck for easy outside access.(the Aloha deck aft on the Grand class, forward on Emerald on the Grand, and Aloha/ Baja forward on a lot) I also book a lot of obstructed cabin as I'm not really concerned with a view but love the natural light in the morning.

If the inside was much cheaper I'd stay with it but for the same price would probably choose the obstructed. Usually you are close to a stairway and its only one deck down to the promenade so you can be outside pretty quickly if you need to see something.

We have cabin D720, the only inside cabin on the dolphin deck of the Island Princess. All other cabins on dolphin deck have balconies. There is a large aft balcony just a few steps from our door, which we planned on using. My guess is that it will not get much use by others on dolphin deck, as they have their own private balconies.

Now, I see that an obstructed view cabin (guarantee only) is available for the same price. We are torn between D720 and what might (or might not) be a very obstructed oceanview cabin. We are inclined to keep D720 and not take our chances with the obstructed oceanview cabin.

We were on the Coral(same as the Island) last year on the Dolphin deck with a Mini Suite and I did notice the one interior cabin is very close to the public aft balcony. I went out there a few times and it seemed to be rarely used. I went out just to see what was viewable on the other side of the ship and to view the wake.

The only thing I would add is that there was no furniture on this balcony. I believe the aft balcony on the Caribe and Baja is much larger and may have chairs on it. However, there is plenty of room to go out and stand and view the wake or either side.

It is also very quiet that far aft and you have the laundry right there.

Have a good cruise.

The back deck is so great! IMHO, I'd keep the inside cabin at a lower price and use the back deck balcony as much as possible! We've booked balcony cabin's and still use the aft balcony!

As far as furniture goes, it doesn't really seem to make sense :confused:. We've had furniture on the back deck (deck chair's and small table's) and we've also been told that no furniture is allowed there :confused:!

The back deck is so great! IMHO, I'd keep the inside cabin at a lower price and use the back deck balcony as much as possible! We've booked balcony cabin's and still use the aft balcony!

As far as furniture goes, it doesn't really seem to make sense :confused:. We've had furniture on the back deck (deck chair's and small table's) and we've also been told that no furniture is allowed there :confused:!

We were on the Coral (sister to the Island) in November in a cabin on Dolphin. We walked out on the aft viewing deck several times. This is a very narrow deck, maybe 3 feet wide/deep and didn't have any furniture because I don't think any would fit.

We've also stayed in C727 cabin on Caribe on both the Island and the Coral which is the very last cabin on the starboard side of the ship. The door to the aft deck was a couple of feet from our door. We actually spent a little time on the aft deck on loungers or just leaning over the railing watching the scenery go by and listening to the wake. Great place to spend time for sure.

We've also stayed in C727 cabin on Caribe on both the Island and the Coral which is the very last cabin on the starboard side of the ship. The door to the aft deck was a couple of feet from our door. We actually spent a little time on the aft deck on loungers or just leaning over the railing watching the scenery go by and listening to the wake. Great place to spend time for sure.

We are in C728 next month on the Island. So they did have loungers on the aft deck? A few months ago someone on here said there was no furniture on the Caribe Aft deck. Maybe they meant the Dolphin???

The obstructed view cabins on the Island & Coral are not the nicest cabins and if you get a guarantee only then you could end up with a very obstructed view.

Have a look at my website and see for yourself what those obstructed look like.

Theo

We are in C728 next month on the Island. So they did have loungers on the aft deck? A few months ago someone on here said there was no furniture on the Caribe Aft deck. Maybe they meant the Dolphin???

There was indeed furniture on the aft Caribe deck last month when we were on the Island. It was a nice place to sit and read while waiting for our laundry to finish. And we watched a wonderful sunset from there, too!

There was no furniture on the aft Dolphin deck. I never made it up to the Baja deck to check.

Lounge chairs on the aft deck of the Island princess on Caribe are really nice place to sit.:) Sometimes in the morning the cushions can be very wet and you don't realize this until you get up. So you are walking to your cabin with a wet behind or in my case a very wet skirt that I had to change out of. :( So check to see if the chair cushions are wet before sitting down.

Lounge chairs on the aft deck of the Island princess on Caribe are really nice place to sit.:) Sometimes in the morning the cushions can be very wet and you don't realize this until you get up. So you are walking to your cabin with a wet behind or in my case a very wet skirt that I had to change out of. :( So check to see if the chair cushions are wet before sitting down.

Ha! So I'm not the only one! I did the same thing the last time that we were on the Coral in Panama in November. Wet behind for sure!

• 5 months later...

In an obstructed-view cabin the view might not be great, but at least you will have natural light. Also, D720 is next to the Laundromat and that could be noisy. Whatever you choose have a wonderful cruise!

Hendrika

Great Memories:

1980 Society Expeditions – Galapagos

1981 Island (old) Princess – Alaska

1988 Lindblad Expeditions – Sea of Cortez

1988 Society Expeditions – Canada/New England

1989 Society Expeditions – Alaska

1995 Cruise West – Alaska

1996 Kangaroo Explorer - Great Barrier Reef

1997 Reef Endeavour - Great Barrier Reef

1998 Reef Endeavour- Great Barrier Reef

2010 Sun Princess – Australia/New Zealand