Britannia’s Complete Deck Plans Now released

The problem is, I think exacerbated by the design of the newer ships and features they have included. Additionally, the bigger ships are built with a lot more decks but are not comparatively that much longer/wider. For instance - P&O Aurora is 885 feet long & 105 feet wide and carries around 2000 pax. Britannia will be 1083 long & 105 feet wide but carries double the number of pax. So using a ball-park figure (and allowing for my awful maths!) Britannia is about 20/25% longer and wider but carries 100% more pax.

Then take off the retreat, the cabanas in the adult-only pool area, giving 2 pax a very generous space, the likelihood of the Terrace deck being kids only, the aft deck area by the Sunset Bar being all Bar area as opposed to sun-deck and the promenade deck. Also, Aurora has a series of tiered aft sun-decks.

The problem is, I think exacerbated by the design of the newer ships and features they have included. Additionally, the bigger ships are built with a lot more decks but are not comparatively that much longer/wider. For instance - P&O Aurora is 885 feet long & 105 feet wide and carries around 2000 pax. Britannia will be 1083 long & 105 feet wide but carries double the number of pax. So using a ball-park figure (and allowing for my awful maths!) Britannia is about 20/25% longer and wider but carries 100% more pax.

Then take off the retreat, the cabanas in the adult-only pool area, giving 2 pax a very generous space, the likelihood of the Terrace deck being kids only, the aft deck area by the Sunset Bar being all Bar area as opposed to sun-deck and the promenade deck. Also, Aurora has a series of tiered aft sun-decks.

Britannia is wider than Aurora.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are the balconies a lot smaller than Ventura? We were thinking of returning to the Caribbean in late 2015 but it looks like it's a choice between Azura and Britannia. We prefer the 2 dress codes of the Britannia and like that it has retained the beach house but the balconies look tiny in the animations.

Are the balconies a lot smaller than Ventura? We were thinking of returning to the Caribbean in late 2015 but it looks like it's a choice between Azura and Britannia. We prefer the 2 dress codes of the Britannia and like that it has retained the beach house but the balconies look tiny in the animations.

Yes, the balconies are smaller and you can find more info on the Royal Princess balconies on the Princess forum.

According to the P&O web site Azura will have 2 dress codes from summer 2015.

Anyone like the new paint job?

Must say it looks a bit "Carnival" for me.

David

I hate it. It spoils the nice bow-lines. Wouldn't have a problem with a relatively small Union flag logo somewhere near the name but hate the humungous Aida-style ones.

Been looking at the Royal Princess deck plan, which is supposed to be a sister to Britannia, and it shows a promenade deck although it doesn't appear to completely encircle the ship but goes 90% around the ship so it is still possible to design ships with a promenade deck.

Been looking at the Royal Princess deck plan, which is supposed to be a sister to Britannia, and it shows a promenade deck although it doesn't appear to completely encircle the ship but goes 90% around the ship so it is still possible to design ships with a promenade deck.

I've seen pictures that show locked barriers that prevent passengers from walking behind the boats along that 'Promenade'. Have a look here; select Promenade deck form the list, then scroll down the page to the bottom of the boats and click on the little camera icon on the left/hand side.

The only spaces that are accessible are the more open areas.

Edited by tom_uk

I've seen pictures that show locked barriers that prevent passengers from walking behind the boats along that 'Promenade'. Have a look here; select Promenade deck form the list, then scroll down the page to the bottom of the boats and click on the little camera icon on the left/hand side.

The only spaces that are accessible are the more open areas.

I know that on Regal Princess they are going to be allowing passengers to walk behind the lifeboats, so they may perhaps do the same on Britannia.

Yes, the balconies are smaller and you can find more info on the Royal Princess balconies on the Princess forum.

According to the P&O web site Azura will have 2 dress codes from summer 2015.

Thank you. I'd not realised the Azura dress change so I think that might be our best option.

It would appear that having read the P&O Britannia magazine on their website

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/britannia/overview/

That Britannia will not be having an outside "sea screen" like on Azura as first thought, They will be showing films in " The Studio " next to the photo gallery on Deck 7

I for one love watching films on sea days, so indoor or outdoor I`m happy !!

I hate the new design - just looks like British Airways and for me spoils the look of a ship.

I found the lack of deck space on Azura to be a problem, particularly with sunbeds whereas I didn't find it a problem at all on Oriana or Arcadia. Both those ships have enormous deck space and of course less pax.

The Terrace Pool on Azura was for adults only, even though the kids club was just above it. Then one day the kids team led all the kids down to the Terrace Pool and they all climbed in!

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the standard balcony rooms have a smaller balcony than ventura/azura, is this the case?

I'm also trying to find out how many obstructed view balconies Brittania has as I have always booked the lowest grade balcony room and never had an obstructed view. (So far!)

Barry

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the standard balcony rooms have a smaller balcony than ventura/azura, is this the case?

Barry

They're much smaller. Here's an example:

royalprincess-balconybalcony-copy.jpg

That's a standard balcony cabin, but I believe the balcony depth is the same for all classes of balcony cabin (standard, deluxe, mini-suite, suite) along the port and starboard sides. I believe there are some larger balconies facing aft.

Edited by tom_uk

I have just been going through all the posts and I noticed that (Alvin moondust) made a comment that he had noticed some forward facing suites above the bridge.

I know that Cabins A107 and A108 look like suites and that the same cabins on Royal Princess are graded as “Mini Suites” but they are Infact DC class “!Superior Deluxe Cabins”

This highlights a point I posted about in the Cabin Selection Tips Forum under the thread “Confusing Cabin Color Codes”. With a video at: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2016534

Edited by Moray Firth Cruiser

Had a chat with P&O yesterday regarding obstructed view balconies and their new booking system.

In the past we have always booked late and booked the lowest balcony grade on Ventura and Azura, we have always been upgraded from the obstructed view balcony we booked to a balcony cabin without obstruction (I know the risks)

It appears that this will be a thing of the past now on Britannia, ie, if you book the lowest grade balcony (obstructed view) that's what you will get, she said I could request to be on the upgrade list but it would be very doubtful I would get one.

She said that this is because of the way Britannia is constructed, Britannia has no outside cabins so more balconies but many more with obstructed views in comparison to Ven/Azu, she also said that many balconies are completely obstructed by life rafts.

This fact, coupled with smaller balconies make me think I will wait to see some reviews before booking on Britannia and stick to Ventura and Azura for now.

Barry

Edited by Certa_Cito

Had a chat with P&O yesterday regarding obstructed view balconies and their new booking system.

In the past we have always booked late and booked the lowest balcony grade on Ventura and Azura, we have always been upgraded from the obstructed view balcony we booked to a balcony cabin without obstruction (I know the risks)

It appears that this will be a thing of the past now on Britannia, ie, if you book the lowest grade balcony (obstructed view) that's what you will get, she said I could request to be on the upgrade list but it would be very doubtful I would get one.

She said that this is because of the way Britannia is constructed, Britannia has no outside cabins so more balconies but many more with obstructed views in comparison to Ven/Azu, she also said that many balconies are completely obstructed by life rafts.

This fact, coupled with smaller balconies make me think I will wait to see some reviews before booking on Britannia and stick to Ventura and Azura for now.

Barry

That's really interesting. We are booked in an IB (obstructed balcony) for Aug 2015. I'm hoping the obstruction is the balcony off the Glasshouse rather than a lifeboat, that's what it looks like from the pictures, would this be classed as an obstruction?.

It is the highest grade of obstructed balcony and midship so I'm hoping it's not too bad.

According to the deckplans Britannia has 10 cabin categories, most of which have several grades within them. As I understand it purchasers of a saver fare will only be eligible for upgrades within the category they booked. Select fare bookers will, if they wish, have the opportunity to be upgraded to a different cabin category.

not sure how it works for an early saver.

According to the deckplans Britannia has 10 cabin categories, most of which have several grades within them. As I understand it purchasers of a saver fare will only be eligible for upgrades within the category they booked. Select fare bookers will, if they wish, have the opportunity to be upgraded to a different cabin category.

not sure how it works for an early saver.

Davecttr, The following is an extract from a Carnival Corp. press release in October 2013.

“Cunard Line and P&O Cruises are doing away with their 'Vantage' and 'Getaway' fares in 2014, less than a year after rolling out the fare structure.

The lines have replaced Vantage fares with 'P&O Cruises Select Price' and 'Cunard Fare' rates, which will allow passengers to pick their cabins as well as dining times and table sizes. The new fares also offer the possibility of cabin upgrades if higher-tier cabins become available prior to the cruise sail date, and include a choice of one of the following: onboard credit, car parking or coach transfers to Southampton. These two new fares will be available on all cruises, according to Cunard and P&O.

Getaway fares have been scrapped altogether, although both lines are introducing a new 'Early Saver' fare. These fares, like guarantee cabin fares, come at a reduced price, but don't allow passengers to choose a specific cabin, only the cabin category and general location on the ship. Unlike guarantee cabins, however, Early Saver fares don't offer the possibility of an upgrade, and mean that passengers will have lower priority when selecting dining times and tables.

The new fare types are bookable beginning 4 November, 2013, and apply to cruises from the spring of 2014 and beyond. All bookings on Getaway and Vantage fares before 4 November will be honoured, according to the lines. 100,000 cabins will be sold on the Select Price and Cunard Fares across 200 cruises, while 90,000 cabins will be available on the Early Saver fares across 178 cruises.”

I hope this helps clarify the situation.