Boarding the ship around 12-12:30? A zoo?

heckofagator

We normally run a little late for everything and in the past have boarded most cruises between 2-3pm. We are leaving on the Epic out of Miami and i have some family coming in that I haven't seen for a while. I thought it might be nice to do the boarding with them since they have never been on a cruise.

The thing that gets my wife all worried, other than the fact that we have to wake up early for the drive down there, is that she thinks boarding the ship around 12-12:30 (when the other family will get to the port) is going to be a nightmare.

So how bad is it at that time?

Well...that is getting close to the peak crowd time. Although we usually try to be there by 10:30, right at the front of the line, we have twice hit the noon or later crowd time. Surprising, although the line was super long, out the terminal door and snaked for hundreds of feet, it went quicker than I would have imagined. From the time we got in line until we were on the ship was about 1+15. I thought that wasn't too bad considering the volume of people.

Boarding usually starts at noon. Getting to the pier at noon you will in fact hit the peak crowds. I usually get there around 10:30. Checkin quickly and wait comfortably to one of the first to board while 100s stand in the longest lines of the day. If you don't want a zoo get there early or late avoid 12:00-12:30.

We have found that there are two "less busy" times. First, if you arrive by 10:30 or so you will be faced by small lines, if any, and will be on the ship around 11:15 to start your vacation. This is what we always do. If you arrived at 2:00 for a 5pm departure you'll also have smaller lines since most people have already arrived and gone on board.

In the middle...from 11:30 to around 1:30, is the busiest. You may find yourselves waiting in line for an hour to check in and board. Zoo? Well, depends on your definition. It's still organized, but there are are about 2000 people there trying to check in. :)

Edited by sdmike

We usually get to the port just before 11.00 AM, and we are always on the ship by 12.00 at the latest - some times even before. If you have the possibility, you should try to get there no later than 11.00 - IF you want to avoid the piek crowds.

Thanks for the thoughts. Yeah, she (my wife) already a bit unhappy about the preposition of leaving early and getting there early, so I don't need crazy lines to make things worse.

We have a 4-4.5 hour drive, so getting there earlier is not a particularly good option. Especially with the other family not getting to the port around noon anyway. Maybe I'll just make my life easier, leave after breakfast, get there mid afternoon with short lines and see the rest of the family on board.