Reasonable Upgarde Expectation

OK I KNOW that the entire upgrade thing is highly dependent on what cabins are available, how many of each, and any number of other factors. Given all of that, to what level of cabin would you guess/estimate might be reasonable to think would be offered to someone booked in a balcony BC or BD cabin? For example would something along the lines of a M6 be hoping for too much, would it be in the reasonable range, or would it be setting the goal too low? Any input is appreciated.

I have only been on 2 NCL cruises but on both I was upgraded for free. I watched prices very closely and upgraded after final payment. The first experience was on the Pearl-originally booked 2 balcony cabins and upgraded to 2 mini-suites when the price went down to lower then the original price I paid for the balcony. Actually, I tried to pay for a 2-bedroom Haven family suite but I would have been charged a penalty for cancelling one of the rooms.

The second was on the Epic-originally booked an inside cabin and got a free upgrade to a balcony when the price dropped to lower than what I paid for an inside (after final payment). Now, I did all the work and actively called in and requested an upgrade-no one called me. I don't remember all the room codes, so can't help you there.

I booked a BC on the Dawn nearly a year ago. I've watched as prices dropped from $939 to $879 and had it adjusted every time.

Our cruise leaves next Sunday, and just yesterday noticed MA mini-suites are going for $979. I called and got the upgrade. So, yeah....it's certainly reasonable. Just watch all the way til you are about to sail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both for the feedback. This is a very special cruise for my family as one or us will be cruise for possibly the last time as a result of a recently diagnosed serious health issue. The budget is tight so we have to spend as little as possible, at the same time the nicer level cabin would really be a special treat.

The chance of getting a call from NCL offering an upgrade is slim. Those do not happen often. I have cruised NCL many times and have NEVER gotten an upgrade that I did not ask for due to a price drop.

You need to watch the prices and see if a higher category cabin you'd like becomes available at the price you're currently paying (or is less than). Then call NCL or your TA and ask for the upgrade.

Your best bet is to make sure you have chosen a cabin you will be happy with ! :)

Edited by mizlorinj

Thanks for the tip. We are absolutely 100% going to be very hapy and have a wonderful cruise no matter what. If things work out and we get a free upgrade one one at a cost that we can afford so be it. We are several montshout still (not even ot final payment) but we have been keeping a steady eye on things and are confident that whatever works out will be just fine.

Thanks for the tip. We are absolutely 100% going to be very hapy and have a wonderful cruise no matter what. If things work out and we get a free upgrade one one at a cost that we can afford so be it. We are several montshout still (not even ot final payment) but we have been keeping a steady eye on things and are confident that whatever works out will be just fine.

This is the right attitude to have! Book something that you will be satisfied with regardless. And if something better comes along, either in the form of an upgrade or upsell, then that will be a nice surprise.

Have a great cruise.

The chance of getting a call from NCL offering an upgrade is slim. Those do not happen often. I have cruised NCL many times and have NEVER gotten an upgrade that I did not ask for due to a price drop.

You need to watch the prices and see if a higher category cabin you'd like becomes available at the price you're currently paying (or is less than). Then call NCL or your TA and ask for the upgrade.

Your best bet is to make sure you have chosen a cabin you will be happy with ! :)

We are happy with our chosen cabin on our Panama Canal Cruise next year. I am curious if anyone has noted if the Panama Canal Cruises are so popular and not as many, that the likelihood of prices dropping and hence chance to upgrade ?? It seems that reading the boards, the price drops are most common on the Carribean cruises....another bucket list B2B some day. I dread long flights, so have not yet done one of them yet.

Cheers

Huggs

OK I KNOW that the entire upgrade thing is highly dependent on what cabins are available, how many of each, and any number of other factors. Given all of that, to what level of cabin would you guess/estimate might be reasonable to think would be offered to someone booked in a balcony BC or BD cabin? For example would something along the lines of a M6 be hoping for too much, would it be in the reasonable range, or would it be setting the goal too low? Any input is appreciated.

One thing nobody seems to have mentioned is that nobody can tell you which categories would be possible to upgrade to. When talking about upgrading the cabin(s) yourself after a price drop, it all depends on the price you have actually paid (not your booked cabin category) and the new price of the category you might want to upgrade to and their difference (if any) - so the actual categories do not matter at all in that equation.