Going back into the Guarantee Pool?

CathyCruises

Didn't you agreed to take the reduced GTY pricing and category assignment?

You can move cabins in the category or pay more to move into another category but that's about it.

Didn't you agreed to take the reduced GTY pricing and category assignment?

You can move cabins in the category or pay more to move into another category but that's about it.

I was given my guarantee cabin, I enquired about moving to a cabin within the same category and even swapping to a lower one but I was told this was not possible if I wanted to change I would have to cancel and rebook

Guarantee cabins are cheaper because you have a risk to get a not so good cabin. If you could change the cabin after it's assigned, there would be no big risk.

You can upgrade (or cancel and rebook)

Edited by swoonx

Guarantee cabins are cheaper because you have a risk to get a not so good cabin. If you could change the cabin after it's assigned, there would be no big risk.

Makes complete sense, I only enquired about having 2 cabins next door to each other as the one next door was free, I only did this because I had read on here about swapping cabins

I was given a piece of advice from the rep on the phone, don't believe everything you read on the forums !

That's incorrect. Once you have been assigned a cabin you can move to another cabin if available within that category. I have done this before.

Has anyone ever been able to go back into the guarantee pool once their cabin has been assigned? Celebrity is telling me I can't do this but I am pretty sure I have read about it being done. I need ammunition!

Any ideas appreciated!

Really, it will not be that bad having a cabin close to me :p

Or tell Celebrity it will be that bad having a cabin close to me ;)

That's incorrect. Once you have been assigned a cabin you can move to another cabin if available within that category. I have done this before.

Oh really? Sorry if I was wrong. The last time we had guarantee we had to upgrade :/ (Also a guarantee cabin, but the upgrade was cheap and that time we got an excellent cabin.)

Actually Swoon was correct; in Europe generally you cannot change within the category you are assigned. In the US they do usually permit this, but it is a courtesy, not something one is automatically entitled to receive. I have occasionally heard people report being permitted to go back into the "pool" - but not very frequently and one certainly is not entitled to do this, but can of course make a request.

Thanks for the responses. I understand all about how guarantees work, etc., and I have no problem with getting what I paid for. But I am pretty sure that I have read here that people have asked to go back into the guarantee pool and have an opportunity to get a different cabin. And I could conceivably get a less-good cabin than the one I'm in--I get all that!

It's not a huge deal, I'm just curious if anyone has done it and what the result was. I didn't make it up, I'm sure I read it here.

I have also switched cabins in the same category on a guarantee before--there are none available on this sailing.

And I agree with Phoenix_dream--I could easily get a different answer by calling again!

We are from the UK.

We booked two GTY AQ cabins directly with Celebrity two years ago. We received one cabin at the front of the ship and one at the back. I rang Celebrity and they let me swop one cabin so we had two together. However there were only GTY cabins available we couldn't have booked numbered cabins, don't know if this was why Celebrity let us swop. The person I spoke with agreed straight away, I didn't have to persuade her.

I have also switched cabins in the same category on a guarantee before--there are none available on this sailing.

Theoretically, if you give up your cabin, and go back into the guarantee pool, and there are NO OTHER cabins available in that category, Won't you then be highly likely to be assigned to the same cabin?

Good luck, i hope it works out.

Theoretically, if you give up your cabin, and go back into the guarantee pool, and there are NO OTHER cabins available in that category, Won't you then be highly likely to be assigned to the same cabin?

I guess I didn't explain that very well. There are guarantee inside cabins available in every category--12,11, 10, and 9--so they must have some plan for those people!! If there were no insides, I wouldn't expect them to let me go back into the pool.;)

This is exactly what happened to us. The gty cabin was right at the bow so we asked to go back in the pool. Guess what, that's right, same cabin. Ended up paying to upgrade to mid-ships. I wouldn't take another gty unless location was really unimportant. It works for some people but not me.

I have had no success being thrown back in the pool. However, I have been successful after assignment switching within the category assigned. I got a bit of an exasperated sigh when they did it, but they did do it.

Good Luck :)

I have booked an inside guarantee, been assigned an inside cabin and arequested to be back into the pool and was then assigned an oceanview cabin....but this was many years ago and policies do change so I dont know if this is still possible.

I also managed to swap a AQ gty a couple of years back on a UK booking. I rang captains club and chose one with a huge balcony without any problem. Sadly the lady I spoke to doesn't work for them anymore so it's probably not so easy now.

We did that too with the same lady, she's sadly missed :(

I know she sometimes read these forums and loved Celebrity so if she's watching, here's a big hug and a wave from me! :D

Whilst I seen people switch within a cat, going back into the pool seems rare which isn't good for the OP :(