Ruby Princess Dance Floors

Dancer Bob

I'm with a group on Ruby next November. Someone has asked about size of dance floor, but I've never been on the ship.

Does anyone know the size of the floors (approximately, useful area/LOD)?

Also comments on music- what percentage meets NDCA/BDC standards? What hours are scheduled? Do they play dance music during band breaks? It's a group that does ballroom-style line dancing, they are scheduling daytime sessions, but curious if anything's available in the evening.

We were on the Ruby a couple years ago. The only dance floors were in Explorers Lounge and Wheelhouse. These floors are not very large. Club Fusion also has a dance floor, but it was not used for ballroom style dancing on the cruise we were on.

My wife and I like to ballroom dance, but we do not know ballroom style line dancing. My impression is that if the group is large, there will not be enough space on the two listed above for the group alone or for the group and other dancers.

We have had a great time dancing on two of our cruises and have had trouble finding room to dance on two due to large dance groups on the same cruise.

Edited by birdiebill

I'm with a group on Ruby next November. Someone has asked about size of dance floor, but I've never been on the ship.

Does anyone know the size of the floors (approximately, useful area/LOD)?

Also comments on music- what percentage meets NDCA/BDC standards? What hours are scheduled? Do they play dance music during band breaks? It's a group that does ballroom-style line dancing, they are scheduling daytime sessions, but curious if anything's available in the evening.

I don't know what all your codes mean, but here is the normal scoop on dancing and live music. Of course anything could and normally does change. Also if you are on the 4 day trip in Nov. things will be scaled back. I have not seen any dance music being played during the band breaks. There is background music. All live music and times will be listed each day in the Princess Patter.

Wheelhouse Bar, Normally a group playing ballroom music like fox trot, cha cha, rumba, tango, waltz, quick step, swing. Music in sets from 6pm until midnight. Larger breaks during the 6pm-9pm times, shorter breaks thereafter.

Explorer's Lounge - They may run comic shows, singers, game shows, karaoke, but also have live music at times. Usually more pop/rock, top 40 from he 60s through 90's.

Club Fusion - Also live pop/rock. They normally have a theme nights as well as game shows, karaoke.

Piazza pre dinner,- may be some opportunity to dance, depends on the group on board. Sometime the group they hire for that venue is classical, so not really dance music.

Line Dancing - Only organized line dancing I have seen is on Country & Western Night (if they have one), where they do a set of maybe tree canned line dances; at the sail away party & at the night deck partywhere the songs are usually Dollar Song, YMCA, things like that.

Club fusion has the largest floor, can fit maybe 50 couples, Wheelhouse maybe 20 and Explorer's maybe 30. Sometimes in Explorer's they lower the stage down to floor level allowing additional dance space. Depends on the activity.

Late night there is a DJ in Skywalker's. It has a disco style dance floor. I'm thinking you could request whatever music you wish from the DJ. No live music though.

On our last cruise Princess ran a few Big Band sessions with the Princess Orchestra.

Princess normally runs a Captain's Reception party in the Piazza, with live band and dancing. It's crowded and the music rock. The floor is marble.

Thanks. I wasn't involved in the ship selection, I have some concerns based on my experiences on other ships. It sounds like they're quite justified, I'll have to talk to the travel agent to see what they can organise.