Princess cruiser

We have only cruised princess and were thinking of taking a cruise on the oasis of the seas next feb. And were wondering if the ship has a big movie screen where you can watch movies at night like princess has. Thanks

Are they new release movies that you can lay on a chair and have some popcorn or cookies and watch under the stars? My kids love that. Are there any other major differences between the oasis and princess that you are aware of? We dont know anything about royal caribbean but have heard good things and love the pictures of the oasis.

Nothing alike! We go Princess when we want some quiet/relaxation. The Oasis/Allure is go, go, go. and you will not see it all in a week. Princess has the movies every night but RCCL will have shows and fit in a few movies in off nights. The shows are fantastic and not to be missed. The movies you can see at home or on DVD. Much more to do physically on RCCL during the day. Food venues are scattered all over the ship and are often just small but good places to eat. More pools, hot tubs on RCCL but then again crowd is larger too. They are different but equally great. Just depends on what you are looking for. We go RCCL when we go family and just adults, its Princess.

Are all of the food venues included except for a couple specialty restaurants or are there alot of restaurants that are not included in the cruise price?

Here's a dining guide that will help. The prices might not be quite right anymore:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/10020614_Allure_Specialty_Restaurant_Flyer.pdf

Edited by clarea

That is one of our options. We are either going on the caribbean princess next feb. Or we will try the oasis of the seas. Seems like alot of the food venues are not included in the cruise price. There does seem like alot to do tho which our kids (12,8) would love. It is such a tough decision but the oasis is quite a bit more expensive also.

That is one of our options. We are either going on the caribbean princess next feb. Or we will try the oasis of the seas. Seems like alot of the food venues are not included in the cruise price. There does seem like alot to do tho which our kids (12,8) would love. It is such a tough decision but the oasis is quite a bit more expensive also.

We are about to sail with RCI on the Allure of the Seas. We have loved our Princess sailings, including our last cruise on the Caribbean Princess. We chose the Allure this time because we are taking our 8 year old granddaughter, and there seems to be so much for her to do to keep her entertained. We, too, like to relax by the pool and watch the movies. We will let you know if it is possible to relax in the pool areas on the mega ship. When we return, I will be happy to let you know if we made the right choice. :)

Thank you so much. That would be great if you could write a review or make a comment about your cruise. I'll be looking forward to it. We are really torn on what to do.

Nothing that Princess has compares to the Oasis and Allure.

That doesn't make it better for you, but comparisons are really not valid.

You will be able to watch a movie on the big screen at the aquatheater on the Oasis, but it isn't like MUTS. No waiters walking around offering food and clearing up after you. No blankets. No padded loungers. The aquatheater has mesh sling chairs and wooden benches and some tall chairs at tables. You can bring your own food from other places, but it is a different experience from Princess' MUTS. (and it doesn't BLARE during the day :eek:)

As others have said, you won't miss MUTS. There is so much to do on Oasis. Oasis also shows 3D movies in the main theater inside during the day.

I believe that your assumption that there aren't many "included" food venues but mostly "fee" venues is incorrect. Yes, the pay venues exist, but it is beyond easy to never spend a dime beyond your cruise fare on food. The options exist for those who want them. Because the ship is so large, there are many many many choices - far more than you will find on a smaller ship.

Don't be torn. Try it. The worst that can happen is that you will decide that a Princess cruise suits you better. But I don't believe that you will be sorry that you cruised on the Oasis of the Seas.

The fact that you mentioned bringing the kids, I am going to recommend the Oasis by far over Princess. They will be entertained a lot more with Oasis than on a Princess ship. There is so much to do and a lot to eat that will NOT cost you extra.

It may seem like most of the food venues are costing extra, but with a ship that big there are A LOT of food venues in general. There is plenty to eat without a charge. Last I checked, Johnny Rockets does offer free breakfast (but not lunch), then there is the main dining room, Windjammer, Park Cafe, Sorrentos, Solarium Cafe, Wipe Out Cafe, and Cafe Promenade.

If that's not enough "free" food, then I dont know what to say!!

If the family doesn't enjoy it as much as Princess, then you dont have to ever go back on Royal Caribbean!

• 2 months later...
Thank you so much. That would be great if you could write a review or make a comment about your cruise. I'll be looking forward to it. We are really torn on what to do.

I am so sorry that I am only now getting back to you. Having sailed on both the Caribbean Princess and Allure Of The Seas, I strongly recommend you book the Oasis cruise. Your children will love it! As mentioned earlier, there are plenty of free food venues for your kids, and they will not miss MUTS because there are double large screens at the Aquatheater section of the ship under the stars and so much more for them to do in the evenings like watching an Aquatheater performance. Don't miss it! I now understand why Royal Caribbean consistently receives awards for their cruise kids clubs programs. The kids love hanging out with others at these clubs and participating in the activities. What I have read from others is true--the kids WANT to be at these clubs. Your children will also be able to play miniature golf under the stars or try their hand at flow riding (surfing) during the day. The basketball/sports court is much larger than anything I have seen on Princess. On the Allure, there were a couple of evening family activities on the Promenade which the kids loved--the Glow Party and the 80s Party. Also, the neighborhood concept and design on these megaships (Allure and Oasis) really works. I never felt crowded and never would have known there were nearly 6000 cruisers on the ship, the food was excellent, and there is something to do for every member of the family. Also, Royal Caribbean's Solarium, their version of Princesses' Sanctuary, is free and open to all adults over 18. In my opinion, the Solarium is nicer than the Sanctuary, there is plenty of seating, and it is quiet and restful if you need an adult place to escape. The pool and whirlpools are relaxing and heated. I have been a fan of Princess for many years, but Royal Caribbean just won over our entire family on our Allure cruise. I told you months ago that I would give you my opinion after we sailed on the Allure, and I think you should book that cruise on the Oasis. It is a great cruise experience for the entire family!:)

Nothing alike! We go Princess when we want some quiet/relaxation. The Oasis/Allure is go, go, go. and you will not see it all in a week. Princess has the movies every night but RCCL will have shows and fit in a few movies in off nights. The shows are fantastic and not to be missed. The movies you can see at home or on DVD. Much more to do physically on RCCL during the day. Food venues are scattered all over the ship and are often just small but good places to eat. More pools, hot tubs on RCCL but then again crowd is larger too. They are different but equally great. Just depends on what you are looking for. We go RCCL when we go family and just adults, its Princess.

I can concur, having sailed both, that the experience is somewhat different, and that indeed you should take advantage of the shows onboard. As for movies, no, RCCL doesn't come close to the MUTS experience, and you'll end up being disappointed if you try.