1 Parent Traveling with children

doberlady

Hi,

Haven't been here in a while-

For the life if me I can't remember if there is an issue with 1 parent cruising with the kids

mom and kids have same last name- bio father not traveling- mom as sole custody

Mom is re-married but uses the same last name as the kids

Is there an issue??

Hi,

For the life if me I can't remember if there is an issue with 1 parent cruising with the kids

Is there an issue??

I would call NCL to confirm, but I believe you would need to bring legal documentation showing you have sole legal custody. I know that was the case when my parents take my niece. They needed authorization from the parent and the legal documentation showing that she had sole custody.

There is no official form for this, but they may want proof that you have sole custody. However, it's rare that they actually ask for it unless there's a reason to...like if you had a different last name. Be safe and take information with you, but you probably won't need it.

Edited by sdmike

You will need a letter from their father giving his permission for you to take the children out of the country.

He has to sign it and it should be notarized.

You may never be asked to present it, but isn't it better to have it and not be asked than to be asked and not have it?

I speak from experience. My son and I have taken two cruises together while he was under age without my husband and I had letters both times.

This summers cruise my son will be 18 and therefore I won't need to have it.

ETA: last name and sole custody mean nothing.

Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

All should be fine unless the cruise is to Canada:

For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a PARENT/GUARDIAN CONSENT RELEASE FORM (PDF) that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to a Norwegian Cruise Line representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.

Bringing Minors In to Canada

Canadian entry requirements stipulate that a child under the age of 18 traveling alone, or with person(s) other than both parents, should be in possession of a letter (preferably notarized) from the parents or legal guardian containing:

Authorization for the child to travel with another person and to be outside the country;

The name and a 24-hour contact telephone number of the parents or guardian; and

The destination and length of stay in Canada.

Adoptive parents, legal guardians or persons separated or divorced are advised to keep legal and other relevant documents available in order to clarify custody rights.

When I sailed last July with two of my minor kids (who I have sole custody of), I brought my custody papers and a notarized statement from their father that I could take them on the cruise. I was never asked for any of the documentation. They all had their own passports...and our last names matched.

I seem to remember that NCL had a form that had to be completed by the solo parent taking kids on a cruise...a form that the other parent had to sign and it had to be notarized. Perhaps this has changed in the past year??

Good luck...I remember stressing over these details!

I have traveled with my daughter twice on NCL within the past 7 months. She has a passport and we've never been asked anything about another parent. By the way, the same is true for 6 other international trips and more than 20 domestic flights we have taken.

Edited by KweezyCruiser

When I sailed last July with two of my minor kids (who I have sole custody of), I brought my custody papers and a notarized statement from their father that I could take them on the cruise. I was never asked for any of the documentation. They all had their own passports...and our last names matched.

I seem to remember that NCL had a form that had to be completed by the solo parent taking kids on a cruise...a form that the other parent had to sign and it had to be notarized. Perhaps this has changed in the past year??

Good luck...I remember stressing over these details!

That form is required if someone is taking a child that is not their own or for which they are not legal guardian, like if your kid was bringing a friend. If you click on "NCL Documents" in my signature area, it's a travel authorization form towards the bottom. Since she is the parent, this form doesn't apply

I don't think NCL would even ask you about it since you have the same last name as the kids. Check in with your kids, have your husband check in by himself. No problems. People in the same rooms do check in on their on sometimes.

I've traveled with my two girls many, many times, on cruise ships and airplanes, without their father. I have always gotten a notarized letter from their father, but I've never been asked for it, nor do I think I ever would. We do have the same last name.

I'm a "better safe than sorry" kind of person, though, and also paranoid. I'm sure that the ONE time I don't get it I'll be asked for it. It's an unreasonable paranoia, though. If their father weren't in the picture I couldn't get that letter even if I wanted to.

So, don't worry about it is my advice!

I always take a notarized letter with me when I travel with the kids by myself. Canada seems to be the country that always asks for it. The European countries did not care.

It is not NCL that cares it is the border agents at airport and cruise terminal.

I would not go with out one and will have it next month when the kids and I do a Mexico cruise. I think it is the countries that are closest that they think you may be smuggling the kids out.

I travel quite often with my daughters without my husband. I always carry a notarized letter from him. I've never been asked for it by the cruise lines. I was asked for it once in 2007 at passport control in the Frankfurt airport while connecting for our flight to Barcelona for a TA cruise. Very glad I had it.

Edited by hencoll

Hi,

Is there an issue??

tech you have to have the father's permission via a notarized letter: will the cruise line ask about this, maybe not, but don't take a chance, get the letter. It is better to be safe than sorry. It doesn't make any difference who has custody