Fortuna Oct 9th

bimms

Anyone going on the Fortuna Oct 9th, Looking to hook up with some English speaking people to do some private excursions. We are flying in from London for day days in Genoa prior to the cruise.Any hints as to what to do/see in this area.

We are Canadians so we will probably apologize to all those pushing us aside at the buffet as per "Shrinks" experience...

• 3 weeks later...

I think we will go by train. Are you sailing on the 9th Oct. I live in Canada but I'm also an ozzie, would be great if we were travelling the same time, at least we speak the same language..:D

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I will be on this cruise...just booked today !

First time with Costa...so looking forward to a slightly different experience.

Haven't really had any thoughts about excursion yet.

Oh.....and we are English speakers...but with a funny accent :)

Alan & Calum

Talk about funny accents, I'm an Aussie having lived in Canada for thirty three years. We'll look out for you, maybe they will sit all the funny speaking English folk together. We have booked a few excursions, I hear Pompii is a must. Looking forward to our first Costa cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

We are a married couple from the states. I am from the South but will try to keep my accent to a minimum! We are interested in excursions with small groups also. Is there anyone going from Milan to Savona and how are you getting there? I wouldn't mind going on a bus if one is available. Do they really put English speaking folks at the same table? That would really be great.

At this time of year, do we need to bring mostly cold weather clothes? Looking forward to the cruise!

Hello Fortuna October 9 cruisers--we will be joining you, coming from Atlanta, but not all of us have funny accents. We are very much looking forward to the trip and sharing info and experiences as well as meeting everyone. One question that someone may know about excursions is regarding Pompeii--does anyone know why the Pompeii excursion is the only one that is rated a Level III in difficulty? Is it simply because one must be careful not to trip over rocks or is there a long steep climb that my mother in law will not be able to do? Any info would be very much appreciated.

OK I did the Pompeii excursion in August (very hot!) so should know about this one. Don't miss it - it's amazing! The ground is rough and you have to look where you're walking so definitely no high heels. There is an uphill slope when you first enter the ruins but only for a couple of minutes and it's not very steep. That's it - I really wouldn't call it a difficult walk at all. We had a superb guide so I hope you get the same one.

Is there anyone going from Milan to Savona and how are you getting there? I wouldn't mind going on a bus if one is available.

Hi Celestial traveller!

We are flying into Milan too! Costa has organised transfers from the Airport to Savona for us by bus. (read on another post this takes approx 2hrs 40min)

Might be worth asking your Travel Agent to look into this if it is of use?

See you all onboard soon!

Alan

This is to your response about the Pompeii excursion, did you take the Costa excursion? I will be there the end of November and Pompeii is one reason I am taking the cruise. Did you feel like you got enough time to explore the site or was it controlled pretty much by the guide. Lots of talk but not enough time to see things. I am reading a book on Pompeii now and will have a pretty good lay of the land when I get there. Just curious. Thanks:)

I took the Costa excursion which was quite expensive but I felt was worth it. The time was fairly limited and I didn't want to waste it trying to sort out trains etc but I expect it would be possible if you really want to go it alone.

As I said, we had a really good guide, with interesting commentary right from the port. In Pompeii itself we didn't have any free time except right at the end to explore the inevitable shops but I felt it was worthwhile to be told about the different parts and be shown the highlights as it's quite a big place and you could waste a lot of time wandering aimlessly. It was an extremely hot day and we didn't feel we would have wanted to stay any longer than the organised tour anyway. One word of warning - parts were not open to the public due to work going on. From memory these included the brothels and one of the main houses, so don't have too set an idea on which parts you want to visit. We didn't go to the large amphitheatre either as that is further out, but I have been there before so I wasn't bothered. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions about this cruise and I'll do my best.

I have been away for a couple of weeks so have not been able to respond to any boards. I am very pleased that so many of you have or will be going on the Fortuna. It has been extremely beneficial in deciding which excursions to take. I have noticed that the excursions online are differnt to the ones that came with my ticket?? I look forward to meeting you all onbaord, we are on the early dinner list. We have Scotts,Ozzies,Canadians (from both sides of the counrty) and now Southerners, should be interesting to see whom is seated with whom.

Bimms (Sharyn)

Hi Ya'll !!

Alan2504 - We will be flying in on the 8th, so I'm not sure how that will work. I think I will call Costa and see If we can meet up with the bus.

newkruzers - We do have the late seating. Hope to meet up with you there. Thanks for the weather update. I guess I will bring sweaters.

atlanta99 - We are coming from your neck of the woods - Bonaire - south of Warner Robins. What a small world !

bimms - How are you going to plan your excursions ? Is there a web site that you are using ? Time is getting short here and I don't know whether to go ahead and book through the ship, or try to hook up with a group once we get on the cruise. We are mostly interested in the Pompeii trip. My daughter went with her school and she said that four hours was plenty of time to see it.

Thank you very much for all the info about the Pompeii trip. That was extremely helpful information.

It is great to be able to touch base with those of you going on the Oct 9th sailing. Wouldn't have thought that we would come across other Georgians on this particular trip.

We will be easy to pick out--I will have my 11 year old daughter with blonde hair in tow (she has no school that week), as well as wife, mom and mother in law. Dinner at the early seating (speaking of which--for the men out there, is it really ok simply to wear a dark suit for formal nights or do I really need to drag a tux there?).

Leaving for Rome next Wednesday night and starting to count the hours !:)

Is there anyone traveling from the Milan Airport on Oct 9 who doesn't have transportation to the ship? I checked and we can't get on the transfer through Costa. We are thinking of renting a car and leaving it in Savona for the week. Does anyone know if there is a charge to leave the car at the port? I dread thinking of trying the train.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived