All things Glory

richbum

Hello fellow cruisers....the family and I are thinking about booking a cruise on the Glory....I can't find a whole lot of info on this ship, so if you could post any and all info about Glory (pix too)...it would be great. What is your opinion of this ship...I want the good, bad and ugly. Thanks in advance!!! Have a great day, and thanks for reading!:D

Thank you both very much....I'm not sure why the list didn't come up when I did a search....just got a bunch of roll calls and stuff that had nothing to do with Glory...oh well...keep the info (and pix) coming...lets get a big "Glory" post on here!!!

I've been on her three times, including a B2B last summer. I can tell you that she is a great ship. The 12 days in a row were fantastic- never did I want it to end and never did I have a single problem. The little-known forward decks on 6,7 and 9 (don't hold me to it if I'm not exactly right on deck numbers ;)) are wonderful to have. Never crowded and just: cool. The crew was the usual- falling over themselves to be helpful and nice. We really got to know the photo crew and they were hilarious, although I'm sure they've rotated out by now. My son had a great time in the kids club (15) and my husband and I had not one complaint. The previous time I had been on Glory was also absolutely effortless- no complaints, all good. I'll try to attach some pics....

Has she had the upgrades done yet...or is she scheduled? I'm sure I will have a hundred more questions......

Yes, she had undergone the Fun Ship 2.0 update. I don't drink so I can't speak for Alchemy Bar or Blue Iguana, but Guy's Burgers were really good and the breakfast burritos at (I'm spacing the name) were fantastic- get the little tater tots in them.

I should say that four friend from work were on Glory last week and they had a terrific time. Three of them were on their first cruises so of course it's all they can talk about. But everything they are saying mirrors my experience- great crew, very user-friendly ship,

We were just on her in Dec. Has the 2.0 upgrades-Guys burgers, Blue Iguana- loved the breakfast items there more than the buffet! We were on the first week of the new menu. The menu items I thought were good, but service was difficult being a whole new system. I'm sure by now you will have no issues. The ships theme is colors, and everything is named a color.

In the afternoon the is live acoustic music by the red frog/blue iguana bars.

I liked everything about the ship and the voyage except for the issues with the menu rollout, which should no longer be a problem, and I will have to say we had some minor issues with our invisible room steward, which had really never happened before on carnival to us. But they were minor and just an inconvenience, so not a reflection of the ship. Really just a luck of the draw for stewards.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank for posting...your pictures are amazing. You are very talented. Can someone tell me about the new menu that some people have been talking about....does anyone have pics of it?

Here is a copy of the new menu. Keep in mind they are constantly tweaking, I noticed a few small differences between our menu and this one but it is pretty close.

ETA It really helps if I include the link

http://zydecocruiser.net/menus/aNew/index.htm

The new menu has fewer appetizer options. Some people are upset about the lack of soup variety and the fact they aren't currently offering cold soups. I never order soup so I never noticed.

There is a "main" section that changes nightly and a "from the grill section" that remains fairly consistent, a fish, chicken and beef option (the cuts of beef and types of fish do vary). The way it was explained to me by our first waiter was that the "mains" come as a complete dish so you don't have to order a side and the "from the grill" is stand alone so you should order a side or two. I didn't find the mains were always a complete dish. Sometimes it was, but sometimes not. For example, my husband order the Chateaubriand and it came only with mushrooms.

There is a section for sides that changes as well but you can order the staples even if not listed. One night we asked for mashed potatoes and it wasn't a problem even though it wasn't listed as a side that night.

You can still orders as many items as you want. We were told by the waiter he could only serve one item at a time. I had someone comment on my review that they were allowed to have it all at once so I guess it depends.

There is also a "port of call" section that has a drink suggestion, appetizer and main that is based on the port you were just at.

Another new thing is the "for the table" option. You can order it for yourself or you can order it to share with whoever you want. You don't have to share with those at the table you don't know.

The dessert menu is smaller and some long time favourites are gone (at least for now). The Warm Chocolate Melting Cake is still there but it is now called Carnival's Melting Chocolate Cake.

Personally, I really liked the new desserts.

Edited by 1kaper
forgot the link

We were on the Glory last week. Our room steward Elmer and one of our waiters MYO were the bright spots onboard this ship. The guest service manager also was very helpful with trying to keep the music and singing from the 3rd deck lobby bar from disturbing us in our 9th deck room. The DJ plays almost all rap and hip hop music at the Lido pool and he plays it so loud we could hear the thump thump from the music on our balcony. It was an irritant all week. I complained about this but the CD only called once while we were at dinner. He left a message but never called back. This contrasted sharply with the guest services manager who called and spoke with me 3 times to make sure we were satisfied with his efforts. We were. The CD did send a bottle of wine and some chocolate strawberrys to my room but I had no interest in these and the strawberrys sat unused. My wife tried the wine but did not like it so it was discarded. We tried the Guys burgers twice and although they are ok, the burgers Carnival had before were better. The vibration in the Platinum dining room is so bad that we saw glasses and a bottle of wine walk off the tables since there are no tablecloths on most nights.

Edited by antiquitys

Thanks for posting the menus....It really looks like there is less to choose from than there was on our last cruise (Destiny in 2011). I think we could find something to eat though.....antiquitys...it sounds like you had a few technical difficulties on your cruise....I hope that it was still enjoyable for you....I would have loved the chocolate strawberries...but could have done without the wine...What does everyone think about the décor.....Was any of it updated when they did the 2.0 upgrades? What about the Hasbro games....Are they fun to play?

We sailed on Glory March 8 - 16 and I failed to be impressed by the 2.0 upgrades. This was the first ship we've sailed on that has been upgraded to 2.0; our 14th cruise with Carnival.

We didn't like the new menu in the dining room and found it confusing and not much of a selection compared to previously. Desserts weren't as good and the Melting Cake is better out of my own oven then what I had on Glory. I've always loved it until this time around.

The dining room has less drink staff, but the same number of dining staff with more tables so the services isn't as personal. No linens in the dining room unless it's on formal night so the tables are less appealing.

We were in the Platinum room and there was a lot of vibration so things moved around the table a lot; during dinner and brunch.

Guys Burger's were great as were the fries.

Less bar staff on the Lido and outside decks. I only had one drink from a waiter, the rest of the time we had to go to the bar ourselves.

Shows were good, nice to have a change after the last 10 years though less dancing. The singing is shared among all rather than two main singers. The decor is nice, fresh and appealing. Room stewards are great as always, as is room service.

All in all, we'll stay away from 2.0 ships as much as possible until there isn't a choice then decide if we will sail with another line more often instead.

Hi. I invite you to read my review of a 7 day cruise on the Glory out of Boston last summer. The link's in my signature.

Sent from my Asus Fonepad using the Cruise Critic Forums app.

Thanks for posting this....Can I ask why you have to have your shades pulled at certain times? Where on the ship was your room located? I hope you had fun in Maine....That's my stompin grounds....we are well known for our Chowda!:D

I'm on the Glory in 2 weeks, and can't wait!

We sailed her sister ship Liberty in September 2012 and loved he so much we knew we'd be booking another Conquest class ship.

I'm hoping the new menus aren't too disappointing, but DH and I aren't very picky so we should be fine.

Thanks for starting this thread! I've searched for Glory stuff too and it seems pretty limited. I plan on doing a review when we get back for that reason.