Design Defect on 11th Deck Aqua Rooms on the Connie

Bfson

We just got back from a lovely cruise on the Connie in Aqua class on 11. But the only thing that was really difficult is sitting out on the verandah. Yes they hang out nicely. Yes they get lots of sun. But don't try sitting out there in anything but calms seas. Every time I was out there with any sort of swells causing the cabin to move, the sliding glass doors would slide open or slide shut repeatedly. They could not be locked open or closed. All day long you could hear the doors of other cabins repeatedly sliding open and closed. I finally wedged my cane between the slider and the frame to hold it closed. They should have put in a locking mechanism from the outside (as there is from the inside.) Not a super big deal but annoying.

Edited by Bfson

We just got back from a lovely cruise on the Connie in Aqua class on 11. But the only thing that was really difficult is sitting out on the verandah. Yes they hang out nicely. Yes they get lots of sun. But don't try sitting out there in anything but calms seas. Every time I was out there with any sort of swells causing the cabin to move, the sliding glass doors would slide open or slide shut repeatedly. They could not be locked open or closed. All day long you could hear the doors of other cabins repeatedly sliding open and closed. I finally wedged my cane between the slider and the frame to hold it closed. They should have put in a locking mechanism from the outside (as there is from the inside.) Not a super big deal but annoying.

We just came off the Connie and noticed we couldn't lock our door even from the inside. It wasn't a big deal and we didn't even tell the steward about it. It would be annoying if the door mover in rough seas, but we were in calm waters. I once got locked out on the balcony when a loose handle slipped from the open to the closed position.

We just came off the Connie and noticed we couldn't lock our door even from the inside. It wasn't a big deal and we didn't even tell the steward about it. It would be annoying if the door mover in rough seas, but we were in calm waters. I once got locked out on the balcony when a loose handle slipped from the open to the closed position.

Ours locked fine from the inside.

Did you pull the handle into the upright position?

My DH will not stay in a stateroom if the balcony door will not lock. :eek: He will not even allow us to keep our screened porch door from bedroom open at night. :rolleyes:

As for the sliding back and forth of the doors during the daytime hours, when I am on the balcony,,, that will get annoying quite quickly.:( Thanks for the cane tip. I may take collapsible cane that was my mothers and use it.

We were in Connie cabin 1132 in February and our experience with the balcony door was that it was rather hard to open and close. We had only calm seas however so perhaps that is why we never experienced this issue. I believe it would have taken quite a bit of swells motion to slide that door open and/or closed on its own. Also, the door did lock from the inside and we made sure it was locked whenever we left the cabin. The sliding door felt quite "heavy" and required a bit of a tug to move it. DH wanted to suggest some WD-40 to lubricate it and make it slide easier. Now I am glad he didn't since having it continously bang open and closed on its own might have proven annoying.

I've been in AQ on deck 11 on the Connie twice and never experienced what the OP describes.

Were you ever on the verandah in moderate swells? I could hear doors all over the place sliding open and closed (if not latched from the inside).

Edited by Bfson

We booked a cruise on Connie yesterday and were offered one of those cabins...we were told they were the newer AQ cabins....

we felt they were a bit too high up so we chose an AQ on a lower deck...hope no door issues....

We were on the Connie last month in 1140, right in the middle of the aft with a huge balcony. All the cabins around us had banging doors. We tied ours open with a luggage strap because the temperature was great for leaving it open sometimes. It was really annoying hearing everybody's doors bang open and shut. We had a huge balcony but the heat during the day with very little breeze really wasn't much fun so we only used it early or late. During the day we hung out on deck 11 midship in the shade. Loved the location, close to everything but next time we would go back to deck 9.

We were in 1117 on the Connie and the door wouldn't lock for me, nor for my wife who is far more clever than I. Calm seas so no sliding problem which would be intolerable. Who's going to come in through the door ?, so we were not concerned.

We were in Connie cabin 1132 in February and our experience with the balcony door was that it was rather hard to open and close. We had only calm seas however so perhaps that is why we never experienced this issue. I believe it would have taken quite a bit of swells motion to slide that door open and/or closed on its own. Also, the door did lock from the inside and we made sure it was locked whenever we left the cabin. The sliding door felt quite "heavy" and required a bit of a tug to move it. DH wanted to suggest some WD-40 to lubricate it and make it slide easier. Now I am glad he didn't since having it continously bang open and closed on its own might have proven annoying.

Thank you...that's my cabin. :)

We were on the Connie last month in 1140, right in the middle of the aft with a huge balcony. All the cabins around us had banging doors. We tied ours open with a luggage strap because the temperature was great for leaving it open sometimes. It was really annoying hearing everybody's doors bang open and shut. We had a huge balcony but the heat during the day with very little breeze really wasn't much fun so we only used it early or late. During the day we hung out on deck 11 midship in the shade. Loved the location, close to everything but next time we would go back to deck 9.

And this is the cabin that my brother and wife have booked. :D